My Cougar Won't Start ;-(
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My Cougar Won't Start ;-(

My Cougar Won't Start ;-(

Well this officially sucks. About 3 days ago I went out to start my cougar and it wouldn't start. So I flipped on my volt gauge and found my voltage was at about 10.5V instead of 12.5. So I assumed I was dumb and left something on and used a 6 amp battery charger for like a half hour until the battery was filled back up and it started just fine.

The next day I went out to see if the battery was drained again and it was and the voltage was low again. I used the charger again and it said the battery was empty and started charging. It got done charging in like minutes though and said it was done and it's supposed to take an hour or more. So I took off the charger and strangely enough, it was at 12.5V now. I tried to start it and the voltage dipped under 8V and it wouldn't start. The voltage slowly rose back in like 5 seconds up so I tried again and this time the voltage only rose back up to like 11V. And soon it was stuck at 10 again. So I figured, duh, battery. So I tried starting my car with a jump from my parent's pontiac today. It still wouldn't start. So now I'm pretty concerned.

Basically when it won't start, it makes a clicking noise and won't fire a cyllinder at all. The gauges start to move as I'm starting it. And then when I stop turning the key, all the gauges spin all the way up then all the way back down really slowly over like 7 seconds I've never seen anything quite like that but hopefully someone here has. Today I went out and my battery was registering under 8 volts and my power locks wouldn't even work. Like I said, we tried jumping it and my voltage read 14 before I tried starting but it still just clicked. Oh and it happens to be about 0 degrees out so it's kinda cold if that has anything to do with it. And no, it's not out of gas.

I'm thinking it's probably not the battery cuz it's an aftermarket Duralast Professional series that was added by the previous owner and those are really good plus I had it tested a month or two ago and of course it came up as "replace" but I read the stats and it really wasn't that bad. 700 amps out of 960 and full voltage seems fine to me.

So far I did tighten the battery terminals cuz I've seen that problem before and that didn't help. I didn't put any Heet or other isopropyl alcohol product in my fuel and hadn't started my car for days so it's possible the fuel lines froze but I did add some Heet yesterday and it obviously didn't help. If it was the fuel lines then why is the electrical all whacked? And then why did it start after charging the first day I had the problem if it was the fuel lines. The same thing could be said with the ignition thingy too cuz it that was broke, it wouldn't start after charging. And if it's my battery, why didn't my car start when jumped? Or is it something else that's wrong? this is driving me nuts

The sticker in my avatar is in fact on your cougar hatchback door

2. Remove Advertisements
    NewCougar.org
    Advertisements

NECO Member

Re: My Cougar Won't Start ;-(

I've had the clicking when I had battery/starter problems as well as alternator. I don't know what to tell you.
    Quote Originally Posted by ND4SPD View Post
    I just had my cats front paws de-clawed... so like, she still has RWD traction...

So its begun..... Lifetime Platinum MemberAdministrator LostRacer's Avatar

Sounds like the battery and maybe a drain somewhere.
    The One&Only!
    C.A.R.B # FU50
    XBL=LostRacer2
    PSN=LostRacer
    I hate to see you leave but I love to watch you walk away." So true...
    Quote Originally Posted by lilpsycho213 View Post
    Person next to me gave me the funniest looking why I was dry humping in my seat haha.

Cougar Mahjong

just out of curiousity, how much is the starter if it's bad?
    Maybe I should buy this beauty for $10 It's possible that the starter is bad and it just happened to work after charging. I didn't even measure for a short cuz it'd have to be like a 100 amp short that didn't blow a fuse somewhere to not start when jumped by another car and nothing in my car is capable of that and if it was a "leak" somewhere like a 1 amp something left on kinda thing, I wouldn't have such strange electrical symptoms, right? this sucks

Capital Curmudgeon Lifetime Platinum MemberModerator skater's Avatar

Tip: a starter that's wearing out can draw a lot more current.

How old is the battery? You said it tested and showed up as "replace" but you didn't change it.
    1999 Cougar, Laser Red, 3.0L V6, MTX (a lot more fun)
    2006 Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.0L Diesel (tow monster)
    2012 Honda Accord V6, ATX (daily)

HTRD LKN Lifetime Platinum Member BBOX's Avatar

Here's my anecdotal evidence in support of it being the battery.

Last year, around the time it got SUPER cold, the battery on my Pontiac started flaking out. As far as I know, the battery was OEM (it certainly LOOKED that way) and was basically just fatigued. It would take a ton of cranking to get the car to finally start.

I battled the battery off and on, being totally at the mercy of the elements, for a couple weeks, before finally resigning to just replacing the damn thing. Never had a problem with cold-weather starts again after I replaced the battery.
    2010 Lincoln MKS Ecoboost - Cinnamon Clearcoat Metallic
    1999 Mercury Cougar - Melina Blue

I wanna fly, wanna ride with you
    Is this the best that you can do?

well I should just get a new battery and put it in but I hope they'd take returns if that didn't fix it A new possibility occured to me. Let's assume the battery charger is just confused for some reason and isn't doing at all what it says it is and is terminating early cuz of its own random problem. So the ignition took up a bunch of electricity cuz I know that takes A LOT to first start the car and I've tried to start it like 30 times now. Well now it won't even click so it's pretty low apparently. So three things occur to me. My battery is in fact which is hard to call cuz I have no idea how old it is. Could be from 2000, could be from 07. Or the spark plugs or the system powering them is broke and that's the problem. Or that system temporarily wasn't working and the engine is now flooded because the fuel injectors worked and it's too cold for the gasoline to dissipate or something. Or the air intake is covered with ice and it's sealed tight. I dunno where the air actually comes in to check though. Are any of those possible?

Faster than Dan. Lifetime Platinum MemberModerator B3NN3TT's Avatar

Gauges sweeping = battery.

In my case.

you know, I'm strongly considering going to get a new battery but I'm still caught up on one little problem. Why wouldn't my car start when it was connected to our Pontiac's battery and alternator? It's red to red, black to black for jumpers, right?

btw I can't replace my battery when it's snowing this hard and lucky me, I can't push it up the driveway and into the garage to do it because it won't shift into neutral even with the key on the correct setting and the brake pressed cuz apparently it's something electrical that controls that

There should be a mechanical shift lock that you can push under the shift panel. I am almost certian all autos have this. My wifes old blazer did forsure I know.
    Current: 2005 Audi S4, 2004 Volvo S40 T5
    Former: 2004 Ex XLT, 99 Cougar, 99 ZX2, 98 Ex Sport, 96 A4, 90 Sunbird Convert, 90 Jetta Diesel, 82 Rabbit Diesel, 69 Triumph Spitfire, 1989 325i Convertible

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast