HELP! How to open "stuck" door
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: HELP! How to open "stuck" door

NECO Member

HELP! How to open "stuck" door

Hello all,

The driver's side door on our 2000 is "stuck" closed and wont open by key, keyless, or inside locks. The only thread I found mentioned the same issue which was probably a bad actuator but didn't get into details of how to actually open the damn door. With a bad actuator is it possible to pop it open with a slim-jim, or do I have to go thru the inside. For that matter can I even get the door panel off with it closed? Dealer work isn't an option right now since money is tight. We're down to one vehicle for a busy family, so I really need to get the door open even if I cant lock it.

On a side note, this was my first wife's car (which she loved, and it fit her to a T). She passed away 2 yrs ago so I can't sell "Miss *****" cuz my kids would KILL me. My new wife drives it when she has to but does so by crawling over the passenger seat (I'm big guy, - not an option for me). I feel this is extremely unsafe should she get in an accident and don't think I could handle losing wife #2 so it's pretty important. Oh yeah, I miss driving it too!

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    NewCougar.org
    Advertisements

Re: HELP! How to open "stuck" door

i dont believe you can get the door pannel off with the door closed because of the two torx screws on the side. With those you wont be able to get close to the door handle and lock assembly. As far as taking it off, I dont know how to help you, unless you can get to the lock on the inside of the door and unbolt it.

3 wheelin Lifetime Platinum MemberSuper Moderator jaged's Avatar

you cant get to any of that stuff without taking the panel off. i think you can get it open with a slim jim, but ive never had to do it, i break into my car the other way.

if the actuator is bad it should still open with the key i would think

sponsored by rambo graphix

'14 Fusion SE Ecoboost daily driven kid hauler
    '01 2.5 mtx (parted 3-28-14, itll be back soon)
    '99 3L AutoX
    '08 Mustang Bullitt #5389 4/12/13 sold to B3NN3TT

That link is NSFW Lifetime Platinum MemberModerator bensenvill's Avatar

first off, you need to better define "won't open"

Is it not unlocking?
    can you pull the inside handle?
    can you pull the outside handle?

and the others are right, there is no way to pull the door panel with the door closed, the side screws are not accessable and the dash itself is in the way from pulling it even if you got that far.

I'll take a look at the locking assembly tonight to get you some better feedback, but I need to know the behavior of the handles and locks.
    Quote Originally Posted by JScullin View Post
    I just started hemorrhaging blood from the sheer amount of rage that suddenly built up inside me from that comment.
    1994 Lincoln Towncar w/ 112576 CRUSHED
    1996 Contour SE MTX loaded w/ 137179 CRUSHED
    1999 Silver Frost MTX original owner w/ 70500 ALMOST RUNNING
    2009 Honda Fit manual w/ floormats

NECO Member

Quote Originally Posted by bensenvill View Post
    first off, you need to better define "won't open"

Is it not unlocking?

and the others are right, there is no way to pull the door panel with the door closed, the side screws are not accessable and the dash itself is in the way from pulling it even if you got that far.

I'll take a look at the locking assembly tonight to get you some better feedback, but I need to know the behavior of the handles and locks.
    Thanks all. I didn't see how it would be possible to get the panel off with the door closed, but there are some pretty clever mechanics out there so thought I'd at least ask.

Bensenvill, none of the handles, inside lock buttons, keyless, or key will open the door. Now that I think about it, I can hear the actuator switch when I push the keyless entry, - so it's probably some linkage mechanism that has come loose near the lock itself. Hopefully there is still something for a slim-jim to get a hold on.

Anyone know where I can find pics/diagrams etc... of the lock mechanism before I get a locksmith to come out?

I suppose the last option would be to cut thru the door panel, but it makes me sick to think about trashing the car like that.

is there the same amount of tension on the handles when you pull them as there is on the passenger door?

like how you lift the passenger handle and after a little leverage it is harder to pull then clicks and opens, does the driver door have tension in it or is it just floppin around when you pull it, it could just be that a rod fell out of its little plastic holder, they are in there pretty good so idk how it would fall out but, anythings possible i guess
    2000 Mercury Cougar 2.5L Duratec V6 ATX
    SRI-Buddy club Front-Drift rear-Tinted tails-Vtech tailcovers-Headlightcovers-Roush spoiler-Shaved emblems-X1 Fenders

Quote Originally Posted by Miss***** View Post
    Anyone know where I can find pics/diagrams etc... of the lock mechanism before I get a locksmith to come out?

I suppose the last option would be to cut thru the door panel, but it makes me sick to think about trashing the car like that.
    I can take some detailed pics for you tonight, I was looking at it last night and I don't think your going to like the answer.

I think its highly unlikely you are going to be able to slim jim the car. I think cutting the door panel off is going to be your best bet. you might want to ask your local chapter if anyone has a spare door insert or give some of the junkyards a call.
    I just started hemorrhaging blood from the sheer amount of rage that suddenly built up inside me from that comment.

Could you perhaps get into it by cutting out the door handle? I would think that would be easier to fix than the door panel.
    2002 Mercury Cougar, 2.5L ATX Laser Red. Purchased in May of 2008. Just a stock slushbox, no mods yet. Upcoming mod: new body paint (seriously, I'm really going to do this...really!)

Pirate, ouch, no, thats some bad advice. I don't know why you would think hacking up your door handle would be easier to repair than the cloth insert of the door panel.

Quote Originally Posted by bensenvill View Post
    Is it not unlocking?
    ms*****, ok, so I work tech support and the thing I hate the most is when you ask someone a question and their response is "it dont work", what doesn't work, "none of it".... please, if you want assistance, give me something analytical to work with. "It don't work" can mean a million things..... what does the handle feel like when you pull it, does it not pull, does it feel like a limp noodle?

NECO Member

I have a driver's side door panel I can sell you if you have to cut it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast