Speedometer not working
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Speedometer not working

Moderator Moderator Freedom Fighter's Avatar

Speedometer not working

The speedo stopped working the other day... a day or so later I got a CEL...

Went to Advance to have the code read and they said it was for the speed sensor.

Bought a new speed sensor, installed it and still not working.

When I put the car in self diagnostic mode the speedo needle will dial all the way up then down...

So, I'm sure the actual speedo needle is working, the sensor should be good too... since I just replaced it... deductive reasoning is leading me to the actual gears in the trans..... I have an MTX....

Any feedback?

2. Remove Advertisements
    NewCougar.org
    Advertisements

NECO Member

Re: Speedometer not working

Can someone confirm that there is an OBDII error code for the VSS? I didn't think there was one.
    FFighter, is the code gone now? Are you sure that it was a CEL, or could it have been a code for the traction control?

I don't have traction control on my coug......I don't know what the code # was, I forgot to ask, but the advance auto dude said it was for the VSS??? I still have the CEL... I can get it read again.

Capital Curmudgeon Lifetime Platinum MemberModerator skater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arbreacames View Post
    Can someone confirm that there is an OBDII error code for the VSS? I didn't think there was one.
    FFighter, is the code gone now? Are you sure that it was a CEL, or could it have been a code for the traction control?
    P0500 according to our very own list.
    1999 Cougar, Laser Red, 3.0L V6, MTX (a lot more fun)
    2014 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.7L Diesel (Towzilla)
    2012 Honda Accord V6, ATX (daily)

Sometimes Faster than Dan Lifetime Platinum MemberSuper Moderator B3NN3TT's Avatar

There is the VSS in the transaxle, that reads the vehicle's speed relative to the road. Then there is the VSS on the wheels, that reads the wheel speed relative to the other wheels, for the ABS system (on cars equipped with ABS).

Chad, I'd first check the connection on the back of the cluster. If that looks good, then you might indeed have an issue with the speedo gear on the differential, or the little gear that connects it to the speed sensor.

Very well... I'll check that cluster plug next.... I did call Tousley and they can locate the large plastic gear that sits next to the diff, but the smaller plastic gear that connects to the VSS sensor is totally obsolete and not available in any vintage warehouse they know of.....

Let's hope it's the plug...

I will be pulling the powertrain in a few weeks for the 3.0 swap....so I will have access to the tranny... but if it's the gear and I can't find a gear then what the F&%*

Sometimes Faster than Dan Lifetime Platinum MemberSuper Moderator B3NN3TT's Avatar

Yeah, you're lucky you have a later model; the differential gear is obsolete for my 2000, so I had to carefully pry my old differential apart to re-use my old one on my Torsen.

There are enough junked cars out there that you should be able to score the part from a wreck, if the need arises. Hopefully that's not the issue, though.

Lucky you're pulling the powertrain soon regardless, as I would HATE to have to pull an entire trans just for that stupid little gear.

Junkyard may be my next best friend if the issue is not the plug.....will check that tonight.... Thanks for all the help! Will update later this evening!

I sent you a PM with the info where to get a gear. I have the same issue, even tested the points in the harness to make sure everything was good. I have the info for that also if you needed. I read in another thread no to long ago that you can put some electrical tape around the needle of the vss a very thin amount and it will catch the gear. Just a test method he said it only worked for a week. I still have to change out my tranny gear. Haven't tested electrical tape method as I need to get a new alternator. I'm not looking forward to pulling my tranny, but while is out I'm just going to rebuilt it while I have it out.

I get my PM's on my phone so if you have any question just PM me if you need a fast response.

Great news!!! unplugged both plugs to gauges and replugged... put everything back together and VOILA! Speedo works... totally weird.

Problem solved... hopefully for good...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast