Carbon Fiber versus Fiberglass
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Carbon Fiber versus Fiberglass

Carbon Fiber versus Fiberglass

Quick question, which material is more durable for a hood? Carbon Fiber or Fiberglass?

Mainly against chipping, cracking, operational durability i.e. opening and closing the hood. Do I need hood pins for either?

The last piece I need before painting my baby is a good hood. I'm going with the Kaminari but want your opinion on which to pick.

Also, can Carbon Fiber be painted over to hide the fibers? For example, can it be painted to match the car's color?
    * 2000 V6 MTX (Black), MSDS Headers + Y-pipe, K&N SRI, Trubendz-Borla, SVT UIM+TB+ECU+19#FI, HMS, Torsen, Stage 3 Clutchmasters, Fidanza, 8k's x4, JVC KW-NT3HDT, '01 leather interior
    * 1999 V6 MTX (Silver Frost), Lincoln Sync Nav system

2. Remove Advertisements
    NewCougar.org
    Advertisements

Got 1/2 a Vanquish engine Lifetime Platinum MemberAdministrator JScullin's Avatar

Re: Carbon Fiber versus Fiberglass

Carbon fiber is more durable but also costs more. Fiberglass is cheaper and easier to repair if damaged. Chipping durability all depends on how well it's painted and the quality of paint.

You should use hood pins as there's no real telling how strong the material is with a metal hood latch bolted in can be. Vibration & wind can create hairline cracks and next thing you know a hood has flown up and smashed your windshield.

CF can be painted over easily. Some people just don't because they paid extra for the material and want to show it off.
    Skolenimation: Graphic Design | Modifications @ CougarDB.com

Quote Originally Posted by BigBalledOX View Post
    This should be the thread that closes this forum permanently.

Thank you J.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk
    * 2000 V6 MTX (Black), MSDS Headers + Y-pipe, K&N SRI, Trubendz-Borla, SVT UIM+TB+ECU+19#FI, HMS, Torsen, Stage 3 Clutchmasters, Fidanza, 8k's x4, JVC KW-NT3HDT, '01 leather interior
    * 1999 V6 MTX (Silver Frost), Lincoln Sync Nav system

NECO Member

In my experience Hood Pins snap and cause damage to.
    Thats what happened to me anyways... The holds snapped clean off.

NECO Member Gold Member nadthomas's Avatar

Always use hood pins with fiberglass and CF hoods. The hood latch plate is only attached to the hood using a thin layer of fiberglass. It not bolted/riveted/welded to another thick piece of metal like oem steel hoods are. Most CF hoods that cost less then $1500 uses basically the same process as a hand laid fiberglass hood therefore they really aren't much stronger then fiberglass. A CF hood comes with a smooth clear coat so it can easily be painted over if you like(see the pics of my silver cougar in my sig with a partially painted CF hood), possibly even more easily then a fiberglass hood as the gel coat on a fiberglass hood normally needs a little prep before it can be painted.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorzo View Post
    In my experience Hood Pins snap and cause damage to.
    Thats what happened to me anyways... The holds snapped clean off.
    Use quality hood pins, and install them correctly and you won't have that problem.

Faster then Andy this week.
    2001 C2 3L ATX -SVT UIM/TB, BB LIM, CAI, MSDS Headers, SHOShop Y-pipe, B&M Oil(ATX) Cooler, Roush Springs, BAT Struts, RSTB, XR Wheels
    French Blue C2 - Silver Frost Roush Cougar - Rio Red Cougar

That link is NSFW Lifetime Platinum MemberModerator bensenvill's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nadthomas View Post
    Use quality hood pins, and install them correctly and you won't have that problem.
    and create matching backing plates for the hood pin mounts as cf/fiberglass has different stress characteristics than metal. a tiny bolt with a tiny nut against a cf/fiberglass backing isnt going to cut it.
    Quote Originally Posted by JScullin View Post
    I just started hemorrhaging blood from the sheer amount of rage that suddenly built up inside me from that comment.
    1994 Lincoln Towncar w/ 112576 CRUSHED
    1996 Contour SE MTX loaded w/ 137179 CRUSHED
    1999 Silver Frost MTX original owner w/ 70500 ALMOST RUNNING
    2009 Honda Fit manual w/ floormats

Not a great deal of difference between the two, resin is resin at the end of the day, whether its soaked into carbon or glass, i'd trust a standard latch plate from someone like Kaminari (and do) but if it was a back street job, get an engineer to check it or go with ugly pins lol personally i think they're a gimmick for road vehicles, but serve a purpose for race ones ;-) ps if your gonna paint it use glass, waste of money otherwise
    V6 Green Goblin, Kaminari Carbon Hood, BK121 18"
    SVT LIM & TB, ST200 UIM,ST220 TB, Dual Exit Blue Flame, 57i, Dropped 30mm
    Lola UAV Carbon Tech

+ Reply to Thread