Leaking coolant and oil - head gasket issues?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Leaking coolant and oil - head gasket issues?

Sometimes Faster than Dan Lifetime Platinum MemberSuper Moderator B3NN3TT's Avatar

Re: Leaking coolant and oil - head gasket issues?

I was referring to my SVT FOCUS. Zetec. There was a trail of coolant down the transaxle bellhousing, and it was dripping on the floor.
    www.B3NN3TT.com CougarDB CarDomain Facebook deviantART Last.fm Twitter

2000 Roush Cougar 2008 Bullitt #5389 2003 SVT Focus #2370 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth

2. Remove Advertisements
    NewCougar.org
    Advertisements

NECO Member

Quote Originally Posted by B3NN3TT View Post
    I was referring to my SVT FOCUS. Zetec. There was a trail of coolant down the transaxle bellhousing, and it was dripping on the floor.
    Sounds exactly like my leak. I'll assume the thermostat housing is the part to blame for the coolant leak.

The car has been in my driveway for three hours. There's only a small spot on the ground from the thermostat housing, but there's now a larger spot coming from farther back on the engine, roughly underneath the gear shifter. I ran the a/c on the way home, but I'll have to go check the liquid on the ground to be certain.

EDIT: I called my mechanic and briefly explained the problem. He said since it wasn't overheating there's a good chance it may be the intake gasket as opposed to the head gasket. He also told me the 2.5Ls commonly had intake gasket trouble. I'm taking it to him tomorrow morning for a better educated guess.
    Last edited by j_ryan; 2010-06-30 at 04:17 PM.

^ if hes saying your zetec intake gasket is causing your coolant leak i'm sayin go elseware! this is not a pushrod v6 that has a typical v-shape intake manifold as almost all cars typically do have, he prolly thinks this things a vulcan...lmao

it sounds like your vehicle only leaks during pressurized system operation...aka running, let it idle and watch it, fortunate to you the most heat creating thing a vehicle can do is IDLE with the vehicle stationary rather than using air cooling along the radiator...

Scuba
    2002 cougar MURDERED OUT GRIP SKANK
    well this list is a bit long
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/CougarGuy0218
    http://www.myspace.com/scubasteve1987

Capital Curmudgeon Lifetime Platinum MemberModerator skater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CougarGuy1802 View Post
    ^ if hes saying your zetec intake gasket is causing your coolant leak i'm sayin go elseware! this is not a pushrod v6 that has a typical v-shape intake manifold as almost all cars typically do have, he prolly thinks this things a vulcan...lmao
    It's not a V6 at all. If his mechanic can't tell the difference between a 4 and 6 cylinder engine, he probably would already be elsewhere.
    1999 Cougar, Laser Red, 3.0L V6, MTX (a lot more fun)
    2014 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.7L Diesel (Towzilla)
    2012 Honda Accord V6, ATX (daily)

TZT Performance Platinum MemberModerator Turbo Zetec Tour's Avatar

take it elsewhere. where are you located? its possible there is a local NECOer close that would be willing to look at or work on it for you.

FWIW, the intake gaskets on the Zetec dont have problems, nor do they have any coolant flowing through them so its certainly not the issue.
    Daniel - TZT Performance
    '93 Mitsu 3000GT VR4 - 230K miles and counting
    2000 Black SVTC #391 - sold
    '97 Contour GL Tutrbo - sent to the crusher Jan 09

NECO Member

Hm well he diagnosed that over the phone, but I'll see what he says tomorrow. I found the coolant leak on the thermostat housing, but it looks like there is another one farther back that I can't see. I'm located in east TN.

It's common for a heater hose to break on the Zetec, but you would know if it was busted. You'd be pissing coolant ALL OVER the rear of the engine. I still say get a compression test done and then replace the thermostat housing gasket.
    Ian - ATX Zetec

NECO Member

The mechanic briefly checked it out for me today. He said the previous owner of the car had put liquid glass into the coolant to stop a leak, and that's the substance that was in the reservoir not oil. He told me he wants to change the thermostat housing gasket to stop the first leak and then flush the coolant to get it back to normal. He said if the car wasn't running roughly, overheating or had antifreeze in the oil than I shouldn't have any head gasket issues. He said it would be roughly $125-$150 to change the thermostat housing gasket and flush the coolant. Seems kind of high to me.

Sometimes Faster than Dan Lifetime Platinum MemberSuper Moderator B3NN3TT's Avatar

That sounds about right to me. Glad to hear it's not a head gasket. I can't believe it was leaking that much coolant by the time you noticed!
    www.B3NN3TT.com CougarDB CarDomain Facebook deviantART Last.fm Twitter

2000 Roush Cougar 2008 Bullitt #5389 2003 SVT Focus #2370 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth

NECO Member

Quote Originally Posted by B3NN3TT View Post
    That sounds about right to me. Glad to hear it's not a head gasket. I can't believe it was leaking that much coolant by the time you noticed!
    The leak got severe really quickly. It went from not leaking to leaking completely out in a matter of days in around a week and a half. I just hope some fresh coolant fixes this issue.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast