New Cougar Forum banner

Best way to install front wheel bearing ? (update: wrong side haha)

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  99CouGSweetRide 
#1 ·
Best way to install front wheel bearing ?

I need to replace my driver side front wheel bearing, question is, what's the easiest way to do it? Should I just take everything apart, including the control arm, or just leave the control arm and pound the hub off the strut like my mechanic did when he changed the halfshaft?

Mike

#2 ·
RE:Best way to install front wheel bearing ?

Disconnect your tie rod, loosed the pinch bolt holding the hub assembly to both the strut and the ball joint. Take it to a shop to have pressed. I took mine to the dealer to be pressed and the mechanic only asked for a pack of pall malls.

#4 ·

Originally posted by: ToddTCE
This is a press job dude, not a hammer job. At that some of the people working a press still can't figure out what to support and where. Quick and easy if they have the proper tools to suport and press it.
no dude I was talking about getting the whole assembly off. It's a pain to to try to get it off with the control arm there, you need a nice 4 foot pipe to bend the control arm down enough to slide the hub assembly off the strut, then you have to stand on this pipe to try to fit the strut back into the assembly.

Mike

#6 ·

well this sucks, changed out the bearing, and it turns out to be the other side. The noise is still there, so as of right now the passenger side is apart, and I have to get the bearing pressed in tomorrow. Pretty funny because while the car was jacked in the air, there was a lot of play with the driver side wheel, you could rock it and it would move back and forth...the passenger side wheel wouldn't budge. Guess with these cars the only way to tell which bearing is to take one side apart and hope for a slight grinding noise when you turn the hub on the wheel knuckle...

Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.