New Cougar Forum banner

Valve cover leaking. Gasket question.

952 views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  Ness1216 
#1 ·
Valve cover leaking. Need gasket help.

Hey all,

My valve cover is showing some signs of wear. Can see oil starting to collect around the gasket. So looks like it is time to change the gasket. Is it as simple as removing the 6 bolts and having a new gasket put in? Any tips you could give me as to how the gasket installs, cleaning old one ect.? Do I just throw a new gasket on there dry or do I need some kind of gasket forming sealant put on with a new gasket. Thanks

#2 ·
just buy a new one,undo bolts (a little at a time, dont completely loosen one over the other etc. and work in a criss cross fashion.) once you take off the old one you should see how the gasket is attached, attach new one and clean up cylinder head then rebuilt in a reverse fashion, making sure it seats properly

#3 ·
Hey Ness,

When you say Criss Cross, do you mean work each bolt then its opposite diagonal? Just want to make sure I'm working the correct Criss Cross rotation. Maybe you could explain in more detail. Also, do you have the torque spec that the bolts should be torqued down to. Thanks Bro !

Also, do the spark plugs have to come out of the valve cover before removing?

#4 ·
yeah just opposite diagonal.

7 newton meters, whatever that is in standard i dont know lol.

ok looked it up its 5 ft lbs.

to be honest everytime ive done it ive just done it til pretty tight but not overtightened.

#6 ·
they can stay in, they are down deeper.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.