New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any1 know how to remove the Horn Cover for a 01 Mercury Cougar???

I look at the back of the steering wheel and there aren't any screws to take out. Does the cover just pop off after you deactivate the Airbag system ?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Horn cover or the actual steering wheel? There are a couple of little holes on the back of the steering wheel where the bolts are for removing the airbag. I don't know about just the cover though. I was extremely weary of messing with that thing. Good luck!

·
Registered
810 Posts
I would watch what you are messing with on the steering wheel don't want the air bag going off in your face. If you start messing with it make sure you disconnect your battery!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea I know thanks though. I think I'm just going to take it to the dealer to fix it. They said it will cost $178.00 and some change to fix it.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lostracer,

My horn doesn't work from inside the car. If I activate my alarm, or Disactivate, the horn will work. But If I press the horn from inside the car (horn cover on the steering wheel) it doesn't work. I want to take the cover off so I may fix what is broken. Some people say its the clockspring.

·
Premium Member
16,842 Posts
is the airbag light flashing too? Do you have cruisecontrol? Those are apparently symptoms of a bad clocksprings as well..I have to find the right size tool to take off my steering wheel to change my clockspring. The horn for your alarm is located on the passenger side of the car with in the rear panel I believe. Its not the same as your main horn, whiich is why it still functions.

I was told to use extended L-torx to get in there..I just haven't had the etime lately. But you could probably do it yourself. IMO. And save on some cash in the process.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.