New Cougar Forum banner

valve cover gasket replacement

5K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  jkorth12 
#1 ·
I was just wondering what i'm going to be getting my self into in the next few weeks since my gaskets are leaking oil and need replaced.

will i need to drain my oil before doing this?

can i use other sealent than RTV is so what kind?

#3 ·
the bolts break very very easy if you use a regular 3/8 ratchet. i recommend you use a 1/4 small ratchet to tighten them down. i broke like 5 bolts and bought like 10 bolts and studs which by the way are not made anymore. its pretty simple. i used the high temp permatex stuff and it still looks ok. you barely need any if i remember right two drops on the back cover and 4 in the front, where the timing chain cover meets the block and where the pulley is on the right side for the water pump. its pretty straight forward, if you break a bolt don't panic the bolts and held in by pressure from the head of the bolt so if you have like 2 needles you can twist the bolt out of the hole and grab it with your fingers. also don't drop your sockets in the hole under the fuel rail, they are a pain to get out.

#4 ·
New replacement gaskets have little textured tabs on them that indicate where the drops of sealant are supposed to go.

Have fun. That rear bank sucks donkey.

#6 · (Edited)
I got a set about a month ago from RockAuto and put them on when I had my valve covers painted. My gaskets weren't leaking oil on the engine but the spark plug O ring seals were worn out and were leaking oil on top of my spark plugs. The front bank is really easy but the back bank is tougher. That plastic box with wires in it that's bolted to the back of the rear valve cover cut my hands all to pieces.

#11 ·
I'm sure someone around here has one they can send you. We're a notorious bunch of parts-hoarders...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.