2001 Cougar Overheating
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2001 Cougar Overheating

NECO Member

2001 Cougar Overheating

Sup,

Hey guys I am new here, this is my first post so go easy on me, please. I just bought a 2001 Cougar off a guy that lives on my street. He said the head gasket was gone. So i figured I would have a look see, but it appears the head gasket is intact. I only paid $50 for the car, and it only has 88,000 kms on it. His son was caught street racing it. Now, are there common over heating issues with this car I should be aware of?. It is a 2001 2.5l v6. Some metallic blue color. I am going to start working on it on Saturday and was wondering where I should start first

My order of things was going to be Lines, Thermostat, water pump. Are there any common over heat issues I should also look at or check first?

Thanks in advance,

Skape

2. Remove Advertisements
    NewCougar.org
    Advertisements

Re: 2001 Cougar Overheating

$50? That's the deal of the century.

Born 02/13/1999. Silver Frost Duratec MTX Sport -CougarDB-Cardomain-Facebook

Faster than Dan. Lifetime Platinum MemberSuper Moderator B3NN3TT's Avatar

Sounds like French Blue. Does it have blue gauge faces, too?

I would suspect the water pump. I believe if you turn on the heater, and the water pump is broken, the heater will blow cold air no matter what.

The water pump is a touchy subject on the Duratec 25, as it was a common failure on pre-98 Contours and Mystiques due to the plastic impeller breaking too easily. They later (MUCH later) went to a metal impeller that lasted much longer.

My car was getting too hot once, and in my case, it was the thermostat.

Your deductions seem sound. Keep us posted and enjoy the car.

a bad head gasket will cause a car to overheat as well. you cant see from the outside of the engine if the head gasket is good or not. you have to take the engine apart. it is NOT a job for a novice mechanic. you may have to pull the engine to get to the back head. ive never done them in this car. basically a part of the gasket gives way. if it is in the oil part is can burn or leak oil. if it is in the coolant part of the gasket it will allow combustion pressure into the coolant passages, spiking the heating needle.
    3 point OHHHHH in the works......
    My Baby
    the other

SENIOR moderator, sonny! Lifetime Platinum MemberModerator LinkMan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by B3NN3TT View Post
    Sounds like French Blue. Does it have blue gauge faces, too?

I would suspect the water pump. I believe if you turn on the heater, and the water pump is broken, the heater will blow cold air no matter what.

The water pump is a touchy subject on the Duratec 25, as it was a common failure on pre-98 Contours and Mystiques due to the plastic impeller breaking too easily. They later (MUCH later) went to a metal impeller that lasted much longer.

My car was getting too hot once, and in my case, it was the thermostat.

Your deductions seem sound. Keep us posted and enjoy the car.
    All correct, including pump diagnostic with heater hint, except it's not a metal impeller - they switched from the crappy black plastic impeller to the much improved white plastic impeller. Metal impeller is aftermarket.
    Mark
    2001 Laser Red Cougar V6 ATX - "Fun!"
    | CF 2005 Best Stock | CF 2006 Best Paint (tie) / 2nd Cleanest | CF 2007 Cleanest |
    | CF X 2nd Cleanest | CF 2009 Cleanest | CF 2010 Cleanest / 2nd Best Paint / 2nd Interior |
    | CF 2011 Cleanest / 2nd Best Paint | CF 2012 2nd Interior / 2nd Engine Bay |
    1997 Medium Willow Taurus GL V6 ATX - "Daily" | 2008 Dark Ink Blue Fusion SEL V6 ATX - "The Good Car"
    (99 Rio Red Cougar V6 ATX - RIP 28 Jan 2001)

NECO Member

Sup,

I drained the oil, and it was clean of white. I also checked the coolant which is free of oil, so for the moment I am assuming the head gasket is alright. She isn't running white smoke either.

I think I will start with the water pump, it seems easy enough to get at. Thanks for the help thus far, I will keep you posted. She needs some minor body work, but nothing major. Radio was pulled too. I figured for $50 I couldn't pass it up, even with the minor dings and scratches.

Skape

50$, D4MN!!!!
    Thats AMAZING I woulda bought any car for 50 let alone a coug!!!

Quote Originally Posted by J-Man View Post
    never ask a woman or a man about his woman if she is pregnant unless you see a baby coming out from between her legs.
    Quote Originally Posted by wadespencer99 View Post
    Exactly my motto: Dont EVER assume unless you see the head coming out the vag.

3L Roush 'S' Moderator MaverickFlyer's Avatar

I'd start by changing the thermostat.

Welcome to the board.
    3L 99 Rio Red MTX ,
    91 306 Dech Coupe
    , 99 3L Turbo Cougar, 2013 Edge, 05 Eddie Bauer Expedition, 01 Yamaha R6, 08 Escape*Sold*, 96 Contour*Sold*, 99 Black 3L Cougar *Sold*
    02 Ex-World Challenge Cougar Nummelin Motorsport Group
    www.roadawareness.org

NECO Member

Sup,

To answer an earlier statement, I have a full shop. I am an amateur mechanic, but have been rebuilding cars since I was 13. I just installed a lift last summer and I have to tell you it was the best $1000 buck I spent. I Got it off of Kijiji. The motor was blown, so I bought one for $350. Needless to say after putting it all back together, it is the best "tool" in my garage. I am a big car guy. Even better my girlfriend gets right into it as well. It was hard finding coveralls in such a small size, but she can wrench a car every bit as well as I can. So really, she would be the best tool in my garage. Don't take the word "tool" out of context. lol

Skape

It's NECO, we take everything out of context...
    2000 2.5L ATX 1GHz Carputer - Alpine Components - Kenwood Amps - Jaged RSTB - Jrak Toe Arms
    2000 3L MTX@ 125,xxx km Borla exhaust - Short Ram - MSDS - Taurus 3L 208whp, 204ft/lbs

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast