Fuel Tank/Pump Removal..help!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Fuel Tank/Pump Removal..help!

NECO Member

Fuel Tank/Pump Removal..help!

Hey guys,

New to this forum, working on my gf's 2000 2.5L auto and I am replacing the pump in it with the updated version. Since it is her car I didn't feel cool with trimming back the sheet metal below her rear seat which I wish I would have done now cause I have hit a real snag and I am really nervous about continuing.

My issue is taking out the fuel filler tube from the fuel tank. Now the tank is empty with really no weight, I have a lifting table under it so I can bring it down evenly, I have unlocked the white and gray plastic collars to where the slots or windows of the white collar have popped up and are lined up with gray collar tabs sticking up. But every time I try and lower the tank everything lowers except from that point so I know it is the hold up. Tried tugging on it but really didnt give it too much persuasion yet. Tried even kinda rocking it back and forth without pulling just to see if I could loosen something up but no luck. It is very tough to even get the tank to slide down the neck. Can only get about 1.5 to 2" down from the metal flange welded to the filler tube. PLEASE HELP? Is there something im missing (attached is a picture of where I sit right now with the connection, I can slide it down further but not too much more)? Another secret? Or does it need alot of prying and persuasion before it comes out? Should it gently slide out or does it give alot of resistance before it finally pops?

I wrestled with it for about 2.5 hours last night. I have referenced the how to link below and did a decent amount of forum history research and really haven't found anything with my problem. Also I have a 12 page .pdf of the Ford Recall Mechanics Notice for the Fuel Pump, don't know if you guys already have this but its not letting me attach a .pdf, I can email to someone if you would like. But anyways any help would be much appreciated and thank you!

How to I referenced: NECO How-To PDF Links - #57

Fuel Tank/Pump Removal..help!-imag0182.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    NewCougar.org
    Advertisements

Re: Fuel Tank/Pump Removal..help!

I'm hoping someone else chimes in with the answer you need... but just a couple of ideas: This picture is where the filler neck attaches to the tank right? can you disconnect the filler tube anywhere else along it's path? like where it meets the quarter panel or somewhere in between? another option: can you lower the tank enough so that you could still get the pump out of the existing hole under the back seat?
    **FOR SALE** - 1999 Cougar, 2.5 ATX, Tourmaline Green - March 16, 2012 - Present **FOR SALE**
    Current - 2013 Ford Fiesta Titanium - March 31, 2014 - Present

NECO Member

Hey,

Ooooo thats a good idea, i wonder if I can remove the fuel filler neck with the tank. The picture is of the locking feature where the rusted metal filler neck goes into the gas tank. I wonder how much I will have to take off/out to do that. That sounds even better after I read some threads in the past where guys have had issues like I am having pulling it out but they said its even worse trying to get it back together. If its all together with the tank then I don't got to worry bout that.

I can drop it far enough to work on the pump through the rear seat access panel. My only issue is that I would like to update the pump to the newer version which means I will have to cut the tabs out of the bottom of the tank and I already got the ok from the local Ford dealership to bring it in and they will do that for me...so I need to get that tank out. I would have totally done that already if I didnt have to pull the tank.

Thank you for the ideas though, im going to see if I can pull the filler neck out with the tank. Also does anyone know if the Airtex pump kit from Autozone is the updated version or is it of the old design? I already read in older posts about BENNETT directing people to the correct pump from a place that is called British something for a really good price. But my gf has already bought the Airtex pump so since we already have it I figured if it is the correct pump then were good and actually the pump itself is a Walbro, I think Airtex buys the Walbro units and then makes their own screens and fittings and packages it as their own stuff. Here is a link to the pump: Airtex Master/Fuel Pump (E2390) | Fuel Pump | 2000 Mercury Cougar 6 Cylinders L 2.5L SFI DOHC | AutoZone.com

Thanks
    ,Brandon

NECO Member

Hey all,

I was just checking in to see if anyone knew if the Airtex pump at Autozone (link above) was the new re-design needed? I can't figure out or find in researching how the new re-designed pumps attach themselves to the tank? Cause if we are cutting out the retaining tabs on the bottom and ditching the existing setup how is the new setup supposed to look? All I have is the pump itself with various gaskets and screens provided by Airtex. Does this pump hang from above?

Thank you,
    Brandon

NECO Member Gold Member nadthomas's Avatar

Probably since you don't it out of the car yet I'm guessing you are a little confused on the parts. There is the "fuel pump assembly" which is what you will be pulling out of the fuel tank, and then there is just the "fuel pump". The fuel pump is found inside the fuel pump assembly. If you are not replacing the entire assembly then you don't need to worry about cutting the plastic tabs out of the bottom of the tank. Just disassemble the fuel pump assembly, replace the fuel pump, reassemble, and insert back into the tank the same way it came out.

The updated fuel pump assembly does not have tabs to lock into the bottom of the tank, but instead is spring loaded, and therefore the tabs need cut out of the bottom of the tank so it rest directly on the bottom.

Faster then Andy this week.
    2001 C2 3L ATX -SVT UIM/TB, BB LIM, CAI, MSDS Headers, SHOShop Y-pipe, B&M Oil(ATX) Cooler, Roush Springs, BAT Struts, RSTB, XR Wheels
    French Blue C2 - Silver Frost Roush Cougar - Rio Red Cougar

Faster than Dan. Lifetime Platinum MemberModerator B3NN3TT's Avatar

Right; what you're linking to is basically just the "motor" of the fuel pump assembly.

NECO Member

Hey all,

Guys I really appreciate all of your help and input. Ya at the time I still hadn't had the tank out and was confused as to how everything worked...once I pulled the tank (btw that thing sucks) I looked at it and finally understood how it all went together. I had the Airtex pump itself and ended up returning it and going with the complete module made by Carter with gaskets, grommets, etc. Thanks again guys.

,Brandon

3L Install Maestro Moderator Blackcoog's Avatar

Cut the floor next time. It only takes about 15-30min to swap then. lol
    Visit: 3LDuratec.com for a prepped 3L ready to drop in!

Click here to see my Cougar.

Hi FitArch,

so now i have the same problem and thinking about how you could separate the fuel filler line from the tank. Can you give me some tricks after you have understood how it works..

Thanks
    2000 Mercury Cougar S - Mods: '02 3.0l re-build hybrid, Fidanza, SPEC Stage 3, Clevite, K1 rods, Diamond pistons, ARP, MasterPower T3/T4 turbo, 42lb injectors, 90mm MAF, Aeromotive Stealth pump...

Yea, you could pull the pump out of the back seat like a normal person would. Work smart, not hard! lol.
    2002 cougar MURDERED OUT GRIP SKANK
    well this list is a bit long
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/CougarGuy0218
    http://www.myspace.com/scubasteve1987

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast