Bad sway bar links can be damn noisy!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bad sway bar links can be damn noisy!

Bad sway bar links can be damn noisy!

There's been a god-awful "clunk" coming from underneath my Coug for quite quite a while now. I had gotten new struts, but it didn't solve the problem (not a waste of money, as two of the struts were leaking anyway).

I was convinced that the strut mounts were bad. Took the car to the local Ford dealership last week. I wanted the noise to be diagnosed by people who've actually worked on these cars. They told me the front sway bar links were loose. They showed me, and the links didn't seem loose to me. The mechanic said he'd replace them for $150. Could have done it myself, but it's a little cold to be laying under the car in my unheated garage this time of year.

So, they swapped 'em. MAN, what a difference! Dead-silent up front now. Prior to that, the suspension sounded like it was made out of lawn furniture. The back's got the same noise, though not as bad; gonna replace the rear links (and the valve cover gasket) next weekend in a heated shop. I've hated driving that car for the last 6 months; "clunk, clunk, clunk". My stereo just wasn't loud enough to cover up the noise anymore. It was that obnoxious!

I am happily in love with my car again

2. Remove Advertisements
    NewCougar.org
    Advertisements

Re: Bad sway bar links can be damn noisy!

your rear end could be the sway bar bushings connecting it to the subframe. You can order a poly version from batinc

Capital Curmudgeon Lifetime Platinum MemberModerator skater's Avatar

Yeah, I went through the same thing with mine. They do make quite a racket on any bump.
    1999 Cougar, Laser Red, 3.0L V6, MTX (a lot more fun)
    2014 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.7L Diesel (Towzilla)
    2012 Honda Accord V6, ATX (daily)

Sometimes Faster than Dan Lifetime Platinum MemberSuper Moderator B3NN3TT's Avatar

Each front link has a ball joint on each end that can get really noisy when they go.

The rear links do not, so normally noise from the rear comes from the bushings where the bar is strapped to the subframe.

also depending on car or condition, sway bar bushings will contribute to the noise as well.
    MANY ITEMS FOR SALE: ADC turbo kit intercooler with exchanger and pump, stock cooling fans, 2000 mtx rolling shell, stock 2.5l engine, RAZZI hi rise wing, etc

Yep, replaced the rear ones yesterday. The passenger-side bushing was essentially mutilated, driver's side was getting there. Sure was a pain to get the new bushings in. Well worth it though; no more offending "clunk".

The Real RockNRolla... Moderator aircougar1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by B3NN3TT View Post
    Each front link has a ball joint on each end that can get really noisy when they go.

The rear links do not, so normally noise from the rear comes from the bushings where the bar is strapped to the subframe.
    Actually, almost every cougar or contour that I have worked on in the last 2 years that had stock rear sway bar endlinks had shot or completely destroyed endlink bushings! The links were rubbing and bumping against the front-most control arms in the rear, and made a hell of a noise when hitting corners... My SVT did the same thing until I swapped those bushings out...

So, the sway bar bushings aren't always the culprit...
    "YAHTZEE!!!!"

1998.5 SF 3L CSVT #6291 Soon to be SC'd!

NECO Member

I was recently doing a front pad and rotors job when I noticed that a bar that I think is a sway bar was disconnected, and only hanging on by one end (the top end), while the bottom was completely disconnected. Is the sway bar the piece of metal with an attachment at each end that hooks onto the shock near where the bracket for the brake fluid hose attaches to and the other near the caliper?

Nick

Sometimes Faster than Dan Lifetime Platinum MemberSuper Moderator B3NN3TT's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nwcross View Post
    I was recently doing a front pad and rotors job when I noticed that a bar that I think is a sway bar was disconnected, and only hanging on by one end (the top end), while the bottom was completely disconnected. Is the sway bar the piece of metal with an attachment at each end that hooks onto the shock near where the bracket for the brake fluid hose attaches to and the other near the caliper?

Nick
    The small foot-long piece that's bolted to the strut is the SWAY BAR LINK. The top end bolts to the fin on the side of the strut, the bottom end of it bolts into the sway bar itself.

NECO Member

Does anyone know what these (lock) nuts are suppose to be torqued to?

+ Reply to Thread