my car squeaks while im driving helppp
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: my car squeaks while im driving helppp

NECO Member

my car squeaks while im driving helppp

While i am driving anywhere my car now squeaks and it is annoying the helll out of me. i know its not the brakes because they are brand new and it happens on the high way or any road that i am driving on. what could be the problem and is it expensive to fix. also will having better tires like good year or michelin help me from feeling a lot of bumps on the road

2. Remove Advertisements
    NewCougar.org
    Advertisements

Capital Curmudgeon Lifetime Platinum MemberModerator skater's Avatar

Re: my car squeaks while im driving helppp

We're going to need more information. Does it squeak when you hit bumps? Is it a constant noise that changes with speed? Is it a constant noise that changes with engine speed? Etc.

For the tire question, no not really. The Cougar is set up to be a sporty car with decent road feel. The downside of that is that you also feel bumps in the road.
    1999 Cougar, Laser Red, 3.0L V6, MTX (a lot more fun)
    2014 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.7L Diesel (Towzilla)
    2012 Honda Accord V6, ATX (daily)

Sometimes Faster than Dan Lifetime Platinum MemberSuper Moderator B3NN3TT's Avatar

Yeah - does it only do it when you're moving? Is it quiet when sitting still?

How new is "New"?

I STILL say it's your brakes.

he could be talking about the squeaking from the hatch area that some people have, i have the same problem as well. Ive heard that a RSTB eliminates that squeaking. But again we'll never know if you dont tell us where the squeaking is comming from.

hijack

Mine squeeks from the front pass side, constantly, the rotors and breaks look fine, plenty of break pad, no grooves on the rotor. and its only the pass side its doing it. Its really noticeable at low speeds.

Maybe hes having the same issue.

/hijack

Quote Originally Posted by Devin View Post
    So some guys call you a queer and you throw water on them.... yeaaa you showed them that your not a queer.

NECO Member

lots of cougars squeeek. a regular offender is the bushings in the rear suspension.

sometimes they creeek creeek.

goes great with the moosing sound from the IACV :P

tell you what: get your car up on ramps - first the rear tires, then maybe the front. get under it and have some burly person lift and drop the car for you and LISTEN for it. try wiggling around EVERYTHING, to try and pin point the sounds.

good luck.
    Black 2000 Mercury Cougar V6 MTX Sport Package. Bought new in the year 2000.

Sometimes Faster than Dan Lifetime Platinum MemberSuper Moderator B3NN3TT's Avatar

The brake pads get glazed and squeak. You can't see it without taking the pads out completely, and even then it isn't obvious.

If you take out your brake pads and file the face down with a flat file, the squeak will stop for a while. It won't go away entirely until you put new pads in there.

Some say that he is an SVT project that was actually done properly, Mitchagain

"squeeking" can be a wide variety of different things, in my experience I have found that its because of brake pads that weren't installed properly (not using anti squeal grease), a missing anti rattle clip on the caliper also can be a factor here.

if you are hearing a squeak when hitting bumps your struts/strut mounts maybe to blame, but thats more of a metal on metal knocking noise, we need more description to be able to figure out your issue

and as far as tires go, yes different types of tires can improve ride quality, if you want the smoothest, softest ride availible you are going to want to find a touring tire, they generally are fairly expensive though compared to performance tires, but usually have a longer warrenty rating because they aren't quite as grippy.

however, you feeling the bumps in the road and having squeaking problems leads me to believe that you might have suspension issues, Struts and mounts, sway bar links, tie rod ends might be in your near future, a worn out set of struts would make your ride quality very poor, and cause a lot of bouncing/poor control of the car, especially at higher speeds.

So again, more description is needed in something like this, you cant say "my car is squeaking" and have us go "OHHH! thats your so and so" just doesn't work that way.

so what does the car do? is it when you hit bumps? is it constant? does it get faster as you speed up? does it go away when you go faster? is it only when you brake?

details details!!!
    98.5 T-red on MNB 3L SVT Contour - Jerk Mobile III

NECO Member

Hi. sorry io havent been on in awhile. yes it it coming from the rear of my car only while its in motion. Stayin still the car does not squeak. it sounds like its coming from the hatch

could be the hatch, i know mine never squeaked then i put a system in and every so often it tends to make some noise but depends how long its been since ive turned it up to rattle my fillings in my teeth does my hatch squeak again.
    01 Dark Shadow Grey Ford Cougar w/ Flowmaster, Taillight Covers, Smoked Sidemarkers, Koni Sport Kit, Jaged RSTB - Sold! But to family so I will see it every now and then.
    '04 OW Mach 1 replaced with '03 Redfire Cobra

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast