Jaged's Batsh!t Crazy Racecar/Autox Thread
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 45 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Jaged's Batsh!t Crazy Racecar/Autox Thread

3 wheelin Lifetime Platinum MemberSuper Moderator jaged's Avatar

Jaged's Batsh!t Crazy Racecar/Autox Thread

start of 2017 Brakes and Cowl hood post 430

havent really posted a lot about the car since the rebuild so i figure i should put something up since it just hit the whole nother level this past weekend

Background: lets just say ive gone through a few motors so i decided 2 years back to fix that and have a motor built. I took the car to Buckeyesvt to do the build (he doesnt to it any longer though).

The build included these fun bits
    Balanced crank with 8.5:1 Diamond pistons with Pauter rods

custom ground cams on heads that i ported out on the exhaust side

and a clutchmasters stage 4 six puck clutch

as well as these motor bits that were in the car already
    Fidanza Flywheel
    Torsen diff (more on this later)
    Zetec FD
    Vortech
    air to water intercooler

all that netted me this

last year we ran the car with almost no issues, but if you were at cougarfest last year you may have participated in my trans pull because the diff grenaded itself. Terry Haines rebuilt the trans for me with a quaife from burton power and put in some new bits to replace some old worn bits.

We finished 2nd and 3rd locally last year because we were fiddling with stuff all season and trying to get it dialed in. I took it to nationals with the goal of not being last. I was 11/13 and the fastest non civic, i beat the only other non civic, a VW Scirocco.

This season the car hasnt been the same for 2 events in a row. It started with changing the Roush rear sway bar to an Aussie bar, and then changing out the air to water for a 30lb lighter set up.

next came a new steering wheel to ditch the Momo D shaped wheel that was in it. The D wheel became an issue because it was hard to flow smoothly out of hard turns

and a new Kirkey seat to sit a bit lower and save on some weight

Next up was the PRT camber plates because we couldnt get the car to turn like we needed to, and in the past with less power and less tire i ripped 3 of the old style strut mount camber plates. I just got the slicked up and going to be smoothed out this weekend. but they make a HUGE change

next up was some 17x9" wheels for the front (need to take a pic of them) but its the same style as my 17x8"s

When i parted out alleys car it had an invader hood. its a bit ugly but it vents some heat out of the engine bay. and is now sanded and will be cleared

the last 2 weeks ive been working on a front splitter to get that last bit of grip, because 275's arent enough. The splitter is made of a NASCAR car of tomorrow splitter that was narrowed. i brain farted when i was doing it so i had to improvise a fix (happens when youre working after midnight). the air dam is made of 2 pieces of aluminum. The bumper is a transplant from Gulfcat/Nitecats car from fest this year, Thank you ladies.

Now i know its not the prettiest thing, so be gentle. its going to get revised over the winter(maybe sooner) because its......interesting to drive down the road and into and out of my driveway.

things to do still:

1. reinforce the splitter a bit differently, the splash guard holes didnt hold, and get a splash shield made to replace the stock one (some hose routing prevents using the stock one. easy fix

2. route a 3"ish hose to duct air up to the supercharger body, and some vents on the hood to expel the heat.

3. stewie control arms

4. A maybe: stiffer springs. i have 650/440 now and im compressing the struts all the way. Need to check some stuff still on that one

5. kirkey seat for the passenger side

Videos can be found here jageds new autox videos

and as inspiration for everyone elses projects. i just got this photo from the guy i bought the car from and it started out like this

Last edited by jaged; 2017-01-05 at 03:38 PM.
    Pip513, wadespencer99 and ND4SPD like this.
    '14 Fusion SE Ecoboost daily driven kid hauler
    '01 2.5 mtx (parted 3-28-14, scrapped 9/11/16)
    '99 3L AutoX
    '08 Mustang Bullitt #5389 4/12/13 sold to B3NN3TT

2. Remove Advertisements
    NewCougar.org
    Advertisements

Re: Jaged's Batsh!t Crazy Racecar/Autox Thread

dope. ive always loved to see other race builds. and compare them. especially your stuff

anyways...

what if you made a larger splitter? and i think those springs are way too soft. i think i matched your rates and it felt good on the streets but not enough for competitive racing.
    1999 Mercury Cougar MTX. Full 3.0L. 232whp. 241tq
    1990 S13 Hatch. 2JZ 3.0L drift project
    2004 A4 Quattro 3.0L. New Daily
    2006 GSX600R. white and blue pearl sold

cant go bigger with a splitter because of the rules of the class
    '99 3L AutoX

5. Remove Advertisements
    NewCougar.org
    Advertisements

SENIOR moderator, sonny! Lifetime Platinum MemberModerator LinkMan's Avatar

Looks hot. Real race car.

Any way to make the splitter a quick change on/off? I know that would make the mounting a lot more difficult, but the driving to and from the events less worrisome.
    Mark
    2001 Laser Red Cougar V6 ATX "Fun!"
    | CF05 Best Stock | CF06 Best Paint (tie) / 2nd Cleanest | CF07 Cleanest |
    | CFX 2nd Cleanest | CF 09 Cleanest | CF10 Cleanest/2nd Best Paint & Interior |
    | CF11 Cleanest/2nd Best Paint | CF12 2nd Interior & Engine Bay | CF13 Yes | CF14 AWOL | CF15 Yes | CF16 Almost
    2011 Tuxedo Black Edge SEL 3.5L V6 ATX w/MFT | 2008 Dark Ink Blue Fusion SEL 3.0L V6 ATX w/Sync
    Retired w/Honor 97 Med. Willow Green Taurus GL | RIP 99 Rio Red Cougar V6 ATX

thats part of the revision of the winter. there isnt really a good way to mount it so that it will be sturdy quickly, short of just dropping the whole bumper, which would still be 6 bolts and some fasteners across the top of the bumper
    '99 3L AutoX

what class are you running?
    1999 Mercury Cougar MTX. Full 3.0L. 232whp. 241tq
    1990 S13 Hatch. 2JZ 3.0L drift project
    2004 A4 Quattro 3.0L. New Daily
    2006 GSX600R. white and blue pearl sold

street modified FWD as seen in the next to last pic on the side of the car

got the hood wet sanded today. need to find some new hood pins since the ones in it suck. i was thinking about the ones like bensenvil has
    '99 3L AutoX

I love lamp Lifetime Platinum MemberModerator ice992's Avatar

Haven't posted much since the last Cougar was sold and I went with the Camaro, but I've always loved watching your car build over time Jaged.

Keep it up man, looks good!
    -Dan

NECO's How-To PDF Compilation!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by JScullin View Post
    @ NorCalCoug
    Also, you hold the phone very dainty. As a lady man would his gentleman lover whilst engaged in a passionate kiss.

That car is getting really really trick. I love the HP and torque numbers. Regarding the splitter, I am in the process of building a new one after tearing mine off on the 13th. I am not going to be using the really cool NASCAR material. I am using 1/4" plywood layed up in layers so that I can develop a bit of a low pressure area under the nose of the car and then covering that with fibreglass. Its really tough developing a splitter system that works and still allows you to actually load the car or drive over a curb.

Regarding spring setups I may be of a little assistance. In my car they developed the car fully and are using 700 front and 450 rear. The front bar is adjustable, but the diameter is 3/4" and its mounted in pillow blocks for no compliance. The rear bar is 1.5" and again adjustable and in pillow blocks. The alignment settings are going to be different as my geometry and shocks are totally different and as the usage is different, however I can say that the car handles extremely well in the longer, faster stuff but has a V8 Camaro push in the slower stuff. What I do for tight tracks is whack the rear bar to full stiff so it rotates then I add more rear wing to cover the resultant oversteer with aero for the faster corners.

I will take some pictures of how my splitter setup comes together and post them in a separate thread so as to not clutter up yours.

Again, great work and the car looks really cool. I expect that you could smoke me on a tighter track. You have 50 plus more horses and 50 plus more torques. I love your effort on a not too popular platform.

Eric
    2003 Jaguar XJR R1 with BBS/Brembo option, 2010 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer
    2010 Ford Edge, 1976 F250 Super Cab
    2002 Cougar GT Challenge ST1 #23, 1991 RX7 CASC GT #23

if i cant figure out a quick disconnect for this it will be at least an inch higher. i ground down half the bolt head of the bolts that connect the supports to the splitter, and that was just to and from the event.

i talked with the local suspension guru at the event and he said another 50lbs or so in the front would help.

i didnt notice it as much, but my co driver noticed a lack of grip when he slowed down a lot in the turns, so its working
    '99 3L AutoX

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 45 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast