how can i improve my 1/4 mile?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: how can i improve my 1/4 mile?

how can i improve my 1/4 mile?

so i raced at the dragstrip for the first time and i was decently happy with my first run ever, since it was about the same as the rest. but i think i dont have grip during my launches or im not launching hard enough. here are my times

first run
    r/t ... .499
    60' ... 2.290
    330 ... 6.372
    1/8 ... 9.659
    mph ... 75.89
    1000 ... 12.495
    1/4 ... 14.875
    mph ... 95.25

best run
    r/t ... .404
    60' ... 2.350
    330 ... 6.364
    1/8 ... 9.613
    mph ... 76.53
    1000 ... 12.415
    1/4 ... 14.774
    mph ... 96.04

anyone have any advice for me? i was launching around 2.5k. just a slight wheel skweal. i have stock suspension and my tires as cheep crap and were at 25psi. i will be posting videos of my runs later so you guys can see exactly what im doing but any advise would be appriciated. i really wanted to get faster but couldnt. some guy told me with my trap time meant i could be in the low 14's even 13's but i ran 14.7's and 14.8's all day long. here are some vids to show you what i was doing

btw. i did win first in highschool drags
    Last edited by andreyyyk; 2011-07-03 at 01:50 AM.
    Full 3L '99 Mercury Cougar MTX.
    236 HP.

2006 GSX600R. white with blue pearl
    Quote Originally Posted by nadthomas View Post
    Man, I'm glad you figured that one out for us, that has been such a road block.

2. Remove Advertisements
    NewCougar.org
    Advertisements

Re: how can i improve my 1/4 mile?

Congrats,

You probably did this but you can get rid of extra weight for a faster time. I believe they say a ball park idea is for every 100lbs off is 0.1 sec off your 1/4 mile.

Practice launching the car, try launching at different rpm's 2.5k,3k, 3.5k etc. When are you shifting between your gear changes? I always pushed the car and wouldn't shift unless I heard/felt the car bog down. I hit the rev limiter a few times, as long as you dont do it every single time it's alright.

Oh yeah and I think your 60ft time is pretty good for this platform on street tires. So maybe disregard that comment about practicing your launches lol

Sold-1999 3.0L Mercury Cougar- Cougardb // Cardomain // Fuelly
    New- 2011 Ford Fusion Sport AWD- CAI&tune. Fuelly//Cardomain

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBetty View Post
    Congrats,Practice launching the car, try launching at different rpm's 2.5k,3k, 3.5k etc.
    Is his transmission built up? Better clutch, torsen? Otherwise I don't think it's a good idea to be launching/drag racing.
    * 2000 V6 MTX (Black), MSDS Headers + Y-pipe, K&N SRI, Trubendz-Borla, SVT UIM+TB+ECU+19#FI, HMS, Torsen, Stage 3 Clutchmasters, Fidanza, 8k's x4, JVC KW-NT3HDT, '01 leather interior
    * 1999 V6 MTX (Silver Frost), Lincoln Sync Nav system

Sometimes Faster than Dan Lifetime Platinum MemberSuper Moderator B3NN3TT's Avatar

I was pulling 2.39 60-foot times in my old, un-modified 2.5L.

You need to work on beefing up your drivetrain.

The only time i went to the drag, i had 2 runs, and my diff blew on the third. I did 16.5, then 15.8. On a stock 2.5. Surely the 3.0 would do better than a second better than the 2.5?
    91' Chevrolet Silverado 1500 5.0 Atx 2wd (Daily Driver)
    99' Mercury Cougar 2.5 V6 Mtx (Sold)
    98' Ford Windstar 3.8 V6 Atx (Fiancee's Daily Driver)
    89' Plymouth Acclaim 2.5 I4 Atx (Sold trusty dusty =( )

Awesome. Looks like fun. You kept up with him pretty close in the second vid. (once you got moving of course)

Dyno plots show most cars hitting peak torque somewhere in the 4500-4800 range...would it make sense to shift around 5k to keep it in that powerband as much as possible rather than going to the top where torque is dropping off rapidly?
    Of course, our peak Hp is usually more like 6200ish so maybe 1st-4th shift around 5k and dont go to 5th until more like 6k?

Seems like lower grip tires might not be a bad thing on a stock drivetrain...better slow than towed.
    Klaatu barada nikto

Sometimes Faster than Dan Lifetime Platinum MemberSuper Moderator B3NN3TT's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mmc757 View Post
    Dyno plots show most cars hitting peak torque somewhere in the 4500-4800 range...would it make sense to shift around 5k to keep it in that powerband as much as possible rather than going to the top where torque is dropping off rapidly?
    Of course, our peak Hp is usually more like 6200ish so maybe 1st-4th shift around 5k and dont go to 5th until more like 6k?
    NO NO NO no no no no no no no. Read this article:

Horsepower vs torque

And for the record, I've seen a few modified 2.5s run 14.7-14.8's without even any boost. My best was a 15.3 though. Depending on the track and elevation, 3.0 Cougars can run pretty close to flat 14s all day.

TZT Performance Gold MemberModerator Turbo Zetec Tour's Avatar

work on the launch to bring down the 60ft time, you want just a little bit of wheel spin but not so much that you just sit there. you also dont want so little RPMs that you bog off the line. then make smooth fast shifts right at redline. might want to shift a touch early in 1st since the tach is a little slow, dont want to hit the rev limiter.
    Daniel - TZT Performance
    '93 Mitsu 3000GT VR4 - 230K miles and counting
    2000 Black SVTC #391 - sold
    '97 Contour GL Tutrbo - sent to the crusher Jan 09

Quote Originally Posted by B3NN3TT View Post
    NO NO NO no no no no no no no. Read this article:

Horsepower vs torque

And for the record, I've seen a few modified 2.5s run 14.7-14.8's without even any boost. My best was a 15.3 though. Depending on the track and elevation, 3.0 Cougars can run pretty close to flat 14s all day.
    Interesting article...Thats why I worded my post as a question.
    I'll have to crunch some numbers with that data.
    Klaatu barada nikto

i kept deflating my tires and borrowed a guys tire pressure gauge to check. they were around 25. but when i got home and checked on the air filler it was at 31psi. so i was confused. and as u can see in my videos i barley got and wheel spin and i was launching around 2.5k. i tried 3k and got extreme wheel hop so i got a 15 that one run. i was trying to figure our the perfect launch rpm's each run.
    i also know that when i shifted around 6.2 i would get 14.8 and when i shifted closer to 7k i got the 14.7. but according to my torque curve i should be shifting around 6.2k because it just drops dramatically. as seen in this picture

maybe i need to shift earlier 1st and 2nd gears and later 3rd and 4th? and definattly deflate my tires more? bause all i was working on is launches and i couldnt get out of the 14.7's. and i wouldn't say that im a Horrible driver. u can tell me if i am from my vid.lol
    Full 3L '99 Mercury Cougar MTX.
    236 HP.

2006 GSX600R. white with blue pearl
    Quote Originally Posted by nadthomas View Post
    Man, I'm glad you figured that one out for us, that has been such a road block.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast