rear subframe restoration process
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: rear subframe restoration process

NECO Member Gold Member StuartGrant's Avatar

Re: rear subframe restoration process

Quote Originally Posted by mmc757 View Post
    If your intent on using that one, just get it sandblasted. Time is money too, and for that project sandblasting will more than pay for itself.
    You wont find part numbers for bushings, the factory ones apparently werent meant to be replaced. A few people have flirted with building custom arms with off-the-shelf bushings but I think stuartgrant is the only one who actually got further than talking about it.
    Yeah, I explored using off the shelf bushings, but ultimately went with bearings. Long and short of it is that there is no true, exact fit bearing, the very design of the arms preclude that in fact. Closest I found was a bushing set from a Subaru that used a 55mm long M12 spacer, but the bushing itself was a lot larger than the stock RCA.

For fasteners, just measure. If you use SAE than use grade 8, if you use metric than use grade 12.9. Do not skimp on strength under there. You may have better luck ordering them online than finding them in stores because most stores dont seem to carry a lot of selection for the high strength stuff.
    Only use the exact same spec bolt you took off, regardless of 8.8, 10.9, or 12.9. If you use a 12.9 in place of a 10.9 or worse an 8.8 it won't have the ductility that might be required for the application, meaning it can shatter under the right conditions.

That said, fastenall is a good source for metric fasteners in various spec's, a bit expensive, but I was able to find replacements for the subframe there.
    EPA Clean Air Act Section 609 Certified

00' MTX 2.5L, spruce green: Died 9/13/11 - Revived 6/1/12
    '06 VW Jetta TDI, that fuel economy yo!
    '01 MTX C2, black, Murdocks old car, needs an engine or something.

2. Remove Advertisements
    NewCougar.org
    Advertisements

rear subframe restoration process

Quote Originally Posted by B3NN3TT View Post
    17mm, with 1mm of powdercoat maybe.

The SVT rear sway bar is 19mm.

I believe that Ford went with the smaller SVT front sway bar on all 01+ Cougars, and I suspect they switched over to the quicker SVT steering rack as well.
    I stand corrected. 19 mm is the size that came on my 01 sport from the factory.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rear subframe restoration process-imageuploadedbyag-free1479251543.002263.jpg rear subframe restoration process-imageuploadedbyag-free1479251558.124317.jpg
    Last edited by mmc757; 2016-11-15 at 06:25 PM.
    Joeyisamadman likes this.
    Klaatu barada nikto

NECO Member

My rear sway bar bushings have gotten sloppy and worn out, causing a bit of a thunk. I bought new ones this summer but have not put them on yet - I measured the bar with a caliper on the worn part inside the bushings and swore they were 18mm. I'm gonna have to go out in the barn and see if the box is marked.

LOL - before I reassembled it this summer I wrapped the bar with a piece of 0.010" thick nomex paper (we use it at work), and it worked perfectly for a few months. Naturally since it didn't make any more noise I didn't put the new bushings in, and now that it has started rattling again it has also gotten colder and I don't feel like it.
    Last edited by PAcat; 2016-11-15 at 08:18 PM.
    Black 1999 Cougar 2.5V6 5spd. Build Date 7/23/98

5. Remove Advertisements
    NewCougar.org
    Advertisements

NECO Member

Well, I did get bushings for an 18mm bar - ACDELCO 45G0824 from Rockauto. I'm thinking I should get some 17mm bushings before I do the job just in case. It's amazing how little play is needed to make quite a racket.

NECO Member

I put the 18mm bushings in today. With the bushing pushed closed the ID measured 17.5mm. The bar measure 18mm as best I could see under the car. The bushings fit on with a small gap at the split, and the thunk is now gone when driving. It's possible that they will crush down in time, but for now it would seem my early production '99 has an 18mm rear bar.

NECO Member

As an update, after a few days the rear end began making more noise again. It's not awful, but it happens in large differential suspension movements only, not when both wheels move, so it's definitely sway bar related. Most likely it's just that the bushings compressed and really are too big.

i was looking at the old bushings and the number is visible: 93BB-4A037. From what I can find on a Google search this shows up as a 16mm bushing! I'm gonna just forget about whatever I measured and try to get a pair of those. They worked for 17 years so I suppose they're correct!
    Joeyisamadman likes this.

Are you sure its not your end links?
    PAcat likes this.
    Klaatu barada nikto

NECO Member

Are you sure its not your end links?
    Winner! I crawled under it tonight to look around and, yes, it's one of the damn bushings where the links go through the lateral arm. AGAIN!

I've replaced those things several times now, and the bushings I get with the links are completely variable. Some are near impossible to put in, some easy. One of the ones I put on is fine, and the other is shrunk, cracked and cutting through. I ordered some AC Delco bushings from RockAuto, along with the parking brake cables, and I'm not looking forward to putting either on.

Should look into getting poly urethane endlinks. They get the job done.
    /oO___--___Oo\
    |=_/o____o\_=|

NECO Member

After doing all the work to rebuild the front end after the deer hit, I couldn't stand to drive it thunking away on Monday. My urethane bushings are not due for few more days, so I picked up another sway bar link at AZ just for the cheap bushing. It's nice and quiet now, so I guess the bar was 18mm after all.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast