New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just as the title says. what would you do if you could spend it towards your engine and or transmission?

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
probably tranny if it were me............

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im not sure what i want to do yet. i was thinking stage 2 clutch/quaife then maybe save a little more and throw a bottle in the trunk. does anyone know if the quaife is compatible with our trannys. i feel i just asked a dumb question but on cc.com, it specifies the clutchs for the v-6 so this kind of made me question it. i just found out last night that this club im in is sponsored by this shop. they're offering a $500 clutch for $250. im not sure what kind of clutch. when i found this out, i decided i do not know what im going to do till i talk to the shop. i would really like to do what jason said and the tranny work but i will be NEEDING a clutch here soon. i have 100,300mi on my stock clutch and i kissed drag style launches goodbye about a year ago(actually, i couldnt help to do it every now and then)

any other combos anyone wants to throw out there?

·
Registered
832 Posts
Homemade turbo.:biggrin:

·
Registered
597 Posts
I have to agree with Seawulf...............:thumbsup:

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
one of the reasons i am waiting to talk to this shop. a turbo could be an option, but i am not getting my hopes up.
i wish i could do the turbo on my own but i know i will mess something up or just flat out not get it right.

·
Registered
573 Posts
And I have to agree with Seawulf and Afterhours. $1400 bucks, a junkyard, some spare time and a little ingenuity = turbocharged Zetec.

But if FI isn't your thing, you've got head work, cams, TB, intake, exhaust, NO2, ECU upgrades and dyno time/tuning - like everyone else said.

The most important advice I can give you is PLAN, PLAN, PLAN. Decide what YOU want and what will give YOU the most pleasure and pride. Then detail every aspect of the upgrade plan from start to finish to show off. Then implement. You'll find that your bank account will grow a little while you do all the planning and research, too. You may end up being able to do a little more than you planned or maybe even get a head start on your next project.

·
Registered
669 Posts
i wish I had $1400 to spend on my engine :(

the truth is though, I don't see u having a turbo setup for $1400

what could u actually get for that price?

u need the turbo, intercooler, piping, bov, wastegate, exhaust manifold, bigger injectors, and a chip right to get a fully working turbo setup?

·
Registered
573 Posts
Think junkyard for the turbo, intercooler. Wastegate will probably be internal on the turbo, piping & manifold can be bought for about $400, chip for another $300, BOV is not required, and then the MAF for $200 and injectors $200 or so. Add that up and you get about $1100. You could probably walk out of the junkyard for under $300 bucks, giving you a total of $1400. It'll work, just don't expect brand new top of the line parts. But check with Seawulf - it'll work. You might end up spending a few extra dollars here and there to upgrade parts (hose connectors, clamps, oil feed/drain lines, etc).

·
Registered
832 Posts
My initial 146whp & 156wtq setup cost just over $800, using all junkyard/salvage yard parts. The turbo cost $100, intercooler cost $25, since that's where the main dollars are spent, the rest is just piping and metal. You must be a great welder or know one who will do the work for nothing or next to nothing.

A BOV isn't needed, but a bypass valve is. You can get a cheap plastic bosch bypass valve for around $35 new. Even with mild boost, at a minimum, a bypass valve is a good idea.

When it comes to fuel, here's a cheap fuel solution that I think would work for up to 150 whp. Buy a standard hobbs pressure switch, that clicks on at 4 psi. Hook the switch to a vacuum hose in the intake manifold. Hook one end to a ground, and hook the other ends to each of the grounds on the fuel injectors. That way when the intake manifold reads 4psi or greater, the switch clicks on and grounds the injectors 100%. That should give you enough fuel for at most 150whp at 4-5psi, and is basically what the Jackson Racing Supercharger black box is. That would cost you around $30. More than 150whp and 5psi is when the big bucks start rolling in, or rather out.

·
Registered
669 Posts
man, that is tempting because even with 150fwhp I'd be satisfied...temporarily anyway

but its kind of like going cheap now and then saying 'oh i'll upgrade later,' arent u really spending more money in the end by doing that?

what do u think about the DSM turbos?

All I need is knowledge, welding skills, a lower mileage block, and some money...and then I'm all set! :biggrin:

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks for the input guys:
i just talked to the shop today. dude said about $2500 installed for the turbo. not bad. i also talked to him about N/A. for $1500 he said he would take my engine out and send it somewhere. in this unknown land the head will get p/p, intake manifold same thing, optimize t/b, clean the bottom end, and new valves. im not sure if the cams will be grinded or not. he said some other stuff but i didnt write it down. i was actually there to talk to the shop about a problem my car is having right now, but ill get to that in a second.
for the turbo, he said getting a custom manifold may be as much as the turbo. liebler, you make it sound so easy about doing the turbo myself. how are you and seawulf going about doing the manifold yourself and whoever else is or has done it. that is the main obstacle keeping me from trying to do it myself.
my plan to do any of this may be prolonged because last friday morning my fuel pump went out. should be installing the new one tomorrow as long as the one from BAT will fit. i also think my water pump is going out. it sounded like the pulley but when i bought a new one there was no bearings in it so i figure it may be the water pump itself. i also am having electical problems. when i hit the brakes my dash gets real dim then brightens back up. my car is at 100,300+ miles. seems like the ford computer knows when it hits 100,000 to start messing shiot up.

·
Registered
832 Posts
You'd think you'd be satisifed with only 150whp, but trust me it feels real slow, real quick. It is night and day better than stock though. I mean, stock you practically have to pack a lunch for the wait if you floor it in 5th and want to pass someone on the highway. With 5psi and a small turbo, just give it 50% throttle and start passing instantly. The extra 50wtq is very nice, but won't give you fast times. I couldn't even break into the 15s and wheel hop was so bad I broke one of the bolt holes for the motor/trans rear mount clean off my transmission bell housing.

My turbo manifold cost around $100 for materials and another $70 to get it resurfaced cause it warped a bit during welding. The welding was done free by a student of my dad's. He's an auto shop teacher and that's also how I got it done so cheap. It's much easier if you have access to a full shop. Do a search of my past posts, I've gone into some detail on how it was done.

Here's the short link on how to make a custom manifold. Don't make it like they did, a log manifold is much easier and will do up to 400whp.http://www.sdsefi.com/techheader.htm

Edit: The dimming of the dash is pretty stock. Mine's done it since brand new. Or is your's now doing it more than it was before? As for how much money you'd wind up spending in the long run vs just buying Turbo Tom's Kit. It's true you'd probably wind up spending the same amount, but you'll do it over a period of 2-3 years vs spending it all up front. So if you don't have $5k laying around, the DIY method is basically kind of like a rolling layaway.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Afterhours and I bought pre-made log manifolds with no flanges attached and are modifying them to fit the Cougar. You can check out his here. The big stepping stone for me was the manifold as well. But it was much easier to understand and deal with once I got some good input from Afterhours, Seawulf and did some Internet research. Don't let that stop you - press forward.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Liebler and Seawulf are right.........a custom built turbo is not that difficult. What's most important is you need a plan. Set a performance goal.......then map out what you want (or need) first, then accumulate the components and parts you need to accomplish it. Then it's just a matter of downing the car and putting it all together.

For me, I started researching into a custom turbo project sometime in June 03'........once I had determined my project goals, I began acquiring the components for the set-up. Once you know what specific parts you're looking for.............take your time, you can find some really good deals. Like my by-pass valve. I decided I would go with a 1st generation Mitsubishi by-pass valve because it is a well made BOV and would work well with my performance goals. I didn't just run out and buy one.............I just kept my eye out for one, and I eventually found a brand new one on E-bay for $30.00. It even came with an extra mounting flange.

Anyway, my initial install was delayed because I ran into some turbo manifold clearance issues with the internal wastegate on my T-3 turbo. I decided to use an external wastegate instead and I needed to modify the turbo manifold. What that meant is, I put the car back together and began re-working the manifold (it's my daily driver.........so I needed it running).

I've completed the modifications to the manifold and I picked up a Tial external wastegate...........and I re-started the turbo install this afternoon. Day one went very well..................Not bad for 5 hours of work............:biggrin:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts