New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking to slide out the AM/FM/cassette that my '99 Cougar V6 came with and replace it with a factory single CD or in-dash 6 CD. I've been looking on eBay, and all the Cougar (or Focus) units that come up seem to be listed as for '00-'03 vehicles. Will these units work with my '99? What's the difference between '99 and '00-'03 radiowise?

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
There are some harness differences, as well as mounting plate differences (the 99-00 have curved edges, the 01-02 are corners). There is no such thing as an '03 Cougar...

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
why not just buy a nice after market cd player and if you want a changer then get one as well...better sound and better options..and if it is a din then they will all fit..with a kit..or custom console thingy..

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm well aware that there isn't an '03 Cougar, as sad as that is. :cry:

I know this is a stupid and very generic question, but how difficult is it to put in an aftermarket stereo? I don't want to swap out my speakers or anything, just replace the head unit with another.

And one more related question while I'm at it. :cover: Are there any other Ford factory head units that would directly connect to my '99 Cougar without splicing, other harnesses, etc.? Some of the CD/cassette units from the Ford trucks and minivans look mighty nice ... :)

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
its really easy to replace your factory headunit with an after market one. but just so you know, the antennae converter is not a ford one, IIRC, its actually for the a VW. and you will need a wiring harness and the install kit so the headunit fits in the factory location. its really easy to do though.

not sure about your other question about other ford stereos fitting in the cougar....

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I went on Crutchfield's website last night, where they have an online chat feature where you can talk to someone there and ask them any questions you might have. I pointed out a couple of the head units I liked, told him what kind of car I have, and asked honestly how difficult of a do-it-yourself operation such an installation is for the novice. He said everything you need comes with it at no additional charge -- harness, kit, detailed instructions specific to my '99 Cougar, 800# support -- and it doesn't involve cutting anything in the car, and it's very easy to do. I might just get gutsy and try it.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
All you need are the DIN removal tools to get the stock radio out, and about five minutes to install the new radio - this is about as easy as a mod can get....

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by: Cougaritus
DIN removal tool??? You mean 4 nails :)??
Hahaha, I already ordered the $4 DIN removal tool because I had trouble finding it locally. I'll just wait until that comes instead of Mickey-Mousing around with my new baby ... :tongue:

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
hehe you can also you 2 pieces of bent coat hanger...i guess some small nails would work too probably easieras well..damn trusty hanger..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts