SVT Contour's quest for 12's!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: SVT Contour's quest for 12's!

NECO Member

SVT Contour's quest for 12's!

Ok, so finally, after 3 years of waiting, planning, saving, and having things fall into my lap, i'll finally have another 3L in my car after running with a 2.5 since late 2012. I purchased a parts car that came with a 3L Hybrid with 3L valves and a rod shift trans with a Quaife. The parts car goes in for disassembly this coming weekend to evaluate what all i can use from the car (runs and drives.)

Anyone who knows the car knows i have it set up for autocross, and that will be the primary use for the car, but if feel like no one has been trying for this goal after it has been deemed "Impossible" so here i am trying to do it, and do it on an all motor setup.

Plans for the motor/motor mods:
    3L valves
    Port heads
    New rod bearings
    MSDS headers and y pipe
    cam regrinds (already sent out)
    Gutted LIM
    Bigger throttle body
    UIM ported to match TB
    9lb Fidanza flywheel
    21lb-36lb injectors
    255lph SVT Focus fuel pump
    No cats, Magnaflow resonator, side pipe single exit

Trans mods:
    Quaife differential
    DSS Axles
    Stock 4.06 FD

Suspension mods:
    D2 coil overs
    2 bolt tubular LCAs
    Tubular rear toe arms
    Boxed rear control arms
    All poly bushings in the rear suspension
    21mm Bat rear sway bar

Brake Mods:
    13" Cobra front brakes
    300mm rear FSVT brakes

Weight saving mods:
    Power steering delete (build my own manual rack with stock steering ratio)
    A/C delete
    Gutted trunk (Spare, carpets, jack, etc)
    Cruise control delete
    Power antenna delete
    CF/FG Evo hood

Right now, the car weighs right around 2950lbs w/o driver. I'm shooting for closer to 2900lbs or less. Eventually i'll be getting Corbeau seats to shave more weight. Car is still running a full interior with power seat, windows, door locks, and sunroof.

Goals for HP and torque are right around 250whp and 220wtq.

Car as she sits right now.

IMG_7086-1 by Mark Hetrick, on Flickr

IMG_7091-1 by Mark Hetrick, on Flickr

IMG_7095-1 by Mark Hetrick, on Flickr

_MG_7003-1 by Mark Hetrick, on Flickr
    Last edited by 95_Mystique; 2016-02-25 at 10:01 PM.
    LostRacer likes this.
    2000 CSVT #1914. BLK/PT 213whp/179wtq, 3L hybrid, cam regrinds, MSDS headers & y pipe, NPG CAI, PS & A/C delete, Quaife, Mustang TB, D2's, all poly bushings, tubular toe arms, reinforced rear subframe, boxed rear lower control arms, CF Evo hood.

2. Remove Advertisements
    NewCougar.org
    Advertisements

Re: SVT Contour's quest for 12's!

i would love to see this. heres my 2 cents from personal experience.
    definitely good choice to stay with 4.08 fd
    also i would get the lightest wheels you can. i went from my fanblades to 18's, and i can feel it. tires obviously going to do alot
    i also had 2 step setup which really helped my launches.

but thats me, cant wait to see some progress!
    1999 Mercury Cougar MTX. Full 3.0L. 232whp. 241tq
    1990 S13 Hatch. 2JZ 3.0L drift project
    2004 A4 Quattro 3.0L. New Daily
    2006 GSX600R. white and blue pearl sold

TZT Performance Moderator Turbo Zetec Tour's Avatar

just an FYI the SVT Focus fuel pump is not a 255lph pump. if you need a bigger pump for a returnless you want the ford GT pump.

getting those stock seats out will help quite a bit in the weight department, power seats are heavy.

I would love to see you hit 12.999 but im not sure if it what you have will be enough. You will have to drive the piss out of it and get a good launch, which the Quaife will help with, and then hammer the gears. Any way you could set up a no lift to shift? You can shave a few tenths off by not lifting the throttle and just hammering the clutch/gears. and rev the piss out of it with the upgraded cams if everything else can keep up.
    Daniel - TZT Performance
    '93 Mitsu 3000GT VR4 - 230K miles and counting
    2000 Black SVTC #391 - sold
    '97 Contour GL Tutrbo - sent to the crusher Jan 09

NECO Member

I plan to run my Hoosier wets this year. Next year, i want to run a smaller front rotor and 16" wheel and run a Hoosier drag slick (not radial). As for the 2 step, that may be a good idea, but i got pretty good at launching a different 3L car last summer that i was parting out. Got my 60' down to a 2.1 on a street tire, and ran a 14.6. That engine was tired too.

TZT, good to know on the SVT pump. I always thought it was a true 255lph pump. Even so, i dont really need to go with a bigger pump yet, i dont believe. The seats are a huge must for me in the very near future too. As for the no lift, i've done it in my 2L Mystique when i used to race it and it worked great. Actually dropped from a consistant 17.5 to a consistant 17.3, then after some work to a 16.9 lol. Slow i know, but it really taught me how to shift like that. Also, i'll be revving to 7500 or 8K depending on where and how the car makes power with these cams. I know i'll be close to seeing 12s, but the reality is that with this setup, i'll see low 13's.

If this doesnt work this year, the motor will come back out and get forged rods and pistons, fully balanced bottom end and 13:1 compression and i'll be running it on E85. For now, i want to try to do it on pump gas.
    2000 CSVT #1914. BLK/PT 213whp/179wtq, 3L hybrid, cam regrinds, MSDS headers & y pipe, NPG CAI, PS & A/C delete, Quaife, Mustang TB, D2's, all poly bushings, tubular toe arms, reinforced rear subframe, boxed rear lower control arms, CF Evo hood.

maybe get a smaller wheel/tire combo for more umph.

my stock pump is supporting 240ish whp so hopefully youll be good
    1999 Mercury Cougar MTX. Full 3.0L. 232whp. 241tq
    1990 S13 Hatch. 2JZ 3.0L drift project
    2004 A4 Quattro 3.0L. New Daily
    2006 GSX600R. white and blue pearl sold

Whats wheels are those? Very interested.
    /oO___--___Oo\
    |=_/o____o\_=|

theoretically with that power to weight ratio it could be done I have seen a stock 99 VR4 rip off a 12.5 with nothing but a flash tune for like 2 extra psi of boost and a few degrees of timing. couldnt have been making but maybe 300AWHP and they weigh an extra almost 1000 lbs over your SVT. The big difference though is that even a stock VR4 on street tires can rip off a 1.7/1.8 60' time with the basic launch control we get with a flash. I think if you could figure out how to rip off a sub 1.9 second 60' you might have a chance, but I dont think anybody ever has in a Contour/Cougar.
    95_Mystique likes this.
    Daniel - TZT Performance

3L Install Maestro Moderator Blackcoog's Avatar

I think low 2 sec 60' is what I was pulling when I ran the 1/4 mile in 14.3 sec. That was back when it had a hybrid 3L. I didn't have anything special for tires so if he gets some good tires and the track is prepped nicely he might be able to get below 2 sec for a 60'. Either that or he will snap an axle.
    Visit: 3LDuratec.com for a prepped 3L ready to drop in!

Click here to see my Cougar.

NECO Member

Well, the last time at the strip over the winter, I took a car that I was parting out, and cut a 2.1 60' with street tires dropped down to about 13-15psi, and launching at 4500rpm. I made 47 passes and didn't break a thing. So I'm thinking that with a stickier tire and more than 50whp more, I should be able to get the car to grab and go. I'll be running DSS axles as well, which should help a lot!

If you can cut a 1.8 60', rev it high, and shift it fast, all without breaking anything, I think you will be close.
    Daniel - TZT Performance

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast