SVT ECU Information
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SVT ECU Information

NECO Member

SVT ECU Information

I recently did a 3.0 swap and soon discovered that not all SVT ECUs are compatible with the Cougar PATS system. I decided not to give up on using an SVT ECU, but wanted to make sure I got the right one next time. I did alot of searching on NECO and CEG but found there wasn't much info on the subject.

I compiled a list of the different SVT ECUs showing the part number, software number, and calibration code. I also searched car-part and CEG for some build dates. Additionally other relevant info has been included.

First I must state that all compatible SVT ECUs are not a drop in swap. Once the ECU is installed, the PATS system must be reprogrammed to recognize the ignition keys. This can only be done by a dealership or mechanic that has access to the security system software and equipment. Link for Equipment There are ways to bypass the PATS system using chips, modules, and maybe even home-made parts but I'll leave that alone for now. Just pay the $50 dollars and get the keys reprogrammed.

Second, make sure that you choose the ECU that has the right fuel system for your year Cougar. A return fuel system SVT ECU will not work in a returnless Cougar.

Here's a little info on reading and where to find the part numbers for the ECU, ECU software, and calibration codes.

XS2Z-12A650-UB ---- 12A650 designates all Ford ECUs and is generally left out during discussions and reference. The full PCM Part number can be found on a white barcoded label on the outside of the wiring harness plug.

9LCM-12A649-AGB ---- 12A649 designates pcm software and is also left out during reference. The software part number is not shown anywhere on the ECU.

RJL1 ---- The calibration code is a 4 character code and is on a white sticker on the bottom of the ECU. It can also be found on the label on the outside of the wiring harness plug.

Below is all the information I could gather on the different SVT ECUs.

1998 SVT ECU Part # 97BB-BCB not SVT ECU but listed as one on car-part
    1998 SVT ECU Part # 97BB-BCC not SVT ECU but listed as one on car-part
    1998 SVT ECU Part # F7PF-DKA not SVT ECU but listed as one on car-part

1998 SVT ECU Part # F8RF-AB Code RJL1 build 4/97 7/97 9/97
    **warning** These are not compatible with the cougar PATS system (see link below). They have the PATS system external from the ECU, meaning that the pats system in that year Contour will still engage without any ecu in car. The keys are programmed to the car's systems elsewhere other than the ECU.

1998 SVT ECU Part # XS2F-UA Code SFG0
    1998 SVT ECU Part # XS2F-UB
    1998 SVT ECU Part # XS2F-UC Code SFG2 build 1/99
    These three part numbers are updates for each other and probably have updated software on each one.

1998 SVTs are reffered to as E0 and E1 or 98 and 98.5 because of the major changes in the drivetrain, electronics, body styling, and interior. The switch from 98 to 98.5 styles WAS also when changes occured to the PATS system, switching from type 1 PATS I to type 5 PATS II ngsPATS (NGS=New Generation Star). Early build 98 SVT and Contour ECUs have PATS systems but it is no contained in the ECU. These ECUs are not compatible in cougar (for more info click HERE). All ECUs with Part # F8RF-AB Code RJL1 will NOT work in a cougar. Ford PATS Types
    98 = E0 and were produced after 02/97 Ford Link
    98.5 = E1 and were produced after 02/98 Ford Link

1999 SVT ECU Part # XS2Z-UB Software # 9LCM-AGB return style
    1999 SVT ECU Part # XS2Z-UC Software # 9LCM-AGC Built 3/99
    Again these are updates for the part numbers but the same computers.

1999 SVT ECU Returnless Part # XS2F-RC Code MNQ2 ?? Built 7/99
    Contours switched from return to returnless on 5/99 so this is the first ECU for the returnless style fuel system.
    Part # XS2Z-RC Software # 9LCM-AHC Searching for info???????

2000 SVT ECU Returnless Part # XS2A-AAB Code XGT1 w/ KBAN7 strategy
    All 2000 ECUs are returnless and have the most updated information. If you are have a returnless style fuel system the 2000 ECU would be the best choice.

Due to the large difference in production numbers as shown in the Link Here the majority of ECUs you run across will be from the 98 Model year cars. In short all 1999 and 2000 model SVT ECUs will work in the cougar while not all of the 1998 model year ECUs will not Be careful which one you get and make sure it is compatible with the newer Contour and Cougar pats II system. If you want your cougar to run with an SVT ECU make sure the SVT has a build date later than 02/98 .

Happy motoring.

******** info is still being gathered and will be posted ************

Last edited by RodneyBur; 2006-08-15 at 01:37 PM.
    1999 Laser Red MTX

14.509 1/4 2.265 60'

2002 3L with SVT UIM, SVT LIM no secondaries, SVT Cams, SVT TB, 24# injectors, WR Headers & y-pipe, AEM Intake, SVT Clutch, Fidanza flywheel, Clevite rod bearings, ST200 valve springs, Underdrive pulleys, Escape oil pan, DMD, Magnecor KV85 Comp Wires, Polished timing cover-valve covers-MAF-TStat, Torsen LSD, Focus shift tower & forks, RP syncromax, SVT ECU, SCT Flip Chip, B&M Shifter, OMP FSTB, Mirko RSTB, Roush RSB, Roush Floor Mats, 2.5" Trubendz

2. Remove Advertisements
    NewCougar.org
    Advertisements

NECO Member

Re: SVT ECU Information

If you have an SVT ECU in your cougar please post and let us know the ECU part number, calibration code, fuel system type, and cougar year.

Thanks.
    1999 Laser Red MTX

14.509 1/4 2.265 60'

2002 3L with SVT UIM, SVT LIM no secondaries, SVT Cams, SVT TB, 24# injectors, WR Headers & y-pipe, AEM Intake, SVT Clutch, Fidanza flywheel, Clevite rod bearings, ST200 valve springs, Underdrive pulleys, Escape oil pan, DMD, Magnecor KV85 Comp Wires, Polished timing cover-valve covers-MAF-TStat, Torsen LSD, Focus shift tower & forks, RP syncromax, SVT ECU, SCT Flip Chip, B&M Shifter, OMP FSTB, Mirko RSTB, Roush RSB, Roush Floor Mats, 2.5" Trubendz

3L Install Maestro Moderator Blackcoog's Avatar

Re: SVT ECU Information (96.99% complete)

As we talked over PM's I picked up a 98 SVT ECU and it has a calibration code of SFG2 (listed above in your post). It works in my 99 Cougar which has a return fuel system.
    Visit: 3LDuratec.com for a prepped 3L ready to drop in!

Click here to see my Cougar.

So am I clear in understanding this will work in a return fuel 99 with full svt engine.

1998 SVT ECU Part # XS2F-UA Code SFG0
    Current: 2005 Audi S4, 2004 Volvo S40 T5
    Former: 2004 Ex XLT, 99 Cougar, 99 ZX2, 98 Ex Sport, 96 A4, 90 Sunbird Convert, 90 Jetta Diesel, 82 Rabbit Diesel, 69 Triumph Spitfire, 1989 325i Convertible

The 2000 SVT's use the new PCM. That is why they are not backwards compatible. The actual PCM itself changed to a better version. (akin to upgrading your home computer) The newer strategies are also not interchangeable for the same reason.

The best "pre" code is SFG2 and the only post code is XGT1. SVT-wise.

Like Rodney stated any returnless car can use the XGT1 code. However with the emergence of a completely tunable setup for ~$650 (SCT PRP) why would you even bother with swapping PCMs at all?
    My 2000 SVT Contour
    13.47 @ 102mph - All Motor

I have a 2002 Cougar XR would I gain anything by swapping out my stock ECU with a 2000 SVT Contour ECU and having my keys remapped? Also would I also have to have my injectors swapped to the SVT #19 injectors?

My current upgrades are SVT UIM, SVT TB, & SVT CAI w/K&N Drop in.

unless you do the SVT pistons and cams I would guess it wouldn't be a good plan to swap ECU's that is the reason I need one in mine is I have a FULL SVT swap rom pistons to intake.
    Current: 2005 Audi S4, 2004 Volvo S40 T5
    Former: 2004 Ex XLT, 99 Cougar, 99 ZX2, 98 Ex Sport, 96 A4, 90 Sunbird Convert, 90 Jetta Diesel, 82 Rabbit Diesel, 69 Triumph Spitfire, 1989 325i Convertible

The Real RockNRolla... Moderator aircougar1's Avatar

I would like to add to this.

If you were to get a SVT engine, wiring harness, and ecu from the RJL1 early 98 SVT contour... And we now know that the ECU will not work, the Engine HARNESS also WILL NOT WORK in the COUGAR !!!!

The harness has all of the same connectors, HOWEVER, there are no wires in the harness that would be used for the PATS internal ECU system...

Therefore: CODE RJL1 ecu AND its ENGINE HARNESS CAN NOT be used in a COUGAR...
    "YAHTZEE!!!!"

1998.5 SF 3L CSVT #6291 Soon to be SC'd!

+ Reply to Thread