Alternator Replacement 2.5L DIY
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Alternator Replacement 2.5L DIY

NECO Member

Alternator Replacement 2.5L DIY

I decided to perform a write-up on the alternator replacement having performed one just today.

Despite the years that this car was out there doesn't seem to be much information when it comes to changing the alternator or else I can't search properly. For this reason I decided to do a DIY to make the alternator replacement as quick and easy as possible. With my car there was no need to remove the Y pipe, muffler, bar end link, drive shaft, etc.

Car used: 1999 Mercury Cougar 2.5L V6 - Might be similar procedure for other years.

Tools required:

Small 6"-9" Ratchet
    Small 6"-9" 10mm wrench (preferably with ratchet end)
    Small 6"-9" 13mm wrench (preferably with ratchet end)
    Jack stands (optional - for safety)
    10mm,13mm,8mm,15mm socket sets
    Robertson (+) Screwdriver

Procedure:

1) Make sure wheels are straight, hand break on and proceed to loosen the lug nuts on the passenger front wheel.

2) Jack up car as high as possible and place jack stands in secure areas. Remember you are going to be under the car and don't want to risk it falling on you. You only need to raise the front passenger side of car.

3) Remove passenger front wheel, remove all the splash guards. There are 3 pieces to the splash guards. Most use a 10mm socket while there are grommets in some areas that require prying out. To remove the main splash guard you are required to remove the mud flag (if equipped) using the screwdriver.

4) Before we remove the belt and disconnect the battery I think its more important first to see if you can actually succeed in getting the alternator bolts out first therefore we start with the toughest bolt, the bottom bolt.

Using the small 6" 13mm ratchet or 13mm wrench try to locate the bottom bolt, its opposite of where the thread length is sticking out. If you look at your new alternator we are talking about the lower bolt, use it as a guide. It might be a pain at first to get the socket onto the bolt due to the limited amount of space. Keep trying and don't give up. It helps if you have a small wrench with ratchet action on the opposite end. Once you get it on the bolt, make sure its flush and give it a good tug, it shouldn't be too difficult to break apart (at least mine wasn't). Once its apart, keep rotating (remember orientation from opposite side) bit-by-bit until you can grab the bolt with your hand. This part can take as much as 15 minute alone to do the lack of moving space.

5) Now its time to get the bolts off the L bracket. Here we are only going remove the bolt that is bolted onto the bracket and engine block, we will leave the other bolt in so we can remove it together with the alternator. Make sure car is secure and go under and try to find the alternator. It will be near the Y-pipe and control arm. Get a good light and locate the L bracket it shouldn't be too hard to locate. Now position yourself in a way so you can get your arm in there to unscrew the bolt. Luckily to your left should be a big opening so you can see your hand and the bolt you want to get it. Now you can use your 10mm small wrench or 10mm socket on your small ratchet to get this out. Put the tool in and try to align it with the bolt and tug away, once again it shouldn't be too hard to un-tighten. Whats annoying here is that there isn't much room for movement either so each turn of the ratchet might only be a couple degrees so again your hand is going to be up there for a good 10-20 minutes or so. Once that bolt it out, leave the other one in and get up.

6) Finally the last top bolt. I found this one to be one of the easiest to get out despite what I read on this forum. Look at the rear of your engine near your power steering fluid reservoir. You can see your alternator from here. To make this easier there are some cables and an big black plastic box tube in the way. Move aside this one cable by un-prying it where its mounted and move aside the big black box tube with your 8mm socket set. What you are trying to do is create space so you can get your ratchet/wrench and have room to unbolt the top bolt. Now you should see the bolt clearly and once again put in your ratchet/wrench and with a good tug you should break it apart and once again have fun removing this last bolt. After this the alternator isn't holding onto anything.

7) Remove the negative battery terminal cable.

8) Remove the belt. Remember to use a 3/8" breaker bar or belt tool to loosen the tension, by moving clockwise. DON'T UNSCREW THAT T40 BOLT IN THE CENTRE OF THE TENSIONER.

9) Remove the nut on the tie-rod end balljoint and move tie-rod to the side. Its a 15mm socket and to remove from the hub, use a proper balljoint tool or whack it with a hammer.

10) Try to get the alternator out of its mounting bracket, I used a pry bar here to get it lose. Then position it in a way so you can get it out while making sure not to pull and break the connections. If you pull the alternator out the right way there should be enough slack in the wires to have the alternator out near the brake disc where you can easily disconnect the 3 connections. The 2 terminal connections are simple. To get the red positive disconnection, lift the rubber cover and use a 8/10mm(i forgot which) socket to separate the nut from the alternator .

11) Once the old alternator is out, clean the connections if dirty and transfer the L shaped bracket onto the new alternator BUT DON'T TIGHTEN FULLY.

Now installation is nearly identical to removal except when you put in the alternator align the bottom bolt and stick something in there so you can align the top bolt and bolt it in. Then afterwards go under the car again and put back that 10mm bolt on the bracket, I said not to tighten the bracket fully because the bracket moves in a circular fashion and you can't get the bracket to the exact spot as before.

12) Enjoy and good luck.

Supplementary guides:

Alternator removal HELP!
    How to replace alternator?
    change alternator and belt.....

2. Remove Advertisements
    NewCougar.org
    Advertisements

Re: Alternator Replacement 2.5L DIY

You may want to mention that, when putting the alternator back it, if it doesn't seem to fit, you need to using a hammer and something long to knock back the sleeves in the alternator mounts until it fits. They will be pulled back up against the alternator when you tighten the bolts. I'm guessing they are just used to align the alternator properly.

I love lamp Lifetime Platinum MemberModerator ice992's Avatar

how to exsists here

and the link to it is found in New How-To link compilation
    -Dan

NECO's How-To PDF Compilation!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by JScullin View Post
    @ NorCalCoug
    Also, you hold the phone very dainty. As a lady man would his gentleman lover whilst engaged in a passionate kiss.

5. Remove Advertisements
    NewCougar.org
    Advertisements

NECO Member

got my alternator out tonight, going to get it re-built. very easy to take out (30 minutes), i have an '02 and i think the procedure is a little different, i'll post pics after i reinstall next week.

Quote Originally Posted by spr_cougar View Post
    got my alternator out tonight, going to get it re-built. very easy to take out (30 minutes), i have an '02 and i think the procedure is a little different, i'll post pics after i reinstall next week.
    Yessir, the 02 is actually intelligently designed.

I almost fell out of my chair at the "30 minutes" until I read that you have an 02

NECO Member

awesome, i had brought it to the dealer, they told me they need an hour to diagnose. then if it was the alternator, 3hours labour! i guess they thought it was the same as a '99. They charge $105 an hour so i figure i'm saving $600 by doing it on my own and getting my alternator rebuilt.

thinking of doing "the big 3" while my car is sitting there too. i had already done the loop back in the sensing wire for the dimming lights but it didn't do much, maybe thats just a '99 fix

NECO Member

here is the easy to swap view in my '02...

remove the 2 bottom bolts and a top one you can't see but you can easily reach.

'02 guys, this is definitely an easy DIY and if you have the time, a couple days without your car, you can get your alt rebuilt for a fraction of the price.

oops, pic is sideways

I feel like a complete dumbas$ right now... if i would have looked and searched more on here and asked I would have most likely been able to replace my alternator and saved myself 140!

Hey

Could you switch out the alt bracket of a 99 with a newer easier design??
    " When the time comes for the Planet to die, you
    will understand that you know absolutely nothing. "

If I remember right, Yes. as was written above Ford decided Satan wasn't a good engineer and fired him when the time came to design the C2. Consequently, the 01-02 bracket actually makes sense.

you'll need to use an 01+ alternator with the new bracket, and adapt the wiring slightly to do so using an 01+ connector spliced into the car's harness.. this is by memory, though.

I thought about doing it but after having done a replacement, I felt it would be too much of a hassle to run after all the parts and do the swap compared to the benefits gained. Personally, I felt that changing the alt on the early one's not that big a job once you figure out what tools to use and which way you prefer best.

you may find another Alternator diagnosis & replacement of use. it was the thread I started when I did mine a few weeks ago. there were a lot of helpful replies from the fellas.

2002 alternator on older engines? and Upgrade to 01-02 alternator? are handy too; they contain details about performing the conversion.

best of luck to you, and to anyone with a dead alternator reading this thread in the future.
    NECO's Leading Québécois or your money back.
    '00 2.5 ATX: ''Ella'' http://bit.ly/1VfpWlX
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeyisamadman View Post
    this rivalry is getting to the point where one day, to end it, my hooptie's going to get walked by a 3L Cougar with carbon fiber add-ons.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast