Alternator Replacement 2.5L DIY
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Alternator Replacement 2.5L DIY

Hey
    Great info, now one more question. I changed out the broken alt with a new one. Took it for a drive and car died out. I'm thinking battery has a dead cell. So with that being said will a battery with a bad cell ruin a brand new alt

2. Remove Advertisements
    NewCougar.org
    Advertisements

Hey

Re: Alternator Replacement 2.5L DIY

Quote Originally Posted by Hey View Post
    Great info, now one more question. I changed out the broken alt with a new one. Took it for a drive and car died out. I'm thinking battery has a dead cell. So with that being said will a battery with a bad cell ruin a brand new alt
    OK so I never got the answer to the last question, ill just wait on that. But heres another ? At what voltage should the car be at when idling, driving? Changed out the alternator and battery and the car is idling near 12 which i dont think is right. I power on everything and it drops slightly. I have no aftermarket stereo system with amp just a hid kit from vvme. JUst the mod for alt has been done to fix to strobbing lights but not a complete big 3. Would a higher output quality alt fix the problem with the low voltage or is it too much?
    " When the time comes for the Planet to die, you
    will understand that you know absolutely nothing. "

I can't answer your first question, but..

I just hopped outside and checked mine with a multimeter. battery is 3 years old, alternator is a reman I picked up from Carquest and installed a month ago. no charging light at any load or RPM. It reads 13.00 volts parked and 14.25 with the car started, with daytime running lights (it's a canada thing) & radio on low volume. I was actually a little surprised mine was so high. 12 volts is definitely way too low.

You shouldn't have to fire the parts cannon. keep diagnosing. You checked the mega fuse and blade fuses and they were good? If it were mine, I'd go down the list until I found my culprit :

I'd check the 10mm nut on the alternator that holds the charging wire.. is it tight? I'd also make sure both clips on the alternator are on, clipped, and free of any wobbles or dirt in the contacts.

I'd check the charging wire, for excessive resistance and for continuity with a multimeter, then physically check the wire for any physical damage (burns, worn insulation, whatever)

if you did the big three, maybe something is going on with that. i haven't touched my factoy wiring at all and the TSB was never done, so i'm not familiar enough with the procedure to know if it could cause your issues. edit : Wait, I take it back. check your Engine block's ground. I think the alternator might ground through it's case, which means it needs that engine ground to work properly (can anyone confirm this?)

If none of those were the culprits, I would then weep on the car's hood a little bit, jack it back up, yank the alternator, and go get it bench tested, ideally at the place I bought it from.

I'm pretty sure you'll find your problem somewhere on that list. Best of luck, keep us posted
    NECO's Leading Québécois or your money back.
    '00 2.5 ATX: ''Ella'' http://bit.ly/1VfpWlX
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeyisamadman View Post
    this rivalry is getting to the point where one day, to end it, my hooptie's going to get walked by a 3L Cougar with carbon fiber add-ons.

5. Remove Advertisements
    NewCougar.org
    Advertisements

NECO Member

Saw this from Eric the Car guy. Changed alternator on a 1998 Contour which is much the same as cougar. I'm now scared to death my alternator will die. I don't have a lift and I don't have all the tools that he has.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zanhb0w_4XQ

Hey
    Quote Originally Posted by xdeadeye1 View Post
    Saw this from Eric the Car guy. Changed alternator on a 1998 Contour which is much the same as cougar. I'm now scared to death my alternator will die. I don't have a lift and I don't have all the tools that he has.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zanhb0w_4XQ
    I saw the same video but he takes way more things apart than I did. I didn't take any power steering hoses off. As someone else stated once you do it over and over it ain't no thing

3 wheelin Lifetime Platinum MemberSuper Moderator jaged's Avatar

power steering hose? why would you do that. the only thing that you need to take off is the top of the sway bar end link. it will come out with just that. you dont even need to drop the y pipe. it makes it easier to get at, but not needed
    '14 Fusion SE Ecoboost daily driven kid hauler
    '01 2.5 mtx (parted 3-28-14, scrapped 9/11/16)
    '99 3L AutoX
    '08 Mustang Bullitt #5389 4/12/13 sold to B3NN3TT

So its begun..... Lifetime Platinum MemberAdministrator LostRacer's Avatar

That was hard to watch.
    The One&Only!
    C.A.R.B # FU50
    XBL=LostRacer2
    PSN=LostRacer
    I hate to see you leave but I love to watch you walk away." So true...
    Quote Originally Posted by lilpsycho213 View Post
    Person next to me gave me the funniest looking why I was dry humping in my seat haha.

Cougar Mahjong

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2