New Cougar Forum banner

Indicator light in the overhead panel.

2K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  B3NN3TT 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, that little light on my overhead panel (the one with the picture of a lightbulb) which as far as I know tells me I have a light out. Anyways, lately, it stays on for like a minute or so after I start my car before it goes away. Normally as soon as I touch the brakes it goes away, but now sometimes it will stay on for a little while then go away. Anyone have any idea what's going on? I checked my lights and they all seem to be working fine.

#6 ·
No I don't have LED's hooked up or any aftermarket anything really except for stereo. Exactly which lights on the car will cause the indicator to come on? It was worse than usual today, it kept coming on and then going off again.

#8 ·
I think any of your tail/headlights being burnt out will trigger it, plus the dome, map, trunk, glovebox lights. Check em out. My dome light is out and the bulb comes on when I start the car and stays on for about 15 seconds and goes out.

#12 ·
No, because I've got a 99 and have the bulb light. Maybe a difference in packages? I'm confused now.

#14 ·
I don't know what's going on here, I know the conveinence package included the indicator lights, and I know I have the bulb light and my car is a 99. Why other people are missing that light I don't know. I remember someone posting that they stopped putting in two of the lights at a certain year. But it wasn't the 99, and yours is a 00 and it doesn't have the light, right? I'm lost. Sorry for the confusion.

#16 ·
Maybe it was after 99 they took the other two lights out. It's something like that. I don't know why they would have done that, but then again this is Ford we're talking about. The lights are handy to have, especially the bulb light because my glovebox light burnt out and I wouldn't have realized it other wise. I still tend to call them "idiot lights" though. If anyone knows why some cars are missing the bulb and brake pad warning lights please post the answer so that this can be cleared up. I'm interested to know why that is.

#17 ·
hmmm
you know, it could be my glovebox light! Cause I opened it one day and I was like "wtf I thought I had a light in here" but it didn't light up, I just assumed it didn't have a light,never really thought that the bulb could be burnt out. Where can I get a replacement bulb?

#18 ·
Walmart, Pepboys, Autozone, etc. Open the glovebox, and the bulb is exposed on the roof of the glovebox. Just unscrew it, I think it's a 194 (check that out).

#19 ·
my glovebox light doesnt come on unless I have my parking/headlights on. Kind of weird but oh well.

#21 ·
Originally posted by: EllenD
I don't know what's going on here, I know the conveinence package included the indicator lights, and I know I have the bulb light and my car is a 99. Why other people are missing that light I don't know. I remember someone posting that they stopped putting in two of the lights at a certain year. But it wasn't the 99, and yours is a 00 and it doesn't have the light, right? I'm lost. Sorry for the confusion.
My 00 has the Convenience Package, but no overhead console thingy at all.

#22 ·
For the 2000 model year, the 2 indicators for brake wear and bulb failure were NOT included on the overhead console. 2000 cougars with the light package only have indicators for Periodic Service, Ice Caution, Ice Warning, Washer Fluid Level, and Door Ajar. 5 lights, to the 99's 7 lights.

As far as I know, that's the only discernible way to tell if a car is a 99 or 2000 without checking the decals under the hood.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.