Cougar won't shift into any gear (manual)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cougar won't shift into any gear (manual)

Cougar won't shift into any gear (manual)

So the other day I'm driving down the road and going to downshift when i realize i can't feel the car grab any gears.. so i come to a complete stop and my car will not catch any gears, i can move my shifter into circles.. feels like there's no first,2nd ect even reverse..

Had it towed back to my place, the car starts fine just wont grab the tow truck driver said he saw a problem (it was a clip broken) fixed the clamp and it still wont grab? my mechanic says it might be the transmission but i really don't trust his judgment this time.. car has 70,000 miles..

Anyone have any tips? thanks..

2. Remove Advertisements
    NewCougar.org
    Advertisements

Re: Cougar won't shift into any gear (manual)

check the linkage, where it hooks to the shifter. mine came off on a quick shift once. scared me but it was just that the linkage came off the shifter. and i could move it in circles. just pry up your boot, and check under the shifter assembly. it just snaps back on.
    91' Chevrolet Silverado 1500 5.0 Atx 2wd (Daily Driver)
    99' Mercury Cougar 2.5 V6 Mtx (Sold)
    98' Ford Windstar 3.8 V6 Atx (Fiancee's Daily Driver)
    89' Plymouth Acclaim 2.5 I4 Atx (Sold trusty dusty =( )

Well it seems my roommate did that "hes my mechanic" If u can maybe upload a picture to show what i'm looking for?

its dark here. its the only linkage under the shift assembly, there is one that snaps to the side, and one on the bottom. when mine popped off the bottom, it did just what you describe. your mechanic probably checked where they connect to the trans.

Ok, ima have to check it tomarrow cause its dark here aswell, ill keep you posted.

its under here. thats the best pic i have on my computer from my mtx conversion. i hope thats your problem, i was acting stupid when mine popped off, and i thought i blew the tranny.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cougar won't shift into any gear (manual)-100_1934.jpg  

Leadfoot, i just whent into my car to check and the link on the bottom moves front to back fine when i move my shifter, and the one on the right side moves up and down when i move it sideways.. sound right?

Sometimes Faster than Dan Lifetime Platinum MemberSuper Moderator B3NN3TT's Avatar

If there is a cable attached to the bottom of the shifter, and one attached to the little arm on the side of the shifter, then you're OK INSIDE the car.

Each cable also connects to a post on the transaxle as well. If you remove the driver's side wheel, you can see clearly where the cables attach out there. Visually inspect the cable ends, and have someone move the shifter inside the car to verify that the cables are actually moving out there as well.

Under the hood, there is a large counter-weight on the top of the transaxle near where the cables connect - it's easy to reach from the top; it's just down below the air box. You should be able to shift the transmission into gear by moving that weight around; it pretty much acts like a shifter. If you can put the car in and out of gear by moving the weight back and forth, then your cables are bad. If you can't, then your shift tower has broken inside the transaxle and needs surgery.
    www.B3NN3TT.com CougarDB CarDomain Facebook deviantART Last.fm Twitter

2000 Roush Cougar 2008 Bullitt #5389 2003 SVT Focus #2370 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth

Thank you for the help Bennett I'm at work atm, but I will check this ASAP, and ill tell u what I find.

Sorry but of anyone can provide a picture of the transaxle and or shift tower, sorry I quite don't understand what u mean.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast