Questions about some Fender dents.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Questions about some Fender dents.

NECO Member

Questions about some Fender dents.

Same guy who needs a new mirror on that LH side, I've got a tiny bit more damage (Unfortunately... Who knew how strong those plastic bumpers are on Avalanches?).

I've got two pretty big dents in my LH side Fender, not sure if it's a situation where a body shop would be easiest, I could attempt, or a new fender is in order. Either way, it seems either I live with it (I like driving my Cougar, I'd rather do performance upgrades/maintenance than worry over cosmetics), or I fix it myself. And I've got no experience either, so that doesn't make it any better. But how else does one learn besides through trial and error, right?

Anyways, here's a picture of the damaged cat, just would appreciate some input. Always open to the idea of buying some of those dent pullers if it's reasonable, I'm sure I'll need one a few more times in my life, being young and all.

2. Remove Advertisements
    NewCougar.org
    Advertisements

Re: Questions about some Fender dents.

Giving how creased it is, a new fender would be alot cheaper and alot less work.

I've fixed worse, but its kind of what Im studying in college. Body shop would be your easiest fix. Replacement salvage fender from a car the same color would be the cheapest.
    1999 frosty 3L MTX, A.K.A. "Jane", 1999 Ebony 3L MTX, A.K.A. "Luci"
    1999 E150 Econoline coachmen conversion A.K.A. "Pappy"
    1999 Honda Civic EX 1.6L Of Honda non turbo somethingness A.K.A. "Fairy Blue"

5. Remove Advertisements
    NewCougar.org
    Advertisements

NECO Member

Can't say I'm surprised. Might just try and do a bit of damage control if it's possible, just make it less noticeable. As I said, I'll suck it up, as long as I can keep her running (Which has been a pain in the ass), I'll stay happy. Oh, and get a friggin' mirror.

Damage control? remove from car, manhandle somewhat back to shape from the inside, refit?
    NECO's Leading Québécois or your money back.
    '00 2.5 ATX: ''Ella'' http://bit.ly/1VfpWlX
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeyisamadman View Post
    this rivalry is getting to the point where one day, to end it, my hooptie's going to get walked by a 3L Cougar with carbon fiber add-ons.

NECO Member

Doesn't seem to be much more one can do reasonably. Then again, replacing the fender isn't exactly unreasonable (If I can find a silver frost fender that isn't smashed on that same side haha). So yeah, manhandle it a bit into some sort of shape, not too worried about looks in the end. As long as she's functional. I can't even drive her for quite a while, at AIT for the Army, not allowed to even drive on my Christmas break. Just want to try and get her prepared for whenever I get out and can have her back on the roads.

NECO Member Gold Member nadthomas's Avatar

Anything you do to that fender will likely make it look worse. Smashing it with a hammer will likely just cause the paint to crack and flake off, and leave the metal heavily rippled. Assuming your car is Silver Frost and not Satin Silver, it should be pretty easy to find a fender from a junkyard as silver frost cars were plentiful. The front fenders are easy to take off. So either leave the fender alone or replace it.

If you replace the fneder, the only think is you have to be extremely careful with the bolts as they are made from the softest metal ever. I have replaced the front fenders 3 times on my various cougars, and each time I snapped at least one bolt each time just break them loose. Although the fender will be just fine without 1 or 2 bolts if that happens.

In the Garage
    2013 BMW 328i 2.0T 6 Speed
    2007 Ford Fusion V6 SE
    2002 Ford Explorer Sport 4x4
    SOLD: 2001 Mercury Cougar C2 3L ATX

Rubber mallet from the inside might straighten it up some without messing the paint up severely. Youre gonna have to finesse it back out though you cant just pound the heck out of it.

AIT sucked with all the stupid rules like that. If you end up close to fort bragg I know where there's a silver 2001 that has way better fenders then that one on it

NECO Member

Found a dude who has a completely hopeless Silver Frost for sale, probably going to see if he's willing to start parting it out. Miraculously, it has no damage on that side. Might get his rear bumper too, mine's got plenty of damage haha. Thanks though for this info guys.

EDIT -

Actually, I should ask now, would the rear bumper, LH Fender and mirror all fit on an 01 Cougar off a 99?
    That could be a nasty surprise I bet.

theyll bolt on but I think the bumper is cosmetically different

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast