What will fit?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: What will fit?

NECO Member

What will fit?

Will 225-50-R16" fit without rubbing? On stock six spoke rims. Thanks for any help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    NewCougar.org
    Advertisements

Administrator Lifetime Platinum MemberAdministrator wadespencer99's Avatar

Re: What will fit?

Yes.
    1999 Cougar (crushed)
    2000 SVT Contour
    2000 Jeep Wrangler Sport
    2004 F150 FX4 Supercab
    2013 Fiesta Titanium

------------------------------------------------------------

NECO Member

That's what I run. Speedometer is dead on.
    Black 1999 Cougar 2.5V6 5spd. Build Date 7/23/98

5. Remove Advertisements
    NewCougar.org
    Advertisements

NECO Member

How about 225-60-R16?

I'm running 225/50/16s in the summer and 205/60/15s here in the winter. a 225-60-16 is going to throw your speedometer off pretty good, though. it's calibrated for 215/50/16s.
    check out the difference... that's 65MPH at an indicated 60, 76 at 70. liveable, but way off.

From the FAQ :

''Will 225/50/16 tires fit my stock 16" wheels? - Yes they will. This has been commonly done as it seems the 225/50/16 series tires are slightly cheaper and easier to find than the 215/50 series.

I'm looking to get larger rims, What size tires will I need to buy?
    - This is known as plus sizing.
    For 17 inch wheels 225/45 17 inch tires, 215/45/17 inch tires or the factory 215/50 17 inch (based off of tirerack.com) tires are normally recommended.
    For 18 inch wheels 225/40 18 inch tires or 215/40 18 inch tires are normally recommended.
    For 19 inch wheels 225/35 19 inch tires is normally recommended.

Please note that these tire sizes are recommended for closest factory ratio, comfort and appearance. Going with a smaller sidewall ratio (the second series of numbers on the tire size) will greatly affect comfort.''
    Last edited by Joeyisamadman; 2016-12-19 at 07:00 PM.
    NECO's Leading Québécois or your money back.
    '00 2.5 ATX: ''Ella'' http://bit.ly/1VfpWlX
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeyisamadman View Post
    this rivalry is getting to the point where one day, to end it, my hooptie's going to get walked by a 3L Cougar with carbon fiber add-ons.

NECO Member

Now you have me curious...why the two different sizes for summer/winter?

two sets of tires. they came with the car when I bought it used. ...I'm not entirely sure about this, but thinner tires = better for snow grip, apparently. it's all very confusing so don't quote me on that!
    this rivalry is getting to the point where one day, to end it, my hooptie's going to get walked by a 3L Cougar with carbon fiber add-ons.

NECO Member Gold Member nadthomas's Avatar

two sets of tires. they came with the car when I bought it used. ...I'm not entirely sure about this, but thinner tires = better for snow grip, apparently. it's all very confusing so don't quote me on that!
    Thinner tires equals a smaller contact patch with the road, and therefore more pressure per inch on the tire to road contact area. This will allow the tire to push and cut through snow and slush a little more, and/or gives your tires a little more bite in "deeper" snow. A wider tire will float more and in slushy situations hydroplane easier, which is really what most us are dealing with on the roads in the winter. This logic applies to typical on road situations, for offroad situations like driving a truck in the woods, an extra wide tire is preferred so you can actually try to float over the deep snow and not bury you truck in 2 feet of snow as are packing down the fresh powder. Although obviously you would never attempt something like that in a cougar.
    Joeyisamadman and StuartGrant like this.

In the Garage
    2013 BMW 328i 2.0T 6 Speed
    2007 Ford Fusion V6 SE
    2002 Ford Explorer Sport 4x4
    SOLD: 2001 Mercury Cougar C2 3L ATX

Quote Originally Posted by nadthomas View Post
    Thinner tires equals a smaller contact patch with the road, and therefore more pressure per inch on the tire to road contact area. This will allow the tire to push and cut through snow and slush a little more, and/or gives your tires a little more bite in "deeper" snow. A wider tire will float more and in slushy situations hydroplane easier, which is really what most us are dealing with on the roads in the winter. This logic applies to typical on road situations, for offroad situations like driving a truck in the woods, an extra wide tire is preferred so you can actually try to float over the deep snow and not bury you truck in 2 feet of snow as are packing down the fresh powder. Although obviously you would never attempt something like that in a cougar.
    Wow, sweet breakdown. thanks!

...what about ice?

NECO Member

You can't push through ice to the road surface, so that's mostly about rubber compound. Or studs.
    Joeyisamadman likes this.
    Black 1999 Cougar 2.5V6 5spd. Build Date 7/23/98

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast