New Cougar Forum banner

Rear wheel drive kit

2K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  Clutch 
G
#1 ·
Who makes the kit for the focus? Any ideas how hard it is to mod to a cougar? Websites please? I dont want any suggestions or smart ass coments i never post here because thats all that happens.So if you know any thing that could help let me know please.

#2 ·
First off...give the members here some respect if you even expect a response...

The answer is yes it can be done. Even an AWD option is available, however the costs of fabricating the parts would far exceed the value of the conversion.

If you are building a real race car you could speak with the companies who built the cougar into a drag car, but either way, that's 100K worth of race car.

Basically if you are looing for an easy method, or even a highly plausible one...you better be a great jack-of-all-trades fabricator and mechanic.

Hopefully this is to your liking... (Yes this is a mildly smart a$$ remark all for sh!ts and giggles).

#7 ·
Originally posted by: Drivin4fun
I'm no mechanic but what about going to a junk yard and getting the parts from a early 90's ford areostar mini van? Would seem to be much cheeper.
Is that like a "bird" cheep, cheep? ;)

About the obscure AWD Aerostar...
...sure if you wanted to fabricate all the mounts, subframe, et cetera and make the changes to fit our completely different car unibody and under carriage.

If you were really looking AWD then look Escape/Tribute or the rare AWD Mondeo estate. A donor X-type would be the next place to look.

To make it worth your effort an intercooled turbo is definitely a MUST!

#8 ·
I've thought really hard about an AWD conversion recently. I've got plenty of time to do the stereo, interior and exterior when I get back to the US. But over here in Europe, I've got access to plenty of Mondeos... I've even seen a few AWD Mondeos here and there.

It's just a matter of finding a wrecked AWD Mondeo at the right price.

G
#9 ·
Found a type x drive train and mtx for 3gs and i just bought a 2000 4.6l svt cobra engine the only challenge is all the custom work to make 3 cars into one.Any one know of a place that makes custom ecus?

#10 ·
The cougar's engine bay is not really a good one for trying to fit a 4.6L V8 in.

The Focus in the other hand has the room for it...

Either way...how much do you plan on spending to do all of this...I'd have to estimate $50K in fabrication...

The entire car will need to be tore down...

G
#11 ·
Actually in planning on 25k,With the engine and mtx awd out of the way,I plan on extending the front end of the engine bay 2.5 inches the only prob i will run into that i know of is electrical wiring and ecu.Why do you ask because im planning on 13sec coug itsa easy goal with this set up.And if i cant do it i will sell it and drop a skyline into my 240sx.Its a win win knda deal.

#12 ·
WTF!?!

Man, I've got to tell ya - I LOVE my Cougar. Very much.

But if I had that kind of money, it'd be no contest. Grab the damn RB26DETT and drop that sucker in your 240. The aftermarket for the Nissan is SO much more rich, plus you've got more manufacturers making more parts for more applications. Less custom work = more money to spend on parts. Easier to get sponsors, too.

Just my 2 cents...

#13 ·
I have seen totalled Xtypes for 4k.

So that would take car of the parts.

However i would note that doing a 4.6v8 would not work with the jag awd driveline.

I say do a 3.0 turbo...AWD. Now that would be sweet!

13second eh? Seems kinda a weak goal for an awd coug. Traction is our limitation. Solve the traction issue with AWD and you'll have a monster on your hands.

#15 ·
I have dreamed of buying a coug again and just working on it....it being a second car i wouldn't have to worry about driving it to and from work/school. That being said. I don't believe you, I don't believe you have the parts. Maybe you do, and i would like to believe you. In the end i don't think you will get done with the project even if you have some parts. It is just hard to see a relative Noob come in and throw his weight around like this, without pics or anything. Sorry i had to be an A$$, call me on it if you want. I would love to see it work though

G
#16 ·
I may be a noob here but i'm not new to the mod seen.I dont have digi camera i really dont make much i jost got a reenlistment bonus of 8gs along with a 1st mortgage on my house.So if dont smoke the $hit out of all of you at 2005 cougar fest then you can take your best shot.Until then you can wait to see the venom cat.

#18 ·
ahh, nice. Hey, I have thought about dropping a V8 into a cougar on many occasions, and have saved up alot of money deciding what to do buy another cougar and work on it or sell my car and buy a fast factory car, however i would use an awd with a 3.0 if i used awd. But then again i have done some research. I just have reservations on whether to believe you or not. You just came in throwing alot of weight around, raises a few flags.
Eric

G
#19 ·
wait is this because of the jag has a duretech also yeah it would probably be a lot easier and cheaper.But the svt mods should have me running with corvettes.Basically its coming down to just attaching the driveline the the engine.Really i didn't want to molest the jag or the cobra but i don't want to be just another punk with a mustang.HEy if you can drop some dynos or proven hp for 3.o hybrid it would help prove your piont.

#21 ·
its not saying that a 4.6 awd wouldn't work, oh, yes it is. Well unless you decide to devote months and countless dollars to the project. The stresses on an AWD are different than FWD or RWD. Much easier and cheaper to make a rwd or fwd, and much less prone to breakage. AWD axles seem to snap alot easier under hight hp,at least from what i have seen. The custom work to mate a cobra motor to some random awd system and fit it in the cougar is out of 98.9999679% of peoples ability. A duratec motor with a Jag/ mondeo awd will work, again with some custom work, but much less than what you are proposing. I doubt the jag/cobra combo will ever come to be, unless it is a purpose built drag car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.