engine revs by itself, car drives differently...
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: engine revs by itself, car drives differently...

engine revs by itself, car drives differently...

I've been having this problem only recently, maybe the past two weeks. I noticed it one day sitting in my driveway with the car idling. Occasionally the exhaust would make a really deep tone, and the RPMs would jump up almost to 2K. It stays at around 800 normally, but just jumps up out of nowhere. Now I'm starting to notice it while I'm driving. Tonight, after accelerating down a street, I was slowing down with my foot on the brake, and the RPMs just jumped up to about 2500 and the exhaust rumbled again. Then, sometimes after I accelerate I let my foot off the gas and the RPMs stay up there, then about 2 seconds later it goes down and the car jerks a bit. For some reason I have a feeling it's a fuel delivery problem. I don't have a CEL, and I replaced my fuel filter with a FRAM one about 5,000 miles ago. Never had to replace the fuel pump ('99 ATX w/ 62,000 miles).

Mike
    2006 Pontiac G6 GTP Coupe
    1999 Mercury Cougar
    Current Favorite DJs/Songs: Alex Megane - Little Lies, Alvaro - Piece of Your Heart, Cascada - How Do You Do, Gigi D'Agostino - Those Were the Days, Sven-R-G - Drift Away, Da Franco - Without You, Scooter - Hello (Good to be Back), Tune Up! - Feel Fine

2. Remove Advertisements
    NewCougar.org
    Advertisements

NECO Member

RE:engine revs by itself, car drives differently...

Look through the TSB's for the car.
    I remember reading something about this when I was fighting to get my car fixed awhile ago....
    Something about it reving too much when changing gears.
    I survived Timmy O'Toole getting stuck down the well.

NECO Member

Mine was doing something kinda like what you described and I replaced my IAVC. Now it is all better... well at least that problem anyways.
    99 Blk V6 MTX

RE: engine revs by itself, car drives differently...

yeah, sounds like your Idle Air Control Valve (IACV) is outta whack.. time to get a new one.. $56 shipped from www.autopartsgiant.com

1999 MTX Black Mercury Cougar SOLD
    2004 M6 Black Pontiac GTO

cool...yea it's interesting. Sometimes I'll be driving towards a stop sign, and I'll brake, but then engine will rev and when I let go of the brakes the car jumps forward cuz the engine's gettin' more air than it should.

Mike
    2006 Pontiac G6 GTP Coupe
    1999 Mercury Cougar
    Current Favorite DJs/Songs: Alex Megane - Little Lies, Alvaro - Piece of Your Heart, Cascada - How Do You Do, Gigi D'Agostino - Those Were the Days, Sven-R-G - Drift Away, Da Franco - Without You, Scooter - Hello (Good to be Back), Tune Up! - Feel Fine

Originally posted by: Aries
    yeah, sounds like your Idle Air Control Valve (IACV) is outta whack.. time to get a new one.. $56 shipped from www.autopartsgiant.com

does this effect the performance?
    "You think the way u live is ok, you think posing will save your day, u think we don't see that ur running, better call your boys, cuz i'm coming, you can't be me, i'm a rockstar"

my car does the SAME exact thing, sometimes itll do it alot some times not at all( ATX 53000 miles). From what ive read on the boards, it has no effect on performance.
    CURRENT CAR: 2004 Dodge SRT-4
    MODS: Mopar Stage 1, Mopar Blowoff Valve, Mopar Stage 2 Adjustable Wastegate Actuator, K&N Cold Air Intake, MSD 8.5mm wires
    SOLD: 1999 Mercury Cougar V-6: Fastest N/A 2.5 ATX on the boards:15.82@87mph

unless it throws a CEL, it probably won't effect performance... the idle air control valve is what lets the air into your engine when your foot is off the gas... a broken idle air control valve will let more air enter than usual.. you car wil just act like you have your foot on the gas pedal all the time..

1999 MTX Black Mercury Cougar SOLD
    2004 M6 Black Pontiac GTO

Nemesis

check the gap on your plugs? I run a narrower gap on mine, and sometimes i have a tipsy idle, but nothing major.

99SilverCougarV6

I had the samer problem only the revs rose higher. Oddly, what i did was i started revving the CENSORED out the car and it stopped. It was strange but the car never revved itself again.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast