2000 cougar idle problems HELP PLEASE
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2000 cougar idle problems HELP PLEASE

NECO Member

2000 cougar idle problems HELP PLEASE

I have the wonderful mercury cougar 2000 v6 it has 170000 miles on it .the car was fine then the next morning when i started it the car would not idle i have been reading thru the threads with people who seem to have the same problem.I have changed the throttle position sensor,the idle air control valve,and the lastest the master air flow sensor.nothing seems to fix the problem the car will idle but at around 700 rpms when it was running good like everybody else has said it would idle at 1000 rpms.Don't have the cash to take it to a dealer so here i'am .from what i have read and with so many of us haveing the same problem has anyone found the fix for the problem. I no there are so many sensors and vac lines and on board computer that this controls that and that control this but is there a answer.thanks for any help guy's and girls don't want to say girls can't now there cars.

2. Remove Advertisements
    NewCougar.org
    Advertisements

Re: 2000 cougar idle problems HELP PLEASE

the idle should be around 750 when the engine is warm

2000 Original Roush -Svt lite-Short ram-Borla duals

Normal idle is about 750... which is 3rd dash, just before 1000RPM.

If you're idle is up and down (like some of us) then there could be various problems. Do you have a CEL (Check Engine Light)? Go to an AutoZone and they'll read your computer codes for free.

I'm not done with my car, but its idle/runnings issues maybe done or close to it I hope. But I replaced the very old Spark plugs and cables, DPFE and EGR and had a cable disconnected that goes to the IMRC... Look just under the air-intake rubber hose going the Throttle body - theres a cable/linkage down there. This is my car and my problems doesn't mean they are yours.

Hey... there are guys who can't change a tire.
    184,500+ miles on my 99 Cougar.

NECO Member

I should have said my eng.light was on sorry about that but i used to idle right at 1000 rpms .i drove it today but the rpms will go up and down from 1000 to 1500 rpms and even when i let off the gas it will stay around there but then will drop down to 750.yes that linkage did come off but i fixed it .but anyway from what parts i have put on has at least let the car now idles in park.but idles so rough hope someone finds the right part that they replaced that i haven't .thanks fro the imput texas.

Have you had the codes read? post them here and that will help us narrow down the cause(s) of the problem.
    You can have it done at autozone, advance auto, pep boys,ect.ect.

2000 Original Roush -Svt lite-Short ram-Borla duals

Autozone is free... and post ALL the codes that are given to you.

Once I have confirmed my car is fixed, I will leave my own thread open (Its nice when people say "that worked"). I have about $300 in parts & tools on my car, some I needed anyways ($300 in spark plugs and wires). Until that CEL goes out, I'm not in the woods. For me, I'd say the Spark plugs helped the most... and it seemed that it still didn't run right until I drove it around. In another 40miles (150 total) I'm going to check my error codes again. My thread is: Idle and Running problems in the Cold
    184,500+ miles on my 99 Cougar.

NECO Member

Ha cat it has been a while but just wanted to let u know that my car is idleing now and i can drive it .it's not right but i got it back on the road .changing pug's this weekend and once i have a little more money i think i may pull off the intake and clean it good .thanks for the help.

+ Reply to Thread