New Cougar Forum banner

Need Help with my 3L... Anyone willing to come check it out?

2K views 21 replies 6 participants last post by  h-town-cougar 
#1 · (Edited)
Well... My oil light came on today.. Car shut off on me.. now the engine is knocking... Possibly spun a rod bearing...

But the engine had full oil level...? What could have happened?

Which of you 3L guys would come try & help me out....?

I'll buy beer.. haha

I'm the newbie to the NW in Lake Bluff,IL. Right next door to Shoreacres Country Club

#4 ·
It has pressure... unless it failed for just a minute... I drove 0.8 miles from my house to another road.. Went to turn and the car shut off with the oil light.. I had just checked the oil before I left the house because I had not driven the car in a week and last week it was running a little weird.

But then when I checked it after the engine shut off the dip stick said the oil level was below the Low line... 3 or 4 times.. even after waiting & making a run to the store.

I'm thinking the oil pick-up line and/or filter had a clog somewhere & deprived the oil flow and now spun a bearing... Also seems to be a problem with Duratec engines... What do you think?

Oh.. and I ended up driving the car back home because the other guy said he would not tow me back & I wasn't going to call a Tow Truck... Knocking was softer by the time I made it home

#6 ·
On the 2.5Ls, when taking right corners agressively you can run the sump dry and end up with a temporary loss of oil pressure. The lower your oil level, the more likely this is to occur. Not sure if it affects the 3Ls (it has to do with the oil returns from the heads).

Regardless of how exactly it happened, that sounds like a spun bearing to me.

#7 ·
Hey, was that Contour from MA? Im pretty sure I saw that car in person once and I remember seeing it in Craigslist. BTW I think that in 01 they fixed the problem with the oil return passage in the heads. Off topic question, what is the name and size of your rims? Ive been looking for something of that style.

#8 ·
oh god hearing that thing run made my hair on the back of my neck stand up! sounds like you spun a bearing... :(

I've managed to blow a 2.5L and a 3L... both shot a rod right through the side of the block, both were in good health, both had good clean oil... That's why I think I'm getting out of Cougars again... sucks...

if you tear it down, let us know what you find!

#10 ·
Sonza68- That is true but I was not making a right turn and didnt make one on that trip.. both lefts.. oil level was fine..

fedeuruagu- Yes, I went to Boston in November and bought it... Forgot what city the guy is actually from.. Not far from Providence, RI
Also They are Enki something 5... Lol.. 17's... My brother has a set of 18's in them but they are not made in 18s anymore..

Okay... Seems like all of us agree spun bearing.. Guess I'll drain the oil again tomorrow & take the oil pan off.. Hopefully I have all day Saturday off work..

#11 ·
You can't just replace the bearings...the crank will be too damaged. Time for a new shortblock.

And I have never seen that mesh cut-out on the IMRC cover...I've never seen anyone do that. Interesting.

#12 ·
The mesh matches the grill and the front bumper as well... LOL...

and Dam.. Must be different than Hondas. haha, I've heard you can just change the bearings though.. Guess it depends on the crank. If I have to get another shortblock I may be getting rid of the Tour... I want an SUV or truck anyway

#13 ·
Jorgen (I think it was him) tried it...if it's overlapped a bearing, it's damaged the crank. You could pull the crank, have it turned, and order oversize bearings...that would be ok as well. Pretty much means an engine pull though.

Is it a hybrid or split-port match? That Contour is gorgeous. It's well worth an engine, from what I can see.

#14 · (Edited)
Thanks Wade... but the problem that I have with pulling the engine is I'm 1,000 miles away from "home"... and do not know anyone in this area. I moved without ever even visiting here before. Didn't bring all of my tools, etc... I do like the car... but I also want another one.. Maybe after the summer I can afford one.. and keep the Tour as well

and Wade, the motor is a split-port matched

#15 ·
Yeah, when I blew my 2.5L I tried replacing the bearing that spun and it lasted for a day. The next day I was pulling it out and looking for a 3L lol. That Contour is REALLY nice, dont get rid of it, just swap the engine. I wonder if the previews owner did the mesh thing after the dyno day. Right at the dyno the IMRC decided not to open... lol.

#16 ·
yes he did... said it was to "help TRY & keep it a little cooler"... but now I've been getting codes for IMRC stuck open.. even put a new one on... but now I know the connecting link is disconnected too.

#17 ·
Another thing brought up on CEG is a valve-train problem.... and the car was driven maybe 5k miles before without a proper tune from the previous owner... So I'm going to try & do a compression test & also take the oil pan off afterwards...

#18 ·
Well the mechanic walked over and heard it... said it sounded more like a valve... It is quieter today... The noise also goes away when rpms are 3500 or above.. Oil pressure is good..

Compression in 5 of the cylinders were around 180-185

The other showed 164 the first time.. Checked it two more times & only showed 155 each time

#19 ·
WELL.... I found the culprit! One of the secondary plates were sitting in the lim crooked with NO screws... So both screws were sucked into the engine. Most likely a damaged valve and/or valve spring!

Which if one of those broke, it could be blocking an oil drain and that's why the dipstick keep reading low oil after being cranked...

#21 ·
I don't know... Previous owner ran without them on & put them back on? Without lock-tight on the screws... Or I guess a Ford mix-up.. Not sure

I took the valve covers off... Found no piece... No broke Valve springs...

But did see some scuffs on one of the Cam shaft

#22 ·
Anyone around this area have an engine lift and want to make some side cash? I need to get my engine out & have the heads checked at a machine shop...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.