how do you know your engine has gone bad??
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: how do you know your engine has gone bad??

how do you know your engine has gone bad??

I am starting this thread in hopes that people will find it a little comical and gain a little bit of incite on trouble shooting their engines.

well lets start my story. On January 24th took my car in to jiffy lube to have my oil done. keep in mind that this is the first time i have let any one change my oil in about 8 years. took about 30 mins, got my car drove home. next went to work about 7 miles away no problems, got off work went to the gym for about 2 hours. Got done their, driving jumping on the free about half way home merging between highway 16 and I-5. I hear a clunk clak clak clak. " the f#$#" oil lights start flash. as I am thinking to my self crap i knew I should have gotten road side service on my insurance. so i had to drive close to two miles home with what eve is going on with my engine. car died three time had to natural drop it all three times. get home look at my engine cant see any thing wrong from the top. So i look at the bottom oil all over the bottom of my car. check the oil filter on nice and tight. check for the oil plug. Where in the F#@# is the oil plug its missing. so if you engine is making a loud clacking noise pretty sure its shot. I will post up some videos tomorrow. if any one else has a story post it up here

2. Remove Advertisements
    NewCougar.org
    Advertisements

Capital Curmudgeon Lifetime Platinum MemberModerator skater's Avatar

Re: how do you know your engine has gone bad??

Yeah, sounds bad. It sounds like they didn't tighten the oil drain plug... time for a 3L, mostly on their dime!
    1999 Cougar, Laser Red, 3.0L V6, MTX (a lot more fun)
    2014 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.7L Diesel (Towzilla)
    2012 Honda Accord V6, ATX (daily)

Damn I would lose my mind if that happened to me. Mostly because I just dropped in the 3L.

I would be talking to jiffy lube in a hurry.

Sold-1999 3.0L Mercury Cougar- Cougardb // Cardomain // Fuelly
    New- 2011 Ford Fusion Sport AWD- CAI&tune. Fuelly//Cardomain

well i have a 3l in there right now. sorry didnt get a chance to get some video of the engine and the awesome sound it makes will try with in the next couple of days.

are u planning to have jiffy lube resolve this?
    Full 3L '99 Mercury Cougar MTX.
    236 HP.

2006 GSX600R. white with blue pearl
    Quote Originally Posted by nadthomas View Post
    Man, I'm glad you figured that one out for us, that has been such a road block.

@ aboythatstes of course. right now i am trying resolve this with the manager their. i have been in contact with a lawyer as well. got some est. on how much a engine and install would cost from a ford dealer the engine alone is 3500 and another 1700 to install. I have two more est. coming in tomorrow so i can find a middle ground and meet the manager their with how much i need to fix my car.

That's great to hear. I was going to say get a quote from Ford. Doing a swap like that I would trust either a dealership or a performance shop.

When I got my 3L install done at my brothers Ford it was 2600. But that included a transmission swap, new clutch/flywheel/slave and a diff install. With fluids, and the other gears that needed to be replaced with the diff install, new plugs and wires and probably a few other things.

I was super happy with everything and thanks to my brother I got it for a great price.

Sold-1999 3.0L Mercury Cougar- Cougardb // Cardomain // Fuelly
    New- 2011 Ford Fusion Sport AWD- CAI&tune. Fuelly//Cardomain

woooo. i wish something like that happened to me.lol.jk. it would be too much of a hassle.
    though u should get anything u left out the first time u swapped (if theres anything) wth the money your not wasting. u feel me?
    Full 3L '99 Mercury Cougar MTX.
    236 HP.

2006 GSX600R. white with blue pearl
    Quote Originally Posted by nadthomas View Post
    Man, I'm glad you figured that one out for us, that has been such a road block.

It's stories like this that remind me why nobody has worked on my car but me in the last 3 years.

Sorry to hear about that. It sounds like you're going through the right channels to get everything dealt with. Best of luck.
    - James

2002 3.0 L Cougar MTX - Born: 7-30-02, Adopted: 1-27-07, Died: 3-14-10, Revived: 8-1-10

+ Reply to Thread