What would cause a good alternator not charging a new battery? HELP PLEASE
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What would cause a good alternator not charging a new battery? HELP PLEASE

What would cause a good alternator not charging a new battery? HELP PLEASE

neco I need your help! My car has had its alternator problems in the past but has been takin care of. now after swapping out 2 alternators in 2 days the battery still doesnt recieve a charge. something along the way is blocking it. I had firestone check it out and they said that the alternator was fine and even put out enough charge to blow there test bulb out, so they said it might be a short in the system somewhere.

I had the car at Ford for a week and they also could not figurre it out, they did the diagnostic and nothing.

Now my car still sits with new paint job and new body work and I still cant appreciate it because the car is not getting charged. What along the way between the alternator and battery is causing this?

Here is what happend. Before I put the car at the body/paint shop the car ran fine. after 3 weeks of leaving the car at the shop and first day driving it back home I see my volt meter start to fall slowly. Next thing I know before I got home the car died. Next day replaced alternator with a new fully charged Optima battery and the voltage started high than dropped as I would drive and eventually the car would die, jump it and charge it for about 5 min and would get me maybe 2 miles down the road and die again. So replaced the next day with another alternator and same symptoms. The alternator works fine but its not sending the charge to the battery. Also when the revs go past 2 rpms the battery light comes on.

When the car was running fine and you gave the car gas the volt gauge would move up because it would react but now it does not react at all.

I have no extra car and has been very hard commuting eveywhere. I need to get the car fixed and I would like anyones input please. Thank You NECO
    ALso I dont have a system hooked up at the moment just aftermarket alarm with remote start and a few interior neons on the inside with some gauges.
    Last edited by CougarRida; 2006-05-23 at 09:05 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    NewCougar.org
    Advertisements

Capital Curmudgeon Lifetime Platinum MemberModerator skater's Avatar

Re: What would cause a good alternator not charging a new battery? HELP PLEASE

Check the main fuse (175 amps or something) and all of the fuses in the box under the hood.
    1999 Cougar, Laser Red, 3.0L V6, MTX (a lot more fun)
    2014 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.7L Diesel (Towzilla)
    2012 Honda Accord V6, ATX (daily)

all the fuses were fine, pulled them all out and looked and the were solid still.

did you check the grounds?

grounds all checked..

Your terminal could be corroded. This happened to me in a previous car. Check all your connections between the battery and the alternator. Although I've only heard of this rarely, it is possible for the alt terminal to go bad.
    2007 Pontiac Solstice GXP
    280rwhp 315rwtq
    13.3 @ 105mph

NECO Member

Do me a favor, start the car and pull off the negative battery cable and see what happens. If your car dies then the problem is alternator related. Based on what you have said so far it would seem the voltage regulator isn't working right. Check the connector for it as the prongs have a tendency to overheat and deform. Turn all the electronics off and connect a volt meter from the alt output to the negative battery terminal and see what the voltage does. Rev the motor up past 2K, hold it there and see what the voltage does. Next try turning on the electronics one by one seeing the voltage response. You should see between 12-15 volts. If it drops below 10 or even 11 check the wiring for the regulator. If that checks out, go probing...the voltage is leaking out somewhere.

You can throw parts at it all day long but your never going to fix it if you don't diagnoise the problem.
    I wouldn't go back to that Firestone they don't seem to...bright....they connect a .3 amp test light to a 120 amp alternator...

The MAIN fuse skater mentioned is NOT in either fuse panel under the hood or under the dash. It is an IN LINE fuse, worth checking though hard to get to. The only other fuse worth even checking for these problems is the #2 fuse under the hood.

but besides all that since you tested the alt and know its at least some what good, that means it has something to do with the voltage sensing wire. Take of the VR plug check for black marks inside the plug on the wire harness side, youll need a small flash light. If you see that have a new plug soldiered in. Else your going to need to trase back the sensing wire or just replace it all together.
    In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria. -Ben Franklin

Funny thing is, same thing happened to me.
    Got my car painted, driving home my car dies and it was the alternator....
    MICH,
    99 Laser Red 3L Roush Cougar & 08 Ford Edge SEL

where is this in line fuse you speak of moraki?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast