New Cougar Forum banner

How hard to install wheel bearing?

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Edison 
#1 ·
And what is the part number? I feel like i been raped cause i was just charged 650$ including labor to replace 4 o2 sensors and they said the passenger wheel bearing was shot.. I know that noise and i know they wernt screwing me over on that. but hopefully i could fix it instead of paying them 300 dollars

#2 ·
The bearing itself is about $35. The labor to press it into the hub is astronomical.

You can however buy an entire new hub assembly with bearing already pressed in for around $200. Labor still isn't a picnic, especially since the bolts are almost always frozen, unless you really know what you're doing.

That's probably about the right price to have it done by a "professional"...

#4 ·
its not hard to get the hub out but if the bearing isn't carefully installed it will fail very quickly. You need to use a press and again if the bearing isn't pressed in straight or properly its going to fail.

you could try a local machine shop to have it pressed in, shouldn't cost to much ...

#6 ·
The same thing happened to me...an auto shop wanted $700 for parts and labor. I went to a local Ford dealership, and bought the whole Hub assembly for $160. After that, went to Autozone, bought the bearing, and since I'm in the military, went to the auto hobby shop on base, rented a stall, and did the work with a buddy of mine. They had all the tools, and even pressed the bearing into the hub at no extra cost. It cost me a little more for parts because I changed my brakes and calibers.

#9 ·
It should be the steering knuckle, and hub as they are all pressed together.

It all depends on how mechanically inclined you are. I've changed a few and it's pretty easy.

PS: If you know what you are doing you don't need a "BIG ASS" crow bar. ;)

#10 ·
That's actually what I was hoping to hear. When I replaced the bearing originally, I used a junkyard knuckle, but I think it may have been damaged so I'm looking to replace the knuckle, bearing and hub. If I can get it all preassembled it makes life easier on me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.