Speedometer cutting in and out
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Speedometer cutting in and out

NECO Member

Speedometer cutting in and out

My speedo is cutting in and out and the engine misses for a second when it happens. The car still runs but sometimes the speedo goes down to zero while driving and then kicks back in. Anybody ever seen this before? Seems like an electrical glitch.

2. Remove Advertisements
    NewCougar.org
    Advertisements

Capital Curmudgeon Lifetime Platinum MemberModerator skater's Avatar

Re: Speedometer cutting in and out

Vehicle speed sensor would be my guess. MTX or ATX?
    1999 Cougar, Laser Red, 3.0L V6, MTX (a lot more fun)
    2014 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.7L Diesel (Towzilla)
    2012 Honda Accord V6, ATX (daily)

when my atx speed sensor went out, my speedo went dead and it wouldnt shift, so i had to drive 10 miles in 2nd to get the part. i was doing about 35 on the highway.
    91' Chevrolet Silverado 1500 5.0 Atx 2wd (Daily Driver)
    99' Mercury Cougar 2.5 V6 Mtx (Sold)
    98' Ford Windstar 3.8 V6 Atx (Fiancee's Daily Driver)
    89' Plymouth Acclaim 2.5 I4 Atx (Sold trusty dusty =( )

The engine and gauges are both loosing power for a second it seems. I would think the battery would act as a buffer to sudden power drops. That makes me think something is wrong with the battery and probably the alt then since the output is cutting out. One last thing it could be is a short. There was a recall about a wire that could rub then short out but I don't remember exactly. Just check the battery and alt first. If they are good I suspect a short somewhere. Anyone with more detailed advice?
    99 MTX - Eibach, KYB, Energy Suspension, SVT Goodies

Weight Reductions - Put your cat on a diet!

NECO Member

I JUSt fixed this problem todaY Actually. At first i replaced my VSS to no avail. I was having the same issues. the speedo cuts out and engine acts up. and tranny wouldnt shift right. i was all worried it was something serious. turns out it was my instrument cluster. They are forty to fifty bucks on ebay and it isn't too hard to replace. changing that fixed everything. good luck buddy

Sometimes Faster than Dan Lifetime Platinum MemberSuper Moderator B3NN3TT's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kawboy View Post
    My speedo is cutting in and out and the engine misses for a second when it happens. The car still runs but sometimes the speedo goes down to zero while driving and then kicks back in. Anybody ever seen this before? Seems like an electrical glitch.
    If the engine is cutting out, it's most definitely electrical. Vampieralla's car was doing that, and it turned out the main power wire from the alternator to the battery was rubbing on something and shorting out; it almost caused a fire.

+ Reply to Thread