Idle Tick
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Idle Tick

Idle Tick

I just noticed this today sitting in the Drive Thru at WackArnold's but it sounds like a small tick at idle only. Almost like a soft lifter knock. I know our cars make a little racket at idle but this sounds like a small knock. Almost unnoticible. But I know how my car sounds and it doesn't sound right. Any ideas? Maybe i'm just paranoid cos' my last engine blew up lol Oil and coolant levels are good.

On a side note I know I need a new IACV cos' the car stalls if I press in the clutch. Also does the oil light always come on when the car studders and stalls? like flicker. Wondering if these are connected....Fell free to flame of need be lol

2. Remove Advertisements
    NewCougar.org
    Advertisements

Re: Idle Tick

my cougar has always ticked since i bought it at 80k but at 162k The tick changed into the sound in the video and at 169k i decided it was time to get the 3L. I'm still waiting for my car to be ready sometime in the next 2 weeks i go. Dom over in Ohio is doing the work for me he told me there was a pretty damaged lifter that was making the sound and that the lobe where the lifter was a little worn. here is the sound i am talking about.

sometimes a loose spark plug can manifest itself into a pretty loud tick

Sometimes Faster than Dan Lifetime Platinum MemberSuper Moderator B3NN3TT's Avatar

The oil light flickers when the engine almost stalls. The rotation of the crank drives the oil pump. When the crank (nearly) stops turning, the oil stops flowing.

Ticking at idle could be a simple as an exhaust leak; a gap in the gasket, a loose bolt, a rust hole, a cracked weld... anything.

I did put msds headers on with metal gaskets? Could it be a problem with those? but it does sound like it's coming from the engine near the UIM almost like a lifter but it's pretty quiet, but def not normal. What should I do first?

Quote Originally Posted by zpuhalla View Post
    I did put msds headers on with metal gaskets? Could it be a problem with those? but it does sound like it's coming from the engine near the UIM almost like a lifter but it's pretty quiet, but def not normal. What should I do first?
    It could be the injectors clicking too.

Actually that's probably what it is considering where you described it was coming from. They click pretty loud. Definately noticeable at idle.

Born 02/13/1999. Silver Frost Duratec MTX Sport -CougarDB-Cardomain-Facebook

never noticed it before? the clicking from them just operating? or a stuck one?

Sometimes Faster than Dan Lifetime Platinum MemberSuper Moderator B3NN3TT's Avatar

The metal gaskets aren't that great. Most people use the Fel-Pro kit from NAPA. They're much thicker and seal easier.

the million dollar question is, is it worth spending another day under my car on the ground to try and change them...hrmm..lol. I have a bonk suspension I need to tend to first I think. I've never had one solid week where nothing was wrong with this car in 4 years.

Not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Imadrid View Post
    my cougar has always ticked since i bought it at 80k but at 162k The tick changed into the sound in the video and at 169k i decided it was time to get the 3L. I'm still waiting for my car to be ready sometime in the next 2 weeks i go. Dom over in Ohio is doing the work for me he told me there was a pretty damaged lifter that was making the sound and that the lobe where the lifter was a little worn. here is the sound i am talking about.

sometimes a loose spark plug can manifest itself into a pretty loud tick

YouTube - engine 2.5 cougar duratec

That's exactly what my car sounded like for the last month. Now it has gotten much worse. I have described it HERE

I was thinking it might be a bad injector, but with as loud as it is and since they told you yours was a lifter. I'm fearing the worse on my car. A bad lifter would not be great news for me..
    2000 Silver Frost V6 Cougar ATX

+ Reply to Thread