My ebay (weapon R) header review with pictures.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My ebay (weapon R) header review with pictures.

I like whine and TT's Moderator iceberg65's Avatar

My ebay (weapon R) header review with pictures.

Ok since I just got yet another weapon R header I thought I might as well take some more pictures and do a write up. This time around the header didn't come with the weapon R badging and it shipped from discountracerparts. The first one I ordered actually shipped directly from Weapon R. BUT this one seems to have better finishing work then my first one. They are identical, but this one has all the weld seams cleaned up on the inside of the header.

Install on this header is not bad at all. You need to remove everything from the stock manifold and down pipe, along with the support bracket for the cat. Fitment is really quite good, you need to get the header portion in through the bottom in my experience. I even left the bubble wrap on it until I finished up so I didn't end up with discolored blue fingerprints on it after it goes through a few heat cycles.

You also need to do a bit of re-routing of the wiring for the upstream 02 sensor, it sits a bit lower on this header then with the manifold. Easy to do though. IIRC you just have to unclip a portion from the rad fans and use a zip tie to keep the wiring away from touching anything bad.

heres some pics of the quality of fabrication and general shinyness of a new stainless header.

The bolt on the passenger side of the 2 bolt flange between the header and down-pipe kinda sucks to get at. I was able to get a wrench wedged in at the top in a way that it would hold the bolt, and I got at the bottom nut with a swivel and extension. I used slightly larger bolts then what come with the header (came with 9/16ths head nut and bolt)

I am having issues with blowing out my back gasket between the exhaust and downpipe. 99% sure this is because its a crappy folded flange that I need to get replaced on my exhaust side. Others shouldn't really have this problem.

Heres some pics of the fitment. In this first pic you can see my little support bracket I made up on the bottom bolt of the flange.

engine bay shot before it gets hot. (sorry the engine bays so dirty)

and after some heat and in the sunlight.

Overall I maintain that this is a really nice piece. BUT some simple changes would make it much better. It needs to have some support at the header, my old one cracked at the primaries and needed to be re-welded. Now I am on stiff suspension so vibrations carry over more to everything, but a pretty simple support bracket can remedy this.

Second, I think the flexpipe section should be longer. I actually had a bigger one welded into my old one before. I dont even think the flex secion is stainless on these, my old one was starting to show rust and leak when I had it replaced.

Third....I don't like 2 bolt flanges....but changing that would mean having to change the stock flange at the back. So thats just a personal thing.

Let me also clarify that the only reason I got this one is because I put a big dent in my downpipes and for the cost it was worth just getting a whole new one. Now it's shiny again
    The ONLY Supercharged Zetec Cougar! (C'mon, somebody else do it!)
    00 JRSC 2.0 Cougar
    13 Taurus SHO
    04 Ram 2500 on 35's and 6" long arm

2. Remove Advertisements
    NewCougar.org
    Advertisements

NECO Member

Re: My ebay (weapon R) header review with pictures.

Was this one of the 100 dollar ones off of ebay? I had one on my Zetec Mystique. Totally loved it, but blew both gaskets out that came with the kit. Had to get better ones from Napa.

yes its the same one. It is a weapon R unit. like I said the first one I got came with all the badging. I have a feeling that the seller doesnt want weapon R to know they are selling them so cheap. There was another Weapon R one on ebay selling for $300.

yea, the gaskets kinda suck. I never had a problem with the one between the header and downpipe, but I've done my one at the exhaust several times. 2 bolt flanges FTL.
    00 JRSC 2.0 Cougar
    13 Taurus SHO

5. Remove Advertisements
    NewCougar.org
    Advertisements

Iceberg you showed me one of these on ebay on another thread, when i get the mone together (and time) to install, should I get better gaskets for it or will it be fine with the ones it comes with?

The gaskets that come with it work. They just aren't fantastic. I had a problem where my flange to my echaust was slightly bowed out and it kept blowing the gaskets out. If you could get copper gaskets those would be the bets though. When I looked, nobody would ship them here for some reason. They weren't the easiest to come by.
    00 JRSC 2.0 Cougar
    13 Taurus SHO

Alright sweet, hopefully with this new job ill be able to get some money for some more mods anything i need to look out for when installing this btw?

Nothing that I didn't go over in the thread already.
    00 JRSC 2.0 Cougar
    13 Taurus SHO

On a sidenote iceberg, do you know where I can find that spark plug cover?
    99 2.0 Roush Clone.

nope, I've only ever seen a picture of one other one identical to mine.

Besides, I have a focus engine in my car with a pre-98 contour valve cover. It would likely have some fitment issues on a cougar valve cover, you know from the VCT.

A great option is to pull a cover off a 98+ tour and paint it. They come with black plastic plug wire covers that look pretty sharp painted up.

Eg:
    00 JRSC 2.0 Cougar
    13 Taurus SHO

Alright sweet man thanks, god I just need some money to start back up on mods again haha why couldnt I have started mods when I was in highscool!! No money expenses then haha.
    99 2.0 Roush Clone.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast