Alignment before or after new wheels/tires?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Alignment before or after new wheels/tires?

Alignment before or after new wheels/tires?

I should finally be upgrading from the 15" stockers pretty soon, and I still haven't had the car re-aligned since I installed the B&G/ST200 suspension. Should I go ahead and get it aligned before I get the new wheels/tires, or wait until after I have the new wheels/tires on? I would probably do the alignment the same day I had the wheels/tires put on so its not like I'd drive for a couple months without the alignment being fixed. Basically I just want the steering wheel straight again...

If it matters, I'm going to go from a 205/60R15 to a 225/45R17.
    1999 Black Mercury Cougar V6 MTX - "Sonic" - ZingFest '13 Pyro81 Memorial Award for Excellence in Interior Design
    SVT UIM/LIM/TB/19#/ECU | Fidanza/SVT | Amsoil | Flowmaster 40 2.5" | SRI | B&G/ST200 | Jaged RSTB | Relocated battery | Gutted interior

2. Remove Advertisements
    NewCougar.org
    Advertisements

Re: Alignment before or after new wheels/tires?

don't most places complete a 4 wheel alignment when you get new tires anyway? I wouldn't worry if you are going to get it done at the same time.
    - 12 Focus Se Sport 5-spd
    - 99 Contour SE Sport Duratec 5-spd <- traded in
    - 99 Contour SeVT Duratec 5-spd (3L and NPG Turbo Kit)
    - 2k Contour SVT - #2137

Sometimes Faster than Dan Lifetime Platinum MemberSuper Moderator B3NN3TT's Avatar

If all you installed were struts and springs, your alignment will not be affected.

Alignment is changed in the front via the tie rod ends. It is changed in the rear with bolts holding the control arms to the subframe.

You didn't alter either of those.

If the car is out of alignment, it is just from being generally beaten upon for many thousands of miles.

BrApple - no business I know of just automatically "throws in" an alignment when they install new tires. 4-wheel alignments cost anywhere from $80 and up where I come from, and most places only have one guy that knows how to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by B3NN3TT View Post
    If all you installed were struts and springs, your alignment will not be affected.

Alignment is changed in the front via the tie rod ends. It is changed in the rear with bolts holding the control arms to the subframe.

You didn't alter either of those.

If the car is out of alignment, it is just from being generally beaten upon for many thousands of miles.

BrApple - no business I know of just automatically "throws in" an alignment when they install new tires. 4-wheel alignments cost anywhere from $80 and up where I come from, and most places only have one guy that knows how to do it.

oh I agree, I don't think its included either but what I was trying to say is most places say you should/ or get you to have it done at the same time.

also I want to disagree about the alignment not changing with the install of struts and springs. However I know my car did fall into spec afterwards.

Here is my thinking, when the car is dropped the toe at least will change. The tie rod ends and rear control arms are a fixed length. when you lower the body its going to cause the tie rods and rear control arms to seem long, therefore adding toe in to the front and back wheels. I am pretty sure this is correct for the front because the rack will now be lower in relation to the wheels, causing the arms to be at a lesser downwards angle and would make them techinically longer.

thoughts?
    - 12 Focus Se Sport 5-spd
    - 99 Contour SE Sport Duratec 5-spd <- traded in
    - 99 Contour SeVT Duratec 5-spd (3L and NPG Turbo Kit)
    - 2k Contour SVT - #2137

If you're gonna get the alignment done, do it with the stockers. A lot of shops can's do it with the typical tuner 17's. Not sure why, but where the machine or whatever goes onto the wheels it just doesnt work. So unless you're going to a performance shop to have it done, do it before the new wheels. The change wont affect the alignment anyway since the overall size will be about the same.
    ~2001 Cougar 2.0 MTX~
    ~Aussie Headlights
    ~WeaponR Intake, TruBendz 2.5" Catback
    ~17" Kobe Kam 5 Wheels, Kumho Tires

SENIOR moderator, sonny! Lifetime Platinum MemberModerator LinkMan's Avatar

Yeah, replacing wheels and tires won't affect alignment, so get the alignment done first so they're not messing with the new wheels at the alignment shop.
    Mark
    2001 Laser Red Cougar V6 ATX - "Fun!"
    | CF 2005 Best Stock | CF 2006 Best Paint (tie) / 2nd Cleanest | CF 2007 Cleanest |
    | CF X 2nd Cleanest | CF 2009 Cleanest | CF 2010 Cleanest / 2nd Best Paint / 2nd Interior |
    | CF 2011 Cleanest / 2nd Best Paint | CF 2012 2nd Interior / 2nd Engine Bay |
    1997 Medium Willow Taurus GL V6 ATX - "Daily" | 2008 Dark Ink Blue Fusion SEL V6 ATX - "The Good Car"
    (99 Rio Red Cougar V6 ATX - RIP 28 Jan 2001)

NECO Member

An "alignment" for a Cougar is, unfortunately, limited to setting the front and/or rear toe (the inward/outward tilt of the front of the tire when looking at it from the front). Toe in, front of tires point inward to the vehicle toward each other. Toe out, front of tires point outward from the vehicle away from one another.

There is NO adjustment for caster (forward/rear tilt as you look at the side of the wheel/tire) or camber (tilt inward/outward of the top of the tire when looking at it from the front or rear).

The first thing a professional chassis mechanic learns is:

Always Always
    align a vehicle in as close to the configuration that the vehicle is driven in.

This includes vehicle height, tires, wheels, cargo (do you carry heavy tools in the trunk?), heavier than normal human weight (alignment shop may need to place some weight on the drivers seat for a larger than normal driver), and tire pressure (see ride height).

If the shop can not align your vehicle because of tire/wheel size or other, go elsewhere.
    Last edited by Joemm; 2008-02-01 at 10:16 AM.
    OEM
    2001 / C2 edition / 2.5 L / MTX / French blue / Black-blue cloth interior.

I'm only going to have the alignment done at a performance shop, who would obviously be able to deal with non-stock wheels. The wheels I am getting are OEM on another car, so having the alignment done with them shouldn't be too difficult.

Here is the email I got back from a local shop about getting an alignment.

I would put the new wheels & tires on first then get the alignment. However I would get the alignment within 1-2 days after putting the tires on. Don't wait too long in case you are way out of spec. No sense in tearing up new tires.
    1999 Black Mercury Cougar V6 MTX - "Sonic" - ZingFest '13 Pyro81 Memorial Award for Excellence in Interior Design
    SVT UIM/LIM/TB/19#/ECU | Fidanza/SVT | Amsoil | Flowmaster 40 2.5" | SRI | B&G/ST200 | Jaged RSTB | Relocated battery | Gutted interior

+ Reply to Thread