Carter / Federal Mogul Fuel Pump Install How-To (Dropping the Tank)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Carter / Federal Mogul Fuel Pump Install How-To (Dropping the Tank)

I hope this helps anyone who is wanting to change the fuel pump themselves. I typed it up a while ago, but forgot to post it on the Forums. I will also submit it to TeamNECO. If anyone has any questions, or concerns, then PM or e-Mail me!!! rylee44@tah-usa.net
    I would Post this in the forum, but it's pretty long!
    Thank you everyone for helping me, and I hope this will help you...

It is typed up in Word XP... .doc format... I'll attach another post with it in HTML Format!
    1998 Contour SVT (SOLD)
    2000 Mercury Cougar SVT (SOLD)
    2001 BMW 325Ci
    2001 Yamaha R6

2. Remove Advertisements
    NewCougar.org
    Advertisements

That was easy, it had a save as web page button in Word [img]images/smilies/shocked.gif[/img] Although I cannot upload an HTML document to the forums :P
    But it'll be on TeamNECO soon...
    1998 Contour SVT (SOLD)
    2001 BMW 325Ci
    2001 Yamaha R6

NECO Member

You are the man!! It's a little too late for me b/c i've already done mine. Great how-to though!! I didn't drop my tank btw. I used an air-nibbler and cut out the access panal and worked from there. I also forgot to relieve the pressure so when i pulled the fuel line, i got a nice wake up call. Burned my eyes, but i'll live. I replaced mine with the ford fuel pump and hopefully will be able to get another 50,000 miles out of it before i do it again or trade it in. The worst part i'd have to say was getting the damn fuel line off. Trying to put the retaining ring back on after the new fuel pump was installed was quite a challenge too. It took me 2 days to do this. In the time i changed my fuel pump some people on here could have put in a supercharger or did the 3.0 swap.
    Next car i buy will be a non-riced import. Ford never again.

Ohh i was able to do this twice in 1 day... First time i got it in the, back up in the car... didnt work... I didn't put the little piece of rubber around the "nipple" (hahah) on the new pump, so it'd start to build pressure, then shoot the fuel back into the tank... So, yes, I had to drop the tank again... (PS: I had to do this all by myself, both times with 1/2 tank of gas!)

I finally went away from Ford fuel pumps because I first got the car, (Pump #1)it started messing up with like 15000 miles on it [img]images/smilies/shocked.gif[/img] .. Got a new pump under warranty (Pump #2). Moved the car to Oklahoma and then it started messing up AGAIN at 37,000 miles!!! They still replaced it under warranty (Pump #3) ... Then about 3 weeks ago, at 46,000 miles it started messing up again!!! So i put in a Carter pump (Pump #4)...

So the fuel problem is a B!TC# for me... Ohh well, the carter pump has a lifetime warranty
    1998 Contour SVT (SOLD)
    2001 BMW 325Ci
    2001 Yamaha R6

NECO Member

I'm really hoping my new pump will last. The old was was so filthy. I'll be sure to use good gas and not use any fuel additives. I'm thinking the fuel additives in combination with the dirt is what caused my old pump to fail.

I'm impressed that you had noone to help you drop the tank and change the pump. I had my dad help me and i really needed the help! I was talking to a girl who works with me and her fuel pump on her 2000 cougar is going out. She asked me if i could change hers out some other weekend and she'd pay me pretty good money. Less than dealership cost of course. After this weekend, looks like she is going to have to bring it in b/c i don't ever want to touch a fuel pump again. But i definitely give you props man for doing it yourself. Impressive!

To bad she doesnt live around here, i'd do it for her... Just cause I need $, and I've got the whole dropping thing down... You should have seen it, im sure it was funny as $hit... me maneuvering the tank, fuel neck, and jacking it up and down with my feet [img]images/smilies/rolf.gif[/img]
    1998 Contour SVT (SOLD)
    2001 BMW 325Ci
    2001 Yamaha R6

NECO Member

That's pretty funny!! You really should have called someone to help you though.

I finally got my car running tonight. Been waiting on a new fuel line that runs from the fuel filter to the pump. I cracked the clip that hooked onto my fuel pump trying to get it off. The new one goes on and comes off just like you said.....by holding the two clips in. I don't know why the old one was such a challenge. Anyway, car runs great again so i appreciate all of your help. I know that how-to will come to use for someone who plans on saving some $$ and doing it themselves. Thanks again!

bump
    1998 Contour SVT (SOLD)
    2001 BMW 325Ci
    2001 Yamaha R6

+ Reply to Thread