Dome light wont turn on when doors open
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dome light wont turn on when doors open

NECO Member

Dome light wont turn on when doors open

Ok, this one has me stumped. The light turns on when you turn the switch to "on" but nothing when it's on "12 sec" meaning when you open the doors the interior is still dark

The open door light does comes on so I know the pin witches are working and as mentioned the light works when you manually turn it on

Checked fuses, all are good, replaced bulb (just in case) and replaced the courtesy lamp relay R12. Still nothing.

Any ideas what it could be?

2. Remove Advertisements
    NewCougar.org
    Advertisements

3L Install Maestro Moderator Blackcoog's Avatar

Re: Dome light wont turn on when doors open

Could be a bad door switch. Does the car beep when the keys are in the ignition but the door is open?
    Visit: 3LDuratec.com for a prepped 3L ready to drop in!

Click here to see my Cougar.

NECO Member

Yes, as mentioned the door open indicator lights up instantly and both the key and headlight on reminder still work as normal

NECO Member

Thinking about this more, since the indicator light works maybe I will just tap into that for a switched power source with the doors and use a relay to the dome light harness so that the light comes on when you open the door and shuts off when you close it (bypass the 12 second feature)

Already checked with my multi-meter and found the shared + and which of the dual feeds is the constant and switched leads

SENIOR moderator, sonny! Lifetime Platinum MemberModerator LinkMan's Avatar

Do your intermittent wipers work on the intermittent setting? Does your rear window defroster work? I'd bet money your problem is the central timer module. The 12-sec dome light delay is the responsibility of the CTM, so if everything about the dome light except the delay portion works, I'd bet CTM problems. Check those other things to confirm.
    Mark
    2001 Laser Red Cougar V6 ATX - "Fun!"
    | CF 2005 Best Stock | CF 2006 Best Paint (tie) / 2nd Cleanest | CF 2007 Cleanest |
    | CF X 2nd Cleanest | CF 2009 Cleanest | CF 2010 Cleanest / 2nd Best Paint / 2nd Interior |
    | CF 2011 Cleanest / 2nd Best Paint | CF 2012 2nd Interior / 2nd Engine Bay |
    1997 Medium Willow Taurus GL V6 ATX - "Daily" | 2008 Dark Ink Blue Fusion SEL V6 ATX - "The Good Car"
    (99 Rio Red Cougar V6 ATX - RIP 28 Jan 2001)

NECO Member

Yes, wiper delay works perfect and rear defog turns on fine and shuts off by itself

NECO Member

Just occurred to me that the door open light wont work since it only lights up when the car is in the run position. Back to the drawing board.

Wish there was an easy way to tap into the door chime, may only work on the drivers side but that would still be worlds better then what I have now

NECO Member

in a 3 position switch (on,off,12sec) the off and on positions could be good but the 12sec position or its wiring could be bad.
    from the posts, i don't see that you checked this.

NECO Member

The switch was fine, when I checked it with my meter the delay wire was dead no matter what I did

I went nuts in the fusebox and found a wire that must be for the door open (ground when door is open, off when shut) so I tapped into it and ran new wire to the light, spliced the existing blue/blk wire and voila, I now have a working dome light. Doesnt delay off (shuts off as soon as the door is closed) but who cares.

NECO Member

Quote Originally Posted by joekd View Post
    Doesnt delay off (shuts off as soon as the door is closed) but who cares.
    i actually prefer that

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast