30,000 mile checkup...necessary?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 30,000 mile checkup...necessary?

CatMan

I'm about to turn 29,000 miles on my cougar, so I called the dealership today to ask about the 30,000 mile checkup and was informed that it would cost me almost $800. That seems like a lot of money for a simple maintenance check, so I was wondering if some of you guys knew what all it entailed, and if it was absolutely necessary for me to put down all this money for them to go through and see that my car is running ok. Are there parts of it that need to be done and others that aren't really needed? If it's something that really needs to be done, I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and shell out the cash, but I can think of a lot better things to do with $800 than to have some techs look at the car and say everythings ok.

2. Remove Advertisements
    NewCougar.org
    Advertisements

First we crack the shell! Lifetime Platinum MemberModerator Rikenbomb's Avatar

Consult your service manual. Most of the items are checks only. Things like brake check, suspesion and steering linkage check spark plug check or replace. Change the oil and get new/reoil air filter, change cabin filter if necessary, flush coolant, Check tires for wear and balance, alignment if need be and some other things. It's best to consult your service manual. I spent a lil over 200 to have all this done and they changed my spark plugs as well, so you are getting ripped. I wouldn't pay 800 bucks for 30K mile service.

SENIOR moderator, sonny! Lifetime Platinum MemberModerator LinkMan's Avatar

I don't like your dealer, because they either don't care enough to actually check what they are going to do to give you a reasonable answer, or they are ripping you off. $800 is too much!

If you can wait till Wednesday morning, I think I still have all of the reciepts from my 99 Cougar at home, and I can check the dealer invoice for the 30K checkup. I had the service manual list of things done, minus the cabin air filter change, but plus having them break loose the spark plugs and re-tighten them.

I think it was in the ballpark of the $200 Rikenbomb gave.

(And yea, after that is when I said, D@$#, I can buy extensions and loosen the plugs myself for less than that )
    Mark
    2001 Laser Red Cougar V6 ATX - "Fun!"
    | CF 05 Best Stock | CF 06 Best Paint (tie) / 2nd Cleanest | CF 07 Cleanest |
    | CF X 2nd Cleanest | CF 09 Cleanest | CF 10 Cleanest / 2nd Best Paint / 2nd Interior |
    | CF 11 Cleanest / 2nd Best Paint | CF 12 2nd Interior / 2nd Engine Bay | CF 13 AWOL |
    2011 Tuxedo Black Edge SEL 3.5L V6 ATX w/MFT | 2008 Dark Ink Blue Fusion SEL 3.0L V6 ATX w/Sync
    Retired with Honors - 1997 Medium Willow Green Taurus GL | RIP - 1999 Rio Red Cougar V6 ATX

I had mine done at Firestone for $250.00.

Say thank you for living only 5 miles from work , I stopped at home for lunch today, and managed to find my old Cougar's receipt's folder.

At the dealership, w/ labor running (IIRC) $64 / hour, the labor for the 30K service was about $126, the parts were $64, and so the total before taxes was $191.

That's the owner's manual list of checks/flushes/refills etc., minus the cabin air filter, but plus the labor to loosen/retorque the sparkplugs.

HTH.

<edit> Correct numbers! Sorry, dyslexic typist w/ short term memory loss parts $46, labor $134, shop & environmental $9. See post farther down w/ details. </edit>
    Mark
    | CF X 2nd Cleanest | CF 09 Cleanest | CF 10 Cleanest / 2nd Best Paint / 2nd Interior |
    | CF 11 Cleanest / 2nd Best Paint | CF 12 2nd Interior / 2nd Engine Bay | CF 13 AWOL |
    2011 Tuxedo Black Edge SEL 3.5L V6 ATX w/MFT | 2008 Dark Ink Blue Fusion SEL 3.0L V6 ATX w/Sync
    Retired with Honors - 1997 Medium Willow Green Taurus GL | RIP - 1999 Rio Red Cougar V6 ATX

CatMan

Thanks a lot guys, especially you linkman. You didn't have to go home from work just to check out your receipts. I don't know why my dealership is wanting to charge me so much for this. I even called another dealership in my area, and they said it would be $650. A little better, but still WAY too much IMO. I think I'll call them tomorrow and ask what exactly is going to be done and how much each item is going to cost. Looking at my service schedule, it doesn't look like it should take more than 2 hours, so I'm at a loss. Anyway, thanks a lot everyone, hopefully I'll be able to figure out what exactly these guys are trying to pull.

Originally posted by: LinkMan
    Say thank you for living only 5 miles from work

At the dealership, w/ labor running (IIRC) $64 / hour, the labor for the 30K service was about $126, the parts were $64, and so the total before taxes was $191.
    "Thank you for living only 5 miles from work!"

So, does your receipt list the parts that were included for $64?

FYI - I have consulted my service manual provided by my dealer and also my Chilton manual since 20K miles and had zero problems (coming up on 50K miles now). All of the work mentioned in the manuals is relatively simple-to-do labor so long as you can follow directions and have the space/time to do it.
    2003 Suzuki SV1000 V-Twin
    2000 Mercury Cougar V6 - SOLD
    1973 Ford Bronco V8
    2004 Nissan Titan V8

Thanks a lot guys, especially you linkman.
    No problemo, saved me a day of lunch money and it fit my schedule.

"Thank you for living only 5 miles from work!"

So, does your receipt list the parts that were included for $64?
    Everybody's a comedian

Yes, I'm pretty sure it does list the parts, I will check that too. But in this case, being 5 miles from home won't help, as my lunch hour is already scheduled today, but I'll see what I can do tonight.
    Mark

CatMan

Okay, more on the ongoing raping that the dealerships are trying to give me. I got a list of everything they're going to do, how long it'll take, and how much the parts are.

Free stuff that's covered by the warranty:
    -lubricate and inspect suspension, drive line, steering linkage, hinges, cable guides and contact points
    -Inspect drive belts, hoses and cooling system
    -Inspect all lighting interior and exterior
    -Inspect and adjust all fluid levels
    -Complete brake inspection, pads, shoes, rotors, drums, and lines
    -Inspect body and shassis assembly, lubricate and adjust nuts, bolts and bushings as needed
    -Complete fuel system check
    -Inspect, clean and repack non-drive wheel bearings
    -Inspect steering operation and linkage
    -Inspect exhaust system

Now for the raping:
    -Inspect drive shafts and drive boots - 1 hr
    -Change oil and filter - .5 hrs, $14.70
    -Replace engine coolant - 3 hrs, $12.00
    -Replace air filter - .2hrs, $16.95
    -Rotate and balance tires - 1 hr
    -Fuel system induction service - 1 hr, $39.95
    -Service automatic transmission - 1 hr, $30.28
    -Front and rear end alignment - 2 hrs
    -Replace hepa filter - .5 hrs, $29.34
    -Replace spark plugs and check ignition - 1 hr, $32.75

Total Parts: $176.00
    Total Labor (8 hours): $585.00
    Total Cost: $761.00 Plus tax

Linkman (or anyone else who can find their reciepts), how does this compare to your invoice list of parts/labor? I'd be really interested in seeing the differences. Again, thanks for the help everyone, I really appreciate anything you guys can do to help keep me from getting screwed. $800.00 would buy me a very nice set of headers if I didn't have to use it for general maintenance.

I know the gurus will speak up, but my comments first:

-Engine coolant should not need to be replaced until at least 50K miles because the Cougar uses the "new" coolant that lasts longer.
    -What the hell is a "Fuel System Induction Service?!"
    -I didn't see replace fuel filter on there... this should be done every 15K miles.
    -If "Replace HEPA Filter" is referring to the cabin air filter, this should've been done at 20K miles and not need to be done again until 40K miles.
    -Once again, a Cougar marketing/selling point is that it did not need a tune up until 100K miles - this would include spark plugs. Granted, many people change their's out long before that, but I would think you could hit 50K on the stock plugs before you'd notice a difference.
    -I wish I'd known that "Inspect, clean and repack non-drive wheel bearings" was a warranty-covered item while I was still under warranty. I haven't ever had this done and still have tracking and comfort as true as the day I bought her.

These guys are blatantly trying to rip you off, in my opinion. Most of that inspection BS you can do yourself just by looking at your car. Most of the other stuff you can do yourself, or just go to http://www.partsamerica.com, buy the parts and take them to someone else to install. It'll all be much, much cheaper and you'll probably be able to get some higher quality parts at around the same price.
    2003 Suzuki SV1000 V-Twin
    2000 Mercury Cougar V6 - SOLD
    1973 Ford Bronco V8
    2004 Nissan Titan V8

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast