New Cougar Forum banner

Best way to get oxygen sensor off '99 2.5?

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  whitecat99 
#1 ·
Hello,

Three are easy to get to, but the Bank 1 upstream oxygen (O2) sensor looks like a b**** to get to. Chilton's doesn't give a suggestion, so I was hoping someone here would.

#3 ·
I used a short crescent(adjustable) wrench to get it out. It takes a little bit of muscle to break it free if it has never been off of the car though, just a heads up for you.

The reason I used an adjustable wrench was because all the wrenches that were the exact size were way too long to fit in that cramped area!

#6 ·
When I changed mine it looked nearly impossible to get to it from underneath without removing a lot of stuff. I followed the factory manual instructions and removed the coil pack along with something else beside it (can't remember what). I was able to break the O2 sensor loose with a long wrench then screwed it out the rest of the way by hand. If it is very corroded, you may need a short wrench also to get it out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.