Mazda 3.0L w/ Variable Valve Timing????
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mazda 3.0L w/ Variable Valve Timing????

EatRice

I am not sure if this has been brought up or not, I have not seen it though, so just thought I'd ask. Does anyone know if this would be easily feasible? The new 3.0L in the Mazda 6 is a duratec engine with variable valve timing, it is even made in the same Cleveland Ford plant as the duratec in our cars. This engine puts out 220hp and 192ft-lbs to the crank, and is a much higher revving engine. Any ideas as in if this would be as easy as a swap from the Taurus/Sable, or as cheap for that matter? Any inputs would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    NewCougar.org
    Advertisements

be trollin fer trolls Lifetime Platinum MemberAdministrator FastCougar's Avatar

Originally posted by: EatRice
    I am not sure if this has been brought up or not, I have not seen it though, so just thought I'd ask. Does anyone know if this would be easily feasible? The new 3.0L in the Mazda 6 is a duratec engine with variable valve timing, it is even made in the same Cleveland Ford plant as the duratec in our cars. This engine puts out 220hp and 192ft-lbs to the crank, and is a much higher revving engine. Any ideas as in if this would be as easy as a swap from the Taurus/Sable, or as cheap for that matter? Any inputs would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Cheap ... NOT (Newer car replacement engines are ALWAYS more expensive than older cars)
    Swappable ... probable
    Cleveland Plant ... NOT (AutoAlliance in Flat Rock, MI)
    Higher Reving ... NOT (lower redline, 6500 RPM vs. 6750 RPM)

Former owner of a 1999 Mercury Cougar - Turbo'd 3L "Mavro Gato".

Power: 391.9 hp @ 6750 rpm | 374.2 lbs/ft. @ 4250 rpm | boost @ 11 psi

For Sale: Turbo Cut Heads (w/SVT cams), All New Timing Equipment - PRICES SLASHED!

EatRice

Well, actually, the car's final assembly IS in Flat Rock, MI. However, both 2.5L Duratec and 3.0L Duratec engines are assembled in the Ford's Cleveland Engine Plant 2 on Snow Rd. boardering Brook Park, OH and Cleveland, OH. They also assemble the same 3.0L that are in the Jaguar X-type and now in the Mazda6. Here is a link to an award of excellence they won for the Duratec engine:
    http://www.shingoprize.org/web/busin...re97/cep2.html

The redline is not as high, however the Mazda6 keeps peak horsepower from 6300rpm to the 6500rpm redline, unlike our cars where we hit peak hp at 6250 then power drops off considerably by 6300rpm. Hence, the 3.0L in the Mazda6 supplies more power at a higher RPM.

Now, I was just wondering if anyone knew if it would be as easy to install as the 3.0L from the Tauras/Sable.

The Jag xtype engine and the Mazda 6 engine are not the same thing.

The blocks are all cosworth cast block, however th heads and electronics are different. The New 3L heads in the Mazda 6 are different and use their Sequential Valve Timing (SVT - not special vehicle team) system, compared to the Jag x type which uses variable valve timing.

I'd assume the block can be used, but the rest probably not. However anything is possible.

No the swap isn't as easy as the taurus as electronics have changed much and will continue to change. You'd probably need a lot of new wiring. Not worth it...

Just use the 3L from a taurus and a better top end (p&p heads, etc) and you'll make 220hp easily.
    -Sold: '99 Cougar V6 MTX with the craziest tranny ever.
    -Sold: '04 Black Subaru Impreza WRX STi
    MD 3" Stealthback/ Prodrive Axleback , Perrin TMIC/MAF Pipe/Panel Filter/Catch Can, Borla SS Header, Worx adjust. BOV, Tein SSP Coilovers, Cobb AP, RB Slotted rotors, Hawk Pads, Cusco Type 2 lower bar, Beatrush Front lower bar/prop shaft bushings/rear diff support bar, Whiteline Anti-Lift kit/steering rack bushings, AEM/Autometer Gauges...
    -2005.5 Audi S4 6MT... Brilliant Red

At least the Mazda 6 is offered in a MTX - meaning that we'd actually have a 3.0 MTX computer program. Could of been another reason why the mythical Cougar S never got the 3.0 - there was no existing 3.0 MTX software.

-Nick
    2K2 Dark Shadow Grey V6 MTX
    Empire NECO VP

What software is involved with a manual transmission?

Sorry about the AutoAlliance/Cleveland mixup ... I misread what you wrote.

For Sale: Turbo Cut Heads (w/SVT cams), All New Timing Equipment - PRICES SLASHED!

Windsor, Ontario, Canada, 108634965827573, Windsor, Ontario

The big deal with the 3.0L vs. 2.5L is the timing cover. Yeah it's just a cover, but besides displacement it is the #1 difference between the 2 engines. On the 3.0L the timing cover is 3-4" longer, meaning physically it won't fit. That's why you need to run the 2.5L timing cover.

VVT would have it's gears contained in the timing cover. So basically you would have to run the 3.0L timing cover to get VVT.

In other words... unless you redo the entire engine bay, even with the wiring harness and the PCM from the mazda6 or x-type you will not be able to use VVT because you have to run the 2.5L timing cover which has no provisions for VVT gears on the camshaft.

So will the block work - YES... will you ever get VVT to work without fabrication of the engine bay - NO... with that knowledge, just buy a cheaper block and use your existing heads or the 3.0L "normal" heads.
    USED TO HAVE: 3.0L, PnP heads, N2O, and a few other run of the mill mods.
    WILL HAVE: 3.0L, PnP Heads, T3/T4 Turbo, N2O, and a few more run of the mill mods. - I want 12s

"The Chair" Equipped, world's most comfortable Cougar rear seat - guaranteed.
    PuckPuck.Com

Don't forget Coil-on-plug, which the 6 uses as well as some 3.0L Sable/Taurus.

Windsor, Ontario, Canada, 108634965827573, Windsor, Ontario

you should always run the coil pack that came with the PCM... i'm sure you can make the mazda6 work on the same coil pack that our 2.5L uses but you'll need a computer to control it
    USED TO HAVE: 3.0L, PnP heads, N2O, and a few other run of the mill mods.
    WILL HAVE: 3.0L, PnP Heads, T3/T4 Turbo, N2O, and a few more run of the mill mods. - I want 12s

"The Chair" Equipped, world's most comfortable Cougar rear seat - guaranteed.
    PuckPuck.Com

Originally posted by: PuckPuck
    you should always run the coil pack that came with the PCM... i'm sure you can make the mazda6 work on the same coil pack that our 2.5L uses but you'll need a computer to control it
    Yep ... that is what I was getting at ... it would require the 6 ECU, no questions. However, will the ECU fit in the stock location? Is the engine harness/ECU adapter the same? If not, more fabrication would be required. Let's not forget the number 1 factor ... cost. You probably couldn't touch one for under $2K

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast