New Cougar Forum banner

Effects of a bad valve cover gasket?

6K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  whitecat99 
#1 ·
Obviously an oil leak will be the main problem with a bad valve cover gasket. I am wondering if it will effect the way the engine runs in any way. I know some engines will run bad when there is any kind of bad seal. A bad seal will allow air to get into engines that have negative pressure in the crank case. This effects the regulated air flowing through the PCV valve and in turn the tuning of the engine.

Does anyone know if the 2.5 L Cougar engine has any issues with a bad seal other than an oil leak?

#2 ·
Well it looks like I either used a bad title or no one knows any more about it.

#4 ·
I have dealt with a Cougar that had leaking valve cover gasket, and it didn't seem to make the car run poorly, but it did leak a lot of oil. I wouldn't rule out the possibility though. If the leak is bad enough, I'm sure you could get unmetered air into the engine.

#5 ·
Well, I guess I will find out when I replace the valve cover gaskets. Right now I have an almost unnoticeable stumble at certain conditions when the engine is under a light load. This seemed to develop as the oil leak started.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.