What's the best way to protect chrome rims?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What's the best way to protect chrome rims?

Question What's the best way to protect chrome rims?

Well, Thanksgiving has come and gone and this is the time each year when I put my Cougar into the moth balls so to speak. Last Spring, I bought 4 nice new chrome rims for it. My question is what is the best way to protect these rims while my car is in the garage the whole Winter? I asked 2 guys at Advance Auto Parts and neither one could give me a definitive answer, so I wound up buying Mother's Chrome Cleaner. The one guy said it may make them look nice and shiny but he didn't know if they would protect the rims or not.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Please let me know.
    Wanna do something to help your country? BUY AMERICAN!!!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    NewCougar.org
    Advertisements

Capital Curmudgeon Lifetime Platinum MemberModerator skater's Avatar

Re: What's the best way to protect chrome rims?

Personally I'd check with the manufacturer of the wheels - that's the best way to be sure. If that doesn't work, and they're clearcoated like stock wheels, I would wash and wax them.
    1999 Cougar, Laser Red, 3.0L V6, MTX (a lot more fun)
    2014 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.7L Diesel (Towzilla)
    2012 Honda Accord V6, ATX (daily)

NECO Member

Hi juke-box. What skater stated above. Best course of action would be to check with the wheel manufacturer for proper care and storage.

If the wheels are clearcoated (which many/most are nowadays), then do not use a chrome cleaner. Even if the chrome cleaner states it is clearcoat safe, you do not need a chrome cleaner for clearcoated wheels, since the cleaner is not touching any chrome, it is only touching clearcoat paint and could damage that clearcoat finish.

For clearcoated wheels, you would clean and protect them for storage just as you would your cars clearcoat paint finish: Wash them with a good automotive car wash/shampoo and water, rinse well, then give them a good wax and buff. You could apply a second coat if you like for added protection, since it will only protect and make them look that much better when you reinstall them in the spring.

If the wheel are bare or un-coated chrome (which would be very unusual nowadays), then you can wash them, use the Mother's chrome cleaner, then give the wheels a good wax and buff afterward to protect them for storage.

But again, check with the manufacture first for their advice.

Good luck.
    Last edited by BBF2530; 2010-11-30 at 01:58 PM.
    2001 Cougar - 2.5L V-6 - 5 Speed MTX - Black Clearcoat - Medium Graphite Leather

Wash & wax. Stay off curbs.

Born 02/13/1999. Silver Frost Duratec MTX Sport -CougarDB-Cardomain-Facebook

A rag dampened with wd-40 protects chrome well. Just clean them with a mild detergent or dish soap, and once dry wipe them with some wd. When you put them back on the car dish soap also works well for removing the wd. Hope this helps!
    2000 Cougar 2.5 - 215XXX mi. ATX

Capital Curmudgeon Lifetime Platinum MemberModerator skater's Avatar

I'm beginning to think WD-40 pays people to come into the forums and promote their stuff. Remember this?

Just wash and wax the wheels. WD-40 will strip any protective coating off the wheel.
    1999 Cougar, Laser Red, 3.0L V6, MTX (a lot more fun)
    2014 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.7L Diesel (Towzilla)
    2012 Honda Accord V6, ATX (daily)

Haha Im not getting payed very well then!! I have had good luck with this method on chrome, but to each his own...
    2000 Cougar 2.5 - 215XXX mi. ATX

+ Reply to Thread