New Cougar Forum banner

1,2, bang shift??

4K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Ksadowy 
#1 ·
My trans is auto, what is the 1,2,bang, shift that i read about at the how to link section? does this apply to the auto?

#3 ·
dont waste the 35 bucks for the sensor. i did and it was fine for about a 2 hours and it started doing the shift bang again.

#4 ·
when you gun it in 1st, then slam on your brakes if a car pulls out in front of you, your transmission just slam's into second. thats 1-2 bang. it fixed mine for about 2 hours. then i guess the computer went back to what it was always doing. so i feel that i wasted 35 bucks.

#5 ·
You don't have to hit the brakes to experience the 1-2 bang shift. If the listed fix doesn't fix it, it's not bang shift. It's when the 1-2 shift is hard, bang, when you're just accelerating.

#6 ·
i know you dont need to hit the brakes, i just didnt think to list about accelerating. if i just gun it and let off at redline it bangs into second. everything i read described it like i just did and said buy this 35 dollar sensor, it'll fix it. it did, but for only a couple hours, then went back to bangin so i try not do do that anymore. lol. once i get situated at my new place and get money saved up ill be looking for a mtx parts car. im ready to get out of the automatic world.

#7 ·
No, you miss my point, which I failed to communicate well - you don't need to hit the brakes, nor suddenly let off the gas, that's not bang shift. There's not much the ECU or the ATX can do to NOT bang shift when you go from 6K RPM to nothing in that short of a time, they're not prescient. Bang shift is when you're just accelerating normally, and the 1-2 shift hangs for longer than it should, and then bang, it shifts into 2. It is a symptom of that sensor failing, since the ECU doesn't get correct speed measurements, and bangs the 1-2 shift since it's not at the speed it thinks it's at.

The proper fix for the 6K to nothing shift, is to not do that. :)

#8 ·
oh ok. i guess i didnt read the how too's right. i thought thats what it was supposed to fix. well.....s***.... i just wasted 35 bucks:banghead:

#10 ·
I would think that if your cars is doing the 1-2 bang, then you wouldn't need a code to know this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.