New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone running 17lb injectors on their 3L? I'm curious what 17lb injectors max out at. I ran my 19's up to ~300whp before they ran out of steam and I'm wondering if NA 3L's would be fine with 17lb injectors. I always install 19's in the 3L's I build so I've never even tried to run 17's.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Is anyone running 17lb injectors on their 3L? I'm curious what 17lb injectors max out at. I ran my 19's up to ~300whp before they ran out of steam and I'm wondering if NA 3L's would be fine with 17lb injectors. I always install 19's in the 3L's I build so I've never even tried to run 17's.
Honestly since I began tuning I've doubted that they really need changed for normal NA 3Ls. Only one way to prove it though. This information came from years back so I don't know if it's been thoroughly tested or not.

·
Premium Member
14,377 Posts
they may or may not be maxed out but eitherway your going to drastically shorten the life of the injectors.

I believe jaged's original 3L was on 17's before he bought it.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
friend of mine was running 17# injectors in his hybrid, I did do some data logging but I don't recall if I logged the fuel trims or not. however the imrc wasn't working at the time so I don't know if the logging would provide anything usefull anyway but i look at it again when I get home

·
Super Moderator
22,336 Posts
the stock coug injectors in the 3L is what i had (17# i think) and it ran fine but it struggled when i pushed it. running the stock 3L injectors now and they work fine, but i think im going to upgrade to some larger ones

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Just some food for thought, isn't the stock 3L come with 20lb injectors? Why would Ford use those instead of say the 17lbs.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Just some food for thought, isn't the stock 3L come with 20lb injectors? Why would Ford use those instead of say the 17lbs.
I don't think that is any new food for thought, we all know the 3L come with 19lb and 24lb injectors which is partly why it has always been assumed that an upgrade in injectors is needed. Since you can run a 75 shot of dry nitrous off stock 17lb injectors I don't see why a 3L could not run off them, but it would still probably need to be tuned to change the fuel trims. So, in the long run upgraded injectors and a tune are still the best.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts