New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back, the RMNECO guys pointed out something to me that I didn't notice - I purchased an '00 cougar, but the interior was the '01 style, no conversion done on my part. Anyone else have a cougar like this? If so, are these 2000.5 models different in any other way? My dealership, the idiots that they are, insists that my Cougar is an '01, even though the build date is in '00.

N

·
0 Posts
I know of one other Georgia Cougar member that has this. I saw his headlights and noticed he had an 02 interior....I was like...which conversion did you do? heh He said his car came that way new.

:shrug:

T

·
0 Posts
You know that all cars made are manufactured one year before their model year, right? For example, all 2004s are manufactured in 2003. Thats how come all the dealerships are getting 2004s right now.

On the other car, someone could have swapped the headlights because they liked the boobies better... :rolleyes:

·
Rockin' Mom-mobile
8,010 Posts
I have a late model 00 and I have the built in cup holder. They just wisened up that the flip out thing wasn't working.

What does your shield look like? Does it have smooth texture or the diamond cut pattern.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I special ordered a 2000 Cougar in late May of '00. I ended up getting dicked around by the dealership that did the ordering, so I took my busniess elsewhere to get the cougar I have now. Well, when the car I ordered FINALLY arrived on their lot in LATE SEPTEMBER, I went to take a look at it. It had the '00 style exterior, but the interior was that of a '01.

I'm guessing that while is was on the line at the factory, they switched build parts to '01. So by the time it got its interior installed, they had already started putting '01 parts in all the cars.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by: MetallicaCougs
I have a late model 00 and I have the built in cup holder. They just wisened up that the flip out thing wasn't working.

What does your shield look like? Does it have smooth texture or the diamond cut pattern.
Hmm, shield? I'm not sure what you're referring to, sorry. Having not seen a diamond cut pattern anywhere, I'd risk a guess at it and say "smooth".

The build date of my car was in August, I believe, I'll have to verify. I picked it up in September of 2k, and I didn't see a different interior in any of the cars on the lot.

·
Registered
504 Posts
you should be happy you got the better looking interior

·
El Mucho Post Whoro
12,140 Posts
2001 cars are generally built beginning halfway through the previous year. That's why you can buy a 2001 model year car in October of 2000. ;) If you have 99/00 exterior and 01-style interior (01 style seats, 01 style center console) then it could be a late build 2000. ShinyBlackCat from NorCal NECO has a car like that.. except his seats don't have the diamond pattern in the cloth that the 01/02 Cougar does; it's plain black and grey.

B

·
0 Posts
I have 2000 cougar with a build date of Aug 2000:

It has '01 center console and seats (with the square head rest)

Reason being that when the manufacturer is building a new model year and stop manufacturing parts for the old model year, they frequently run out of the older model parts and "substitute" the newer model parts. It's a money saving deal, that benefits some buyers... I got lucky like that and so did you. :beer:

Damn! Sometimes I can sound REALLY SMART!...Only happens once in a while though! :biggrin:

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the responses everyone.

MetallicaCougs - My shroud is smooth, no diamond pattern. I had thought that was what you were talking about, but I should have said that in my previous post.

NorCalCoug - I don't have the diamond pattern, just black and grey.

Mondogo - I do have boobies on my lights.

Sounds like (based on my likes/dislikes) that I just got lucky and got the best of both worlds. This sheds some light on the decisions others were making to mod the interior - I couldn't see why anyone would want to mess with it. Again, thanks to all.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts