Vents Won't Stay Open
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Vents Won't Stay Open

Vents Won't Stay Open

I blast the A/C the moment I step into the car because it burns up inside the car in the sun. I try and keep all the vents open all the way, but both driver's side vents won't stay open. They stay open for a few seconds, then pop half shut. It's really annyoing me, because I can't get the full blast of cold air on me for more than a few seconds at a time. Is there anything I can do about this?

1999 MTX Black Mercury Cougar SOLD
    2004 M6 Black Pontiac GTO

2. Remove Advertisements
    NewCougar.org
    Advertisements

starshower
    you just bought the car recently, right?
    take it to the dealership if you're still in warrantee. or, contact whoever you bought it from, see if it was an existing problem.

JimB

Vents Won't Stay Open

I have the same problem. Never bothered to get it fixed. Its a minor one compared to the rest. If you find a quick fix or if I ever decide to tackle mine lets post the results.

NECO Member

Vents Won't Stay Open

Im confused as to how the vents close.. Dont you have to turn them clockwise and counter-clockwise?

I like to watch planes fly by and when I see them I try to squash them between my index finger and thumb. I also like playing rock, paper, scissor.

Vents Won't Stay Open

I still haven't fixed it totally. I took it apart when I was painting my dash. I also painted the vents. I guess the paint added a thin little layer to the surface, cuz it doesn't do it often anymore. It still does it when it's extrememly hot, but when the A/C kicks in, and the vents cool down, it stays open. I think it's all a heat expansion thing. When you open the vents,there are flaps that fold open. They open against the airflow. If it's hot, the air pushes the flaps back shut. That's why it doesn't wanna stay open. There's gotta be some way to tighten the vents so it isn't as easy to open and shut. Anyone got any ideas?

1999 MTX Black Mercury Cougar SOLD
    2004 M6 Black Pontiac GTO

NECO Member

Vents Won't Stay Open

er.. might want to replace those parts. /me shrugs.
    I like to watch planes fly by and when I see them I try to squash them between my index finger and thumb. I also like playing rock, paper, scissor.

sintaxera

Vents Won't Stay Open

I have the same problem and I know exactly what is wrong.

I have a 2000 with the same problem on the very left vent. This is where style came before design. Think about it. You have a round vent in a round airduct hole, and you twist it to make it shut. Well, they want it to feel SMOOTH when you shut it, so they don't but clicks in there to make different stop points. Also, look inside as you twist it shut, you see those flaps inside close as you twist? Well here is what is happening.

1) It's hot, all the plastic parts are loose.
    2) You crank the A/C up all the way.
    3) The air flow pushes against the flaps inside the vent.
    4) These flaps close causing the vent to rotate to the closed position (just like your doing it by hand!)

So what does Ford install to stop this? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

FELT PADS!

That's right, cheap felt pads inside the air duct, make just enough resistance (when new) to stop this from happening. The problem is that every time you close the vent, or move the vent, or have air flow over the felt, you wear out the felt a little more and more. And these are some CHEAP pads, to see, just aim your vent all the way down, and run your finger on the bottom of the air duct opening. See that black dust? That's the felt coming off in your hand. Also, it dusts up your car pretty good too. I don't know if the other years are desinged the same way, but I fixed mine by going to Wal-Mart's sewing section (yeah, that weird department next to automotive) and boutght some sticky sided felt, cut it to fit and voila! Problem solved!

NECO Member

Vents Won't Stay Open

the first day i bought my 99, it had 30000 miles already on it, and ALL of the common broke ass features were included, faulty a/c vents, faulty fuel pump, engine click-whine-buzz-clang-pop....all of em, but the a/c selector had to be replaced by the dealership, the system is so called vacum pressureized, which pulls and pushes open the vents by use of air. my selectors hoses had a small hole in one end- check the hoses direcly behind the center control panel where the alarm led and rear defrost button sit.
    Mazda 3'n around town now-

Last I heard the cougar was rolled into a sand dune.....should of kept it.

Vents Won't Stay Open

You can delete your post, just click the delete button under the post once you are logged in.
    2000 Tourmaline Green V6

[ CougarDB.com/caenus ]

+ Reply to Thread