Passenger window will not go up
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Passenger window will not go up

Passenger window will not go up

I have had this problem ever since i've owned my 99 coug. The passenger side window switch will 95% of the time allow the window to go down without a problem, but literally only 1 in 2,000 clicks or more will it go back up. So basically i can put the passenger side window down, but NOT back up. Same results using the drivers side switch controlling the passenger side window. Will go down but not back up. Although, sometimes the drivers side switch won't even work for putting the window down all the time. Does anyone know what the problem could be? I think back when i first noticed the problem i took a passenger switch from another coug and swapped it in only to get the same results. But i'm not positive.

My A/C also does not work and I really need this window to work or i am gonna bake in my car this summer. So I need someone to tell me every component that is involved with putting the passenger side window up and the locations of these parts. Also your opinion to what may be the culprit is appreciated. Links to pictures, and other cougar-specific info may also help. I need this fixed.
    - WTB: front struts, springs/coilovers, 19mm rear sway bar, inner/outer tie rod ends, headers, black or gunmetal gray wheels, roush floormats, and roush pedals
    - For Sale: Stock Throttle Body - IACV - Misc. stock engine parts
    - 1999 Mercury Cougar V6 MTX - Kaminari/Roush/SVT

2. Remove Advertisements
    NewCougar.org
    Advertisements

Sometimes Faster than Dan Lifetime Platinum MemberSuper Moderator B3NN3TT's Avatar

Re: Passenger window will not go up

Find a buddy with a Cougar and try swapping in the switch for the passenger's side from their good working system. The one in the pass. door, not the driver's switch. I know you said the DS switch doesn't usually work either, but those switches are finicky. It's a free test, and worth a shot.

Yeah, I know. Sounds fine and dandy but this is my only car, and if the window does go down and still not back up, I'm screwed. I'll get water in the car, etc. Even if I only let it go down 2 inches. I'd much rather just have a pin readout (continuity) or something on a passenger side switch so I can tell if mine is good or bad.
    - WTB: front struts, springs/coilovers, 19mm rear sway bar, inner/outer tie rod ends, headers, black or gunmetal gray wheels, roush floormats, and roush pedals

No ideas from anyone? Anyone know what pins should have continuity on a good passenger side switch? Anyone care to check for me?

I did take apart my switch and do not see any obvious problems. Everything is clean and appears in good condition with no bad solders/contacts. It appears as though this is what my passenger side switch is reading...which sounds right, but i don't know. I have continuity between the pins listed (they are numbered on the switch).

Switch in off position

Down pressed

Up pressed

Guess nobody can help...?

NECO Member

Quote Originally Posted by ModCougar View Post
    Guess nobody can help...?
    some pin conts in this thread. look different from yours. i did not try to figure
    out difference. maybe model year, maybe diff switch...but maybe will help.
    might want to read whole thread (some more on switches later in thread) and consider relay but not sounding
    like that is the culprit.
    phil

Power Window Relay Fixable!

ps. i just reread your original post. if not switch (i think you eliminated), it is sounding like wiring to me. ac not working suspicious and no relay
    for passenger side. i think we have same model years too...99
    Last edited by cougar97201; 2009-04-09 at 01:55 PM. Reason: addon

Capital Curmudgeon Lifetime Platinum MemberModerator skater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cougar97201 View Post
    ps. i just reread your original post. if not switch (i think you eliminated), it is sounding like wiring to me. ac not working suspicious and no relay
    for passenger side. i think we have same model years too...99
    I'm not sure what you're trying to say here, but it seems like you think there should be a relay for it. There is no stock one-touch-down relay for the passenger window.
    1999 Cougar, Laser Red, 3.0L V6, MTX (a lot more fun)
    2014 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.7L Diesel (Towzilla)
    2012 Honda Accord V6, ATX (daily)

NECO Member

Quote Originally Posted by skater View Post
    I'm not sure what you're trying to say here, but it seems like you think there should be a relay for it. There is no stock one-touch-down relay for the passenger window.
    i WAS trying to say there was no stock relay for the passenger side (ie. not an issue).
    just sloppy english. sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by ModCougar View Post
    No ideas from anyone? Anyone know what pins should have continuity on a good passenger side switch? Anyone care to check for me?

I did take apart my switch and do not see any obvious problems. Everything is clean and appears in good condition with no bad solders/contacts. It appears as though this is what my passenger side switch is reading...which sounds right, but i don't know. I have continuity between the pins listed (they are numbered on the switch).

Switch in off position

Down pressed

Up pressed
    I'm having a similar problem with my driver side window switch. I'll press the down side of the switch, and the window won't always go down or it requires multiple clicks. Once I have the window down it tends to not go back up when I click the up side of the switch.

I'd like to take apart my switch, and check it out. However, I haven't figured out exactly how to get it apart. I disconnected the switch from the wiring harness, but I haven't been able to take the switch apart. From reading your post it seems like you were successful in taking it apart. How'd ya do it?

Edit: When I'm trying to get the window to go back up, I can hear a clicking sound. It's like the motor is working, but it's pushing the window down instead of up.

Sunshine always owns me Lifetime Platinum Member cougirllp's Avatar

My boyfriend was having this same problem with his Mercury Mystique (pretty similar to the Cougar). There was a wire that ran from the switch to I don't know where that was in bad shape. He got to it by taking off the plastic part by the wipers. He replaced the wire. Window works fine now.
    Matt and I are proud parents of a penguin named Randy.
    Aww!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast