Tail light cover light leak - how to seal?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tail light cover light leak - how to seal?

NECO Member

I have tail light covers that I'm about to install, I test fit them last night and found some light leakage problem. It may very well be that once I install them and push the tape in, the problem will disappear, but I think I may electrical tape up the leaking areas just in case. I read on here a little while back that someone used tape to seal, but I don't remember seeing specifics as for any special things I should watch out for, so I'd appreciate if there's any. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    NewCougar.org
    Advertisements

OJE

i had tl covers on my last cougar and will be putting them on this one once i have them painted. Last time i didnt use tape and i didnt have any light coming out but this time i will be using black electrical tape just to make sure it has a clean look. I am pretty sure SUNNI did this to hers, im sure she would help you out if you pm'ed her. I think you basically just need to line the edge of the taillight with the tape and that should be fine. if your having light come out near the circles, i dont know how to fix that. good luck.

NECO Member

Yup.. black electrical tape should take care of it. Basically, before putting them on i put black tape around all the edges. also covered the area thats in the trunk. If you close the trunk and look in.. you can still see the red plastic. No need to cover this with tape since no light comes thru there, but i guess im just too much of a perfectionist. /me shrugs. in any case with mine.. you dont see any red anywhere except the "boobs".
    I like to watch planes fly by and when I see them I try to squash them between my index finger and thumb. I also like playing rock, paper, scissor.

NECO Member

Should I cover the trunk area with black tape??? I have a green cougar...

NECO Member

i did. You dont have to since light doesn't leak thru the trunk edges. i only did it because when you look down thru where the trunk and lights meet.. you can see red from the red plastic.
    I like to watch planes fly by and when I see them I try to squash them between my index finger and thumb. I also like playing rock, paper, scissor.

I covered the trunk area with the electrical tape as well, but it peeled right off
    Eat it Gipe!

WinHac1

I cover the edge of the tail light with electrical tape before the covers went on works great

+ Reply to Thread